Flopping or Turning two pair facing aggression

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lets get some thoughts on various two pair hands when you either flop two pair or turn two pair?

How often are our two pairs getting out flopped by bigger two pairs or sets (or getting out done on turn?).

Two examples that come to mind:

- We're in big blind with say 7s10c and limps around, we see the flop for our blind. Flop comes 710K rainbow. We check, another player raises half pot, everyone folds, we re-raise and get called. Turn is J. Hero?

- We're in late position with AKo and raise it up, we get 2 callers and flop comes Q6K rainbow. Checks to us, we bet 3/4 pot and get one caller, turn comes A, villain bets, we raise, villain shoves. Hero?

I feel like I'm getting smacked around lately with my two pairs in mostly 6-max micro stakes. Just want to get some thoughts and feedback. To make sure I'm not folding too easily when we might have the best but at same time not overplaying two pairs facing ongoing aggression especially on non flush/non st8 boards.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Lets get some thoughts on various two pair hands when you either flop two pair or turn two pair?

How often are our two pairs getting out flopped by bigger two pairs or sets (or getting out done on turn?).

Two examples that come to mind:

- We're in big blind with say 7s10c and limps around, we see the flop for our blind. Flop comes 710K rainbow. We check, another player raises half pot, everyone folds, we re-raise and get called. Turn is J. Hero?

- We're in late position with AKo and raise it up, we get 2 callers and flop comes Q6K rainbow. Checks to us, we bet 3/4 pot and get one caller, turn comes A, villain bets, we raise, villain shoves. Hero?

I feel like I'm getting smacked around lately with my two pairs in mostly 6-max micro stakes. Just want to get some thoughts and feedback. To make sure I'm not folding too easily when we might have the best but at same time not overplaying two pairs facing ongoing aggression especially on non flush/non st8 boards.

Hello there quick, thanks a lot for your questions. The first example, it comes a lot of limps and you check from the Big Blind with Tc7s, okay?
How do we play from the BB most of times we checked preflop? We are going by checking and folding almost 98% of scenarios.
So, when you check and flop for example, two pair, sets, trips, straights or better, you should not check around, IMO: you should go for a bet to make the trash fold.
When another players bets into the pot, I will not raise here, because I have to remember that I checked preflop, and I cannot represent anything like now. When the guy bets you should simply be calling here and evaluate turns and rivers and the pot geometry to see if you are going or not.

You raise preflo AK in position, gets two callers out of position, hits a TPTK in the flop and comes for a 3/4 bet? You are making the pot way too strong. Do not expect to be paid by weak hands and draws here most of times: KQ and 66 are the very candidates to call and raise you in a spot like this.
Besides, from the BTN we almost never have AK combos so we must balance our preflop and postflop range. Not betting 3/4 pot in a 3-handed pot because we have "TPTK" and our hand "needs way too protection"

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

D

DrGreenthumb420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Then again we are at the micros so we bet our 2 pairs and esp our ak 2 pairs.. Sure we will see a lot of sets but from my experience people call with draws, kjs, aa type hands aswell

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the first example, I would bet (with the plan of folding to a raise against most low-stakes opponents). The problem with checking is that it's disastrous to give him a free card that beats us when we have a strong hand that's usually best but is very vulnerable. So bet/fold will usually be the best option.

In the second example, I would just call against most players. See what happens at the river -- if he bets big again, just call. If he checks, bet for value. The benefit to this approach is that it loses less when we're beat and allows him to continue bluffing when he doesn't have anything.