Fold or call?

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing against a loose player. Should I call?

UTG+1 (12,040)
MP1 (10,000)
MP2 (8,960)
MP3 (11,990)
CO (10,125)
Button (10,025)
SB (12,085)
Hero (BB) (20,210)
UTG (7,515)

Hero's M: 446

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2h, 2c
2 folds, MP1 raises 120, 5 folds, Hero calls 90

Flop: (t255) Ah, 2s, 3s (2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets 170, Hero raises 420, MP1 calls t250

Turn: (t1,095) 5d (2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets 548, Hero calls t548

River: (t2,191) 10d (2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets 30, Hero raises 1,050, MP1 raises to 8,912 (All-In),

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely, he was playing in this instance with a pair of aces and a good kicker for how he started the pre-flop bet. he could have an A4 in the worst case. It's a difficult decision but the hand has lost a lot of strength with the turn. The chip stack difference is also important to risk but I would throw the hand, honestly.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Imo on the river, villain here provokes small bet and I play here only call his small bet. On the river in this not good board, raise here to value to me is not good. I play fold to his 3bet AI.

PelyaMX

PelyaMX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy CALL ... If MP1 has 4 ... He would not bet 30 on the River!
He put All in coz He think you wanna steal the pot.

I don't know what did you do but would Call him! ))

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would call here his turn bet was too low at best he's betting the ace i believe.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
I would have played differently
I would have bet heavier on the flop.
After flopping a set I would rather play aggresive and kill the hand than let another player buy a card and make a better hand
Thanks
Manoj
Bluffzone68

UTG+1 (12,040)
MP1 (10,000)
MP2 (8,960)
MP3 (11,990)
CO (10,125)
Button (10,025)
SB (12,085)
Hero (BB) (20,210)
UTG (7,515)

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would call here his turn bet was too low at best he's betting the ace i believe.

Easy CALL ... If MP1 has 4 ... He would not bet 30 on the River!
He put All in coz He think you wanna steal the pot.

I don't know what did you do but would Call him! ))

Right there is the trap. That bet is striking because he saw that the other player was betting and if he was unsafe the opponent was going to bet on the pot and could re-raise it. Not necessarily that bet was a weak hand, on the contrary, I think he wanted to fish in a partial or complete way.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course I call, it is inevitable to know that if I go passively the enemy will wait for a good river or try to steal with all-in

B

bright019

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a cash game ? Looks more like a tournament to me with a starting stack size of 10000 ? And are the blinds 20/40 ?

I don't defend 22 as a rule against a UTG or MP opener. Against a loose player even less because of his range. But we are deep enough to setmine.

If I wanted to play this I would have raised pre flop. This means we can represent a stronger range post flop and we get a bigger pot. This is important because post flop we size our bets according to the boardtexture , number of players and pot size.

He does not bet the river. ( the 30 is not a bet ). You should wonder why would you bet the river ? There are 2 reasons for betting . You bet to make a better hand fold or to make a weaker hand call.

What better hands will he fold here? None. But if he has a better hand he should have bet the river for value. You have shown no aggression on the turn so he can't think you will do so on the river.

I think he will call with a lot of worse hands on the river. That's why betting the river is good and you should call his all in there right away. And by the way , you have a stack advantage and won't go broke. It leaves you chips enough to continue.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, have to say I hate the line you took overall. Call pre is super fine, especially with you being the biggest stack. Check-raising flop is also fine, but check-calling is also good, as it keeps medium hands in the pot, also gives the opponent a chance to bluff further streets.

After you did check-raise, you kinda have to bet the turn. I think 100% of the time.
Villain had something, strong enough to bet again on the turn, so you got some value, but most of the time villains will just check behind almost every turn and you will lose so much value by checking. You had to bad the turn because 5 is never a scare card, I mean, if V is opening 4x with any hand that has a 4 he really is bad and give it to him, you shouldn't escape from sets.

As played, with such a weird line of check-raising flop, then check/calling turn, which looks super weird, I would always call the river (some decent size villain's bet).

Now, If you checked the river, not wanting to get your chips in, not wanting to risk it, then call his min bet of 30 into 2K (as it is essentially the exact same thing).
But the way the hand played out, the worst hand V can have is some 2p with an A, and bottom set doesn't do well against this. So after your raise, and his shove, I would srsly think about folding it (but would still call probably).

I just don't see V bluffing here, at the same time, depending on what stakes were u playing, he could have AK as much as A4 or a better set.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The river bet of 30 is trappy-instigating. He is hoping you will show aggression in response. Chances are he has a set himself (TT maybe), if not a straight. I personally would not feel comfortable putting half my stack behind a set of 2s here.

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call in this spot though I would play it differently, the All in on river is 80% a missed flush like A-10 spades.

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call it 30 and did not raise it, everything is very dangerous, well, I still think that there is an AK, but I still would not risk this provocative rate.

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The situation is not very pleasant .. I think it would not be worth it to delay with the rally, then I will most likely answer, other options are less pleasant

G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think this one is a cry call as played.

Hard to put your opponent on too many 4s here. A4s & 44 are the ones that make the most sense. That river bet too is quite interesting. Your opponent is either betting to block, or betting to induce. This to me is more of a judgement call about what you know of your opponent. Turning this hand on its head if we were trying to see what hands you rep I would have to think lots of sets, two pairs, straights and missed flush draws. that said you are at the top of your range, seems like a good spot to call; it's sad when he has the straight, but I think very often he has something like AT or missed spades.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems that he’s holding Ak, AQ with string along type continuation bet. I definitely would call.

W

wujaszekk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wrong forum i guess. It seems like a torunament hand.

Besides that snap fold.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're unwilling to call his All In you should have never raised his River bet of 30. Your raise allowed him to do that and you should have anticipated the what if he goes all in. So if you are unwilling to call the All In you should have just called the 30.

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call

UTG+1 (12,040)
MP1 (10,000)
MP2 (8,960)
MP3 (11,990)
CO (10,125)
Button (10,025)
SB (12,085)
Hero (BB) (20,210)
UTG (7,515)

Wow - I really have to figure out how to color text and stuff. This was super easy to read and informative.

I think its a call here. The river bet to me is just a blocker... maybe 2 pair and is clearly just trying to get the hand over with because of the risk of the 4 or a better two pair. Im not sure if he even has a set on his radar considering what you said.

The one thing that always plays into factor for me is shove timing. If you raise the river and he just snap shoves it then I might consider folding... i've done a weak bet to induce a raise before. If he tanks and then shoves after I almost feel like i'd be more incline to call.

Cool post man

Travis
BCP - horseshoebhole

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you doubted the strength of your hand, then why did you rearrange him on the river? if, nevertheless, you moved and received a 3-bet, then you must called. most likely there is AT.

Folding in Poker