Flush draws

yowtfbuck

yowtfbuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone I'm new here and decided to ask you guys this question...

How do you guys usually play your flush draws after the flop. I seem to waste too many of my tourney chips on these hands. I'm usually the one doing the betting but when that last spade doesn't come I have to decided to try to force the other guy off the pot or check it and face a pot sized bet. At least that always seems to be the format. I'm just wondering if maybe I am playing them to aggressively.

Just to be safe lets use this example

Dealt AQs UTG. Ill raise and its folded around to the BB who calls.
Flop is 3s Kh 9s BB checks
at that point I'd probably bet half to 3/4 of the pot

Maybe I'm just getting unlucky with my draws lately but i feel like I'm always losing a lot on these hands when they don't come.

What do you guys think?

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only suggestion I might have is to post some hand histories where you have these draws and allow us to analyze them.

C

Calissa007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to minimum bet it on every street til it hits. If I dont hit it, I just check the river and chock it up to the cost of playing a hand.

If I flop two of my suit then i'll call up to 3x the blind. If only one of my suit, then i would fold any raise.

Thats how i usually play it.

Dewmz

Dewmz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't bet out on a flush draw. If someone min bets, or gives me 2:1 odds I'll call it down, any more than that I'll fold.

Last hand I was in, had the nut flush on the turn..rivered a 4th diamond and no longer had the nuts..

yowtfbuck

yowtfbuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya maybe I just have a misconception on these types of hands...I'm gonna tone it down a bit and see how that helps. I was just wondering cause as of now its probably my biggest problem when I MTT, losing chips on all the draws I'm chasing

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I find myself in a flush draw situation, I try to let the pot odds decide for me. If somebody's betting big at me, I just toss them. (unless we've got big enough stacks to give me serious implied odds) In tourneys it's hard, because if you're not building chips, you're falling behind. That's why I stay away from betting flush draws unless I've also got a pair or something else that might hit.

One thing I really try not to do is chase a flush out of position. In position, if you hit your draw on the flop, you can semi-bluff bet it, then you might get to check for a free river card if that fails to pick up the pot.

H

he@rtLeSS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ill give an example how i play it.
blinds 200/400 ante 50 8players on table
Ah Qh in hand.
you are "under the gun" and raise to 1200.
everyone folds only the big blind calls with Ks Js. so the pot is 3000 total.
2h 7h Kc on flop.

there are 13 hearts in the deck. you hold 2 and 2 are on board. lets say 3hears are beeing folded by people who had them in had or burned. so ur real chance u win is: an ace,( u hold one so 3 outs). and 6 hearts. so total outs are 9. there are beein delt allready 16 cards and 1 burn so 17 cards are out. 52-17 = 35. so 9 to 35. thats a chance of 25%. so the chance u win is 1:4 in theory. straight chances possible too but you opponent can hit 2 pair or 3 of a kind so we leave that. so 25% is your chance of winning. but off course u dont know what he's holding in his hands.

then it comes on to your feelings and how big your stack is. if you have left only 10.000 chips u can push because u maybe never get this chance anymore. and if you wanna play tight u just call a bet whats +- 50% of the pot , otherwise u fold.

there is no perfect way to play this, if u go for it, and u dont hit it, you played it bad. if you fold and the heart shows up you played it bad,so u can go all in to bluff him off the pot and if he calls you have left the flush draw. you can take no risk at all and just fold if they make a large bet. or just "slowplay" if you can call it slowplay because u got 'nothing' yet.

i think the best way is make a small bet(25-50% of the pot size) to let him call and if he raises u know where you are. he got probably the king or overpair and you can call it to look one more time or just fold. but thats how u feel and what kind of player u are

jorlan

jorlan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
since u decided to play that hand with AQ SUITED u knew that if u didnt hit the A or the Q u will had the flush draw to keep on, and u realize that that was the real winning hand so. i think that u have to get involve in hands in order to win. u forgot to mention the other guy stack and the way he had been playing so. i would've gone all in on flop. u had 45% chances rigth there. gl

hunterT1000

hunterT1000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time you only want to bet a flush draw in late position with the nut draw and no action infront of you. I like to bet from any position with a monster draw (lets say open ended str8 flush). But with all things poker it all depends on the situation the game and the players.

Full Flush Poker