Flopping top pair on a wet board

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you usually continue on a wet board when you flop top pair and a decent kicker? Do we always cbet on a flop such as this given that we were the preflop aggressor?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.05 (103 bb)
MP: $1.80 (90 bb)
CO (Hero): $0.85 (43 bb)
BU: $2.23 (112 bb)
SB: $0.67 (34 bb)
BB: $0.56 (28 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with Q K
1 fold, MP calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, 1 fold, SB calls $0.07, 1 fold, MP calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.26) 6 8 K (3 players)
SB checks, MP checks, Hero bets $0.19, 2 players fold

Total pot: $0.26 (Rake: $0.01)
CO (Hero) wins $0.25

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, this is a pretty close spot. We dont have a club in our hand, so it would surely be nice to see a non-club turn, before we start committing a lot of money to the pot. On the other side bad players will sometimes chase like mad after a 1-card flushdraw, even with something as bad as 8c, and by betting we make them pay to do so. So checking is fine, betting is fine, and if I bet, I am completely happy, if they both fold. You won 13BB uncontested, which is an awesome result.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played correctly, I would even say that bet size was pretty good (maybe it should have been closer to 50% of the pot).

Flopping a flush is super hard, like insanely hard. If someone has a hand like Ax with Ac they would always pay to see turn card. If the turn is not a club, usually that Ax will fold to aggression and will not wait to see the river. That's the reason I like a bigger bet on the flop to get as much value as possible for draws that will not chase the river either way

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You played correctly, I would even say that bet size was pretty good (maybe it should have been closer to 50% of the pot).

Flopping a flush is super hard, like insanely hard. If someone has a hand like Ax with Ac they would always pay to see turn card. If the turn is not a club, usually that Ax will fold to aggression and will not wait to see the river. That's the reason I like a bigger bet on the flop to get as much value as possible for draws that will not chase the river either way

Some aggressive players raise this flop witch just the naked Ace of club and then bet the turn and maybe even the river without a flush.

They know that you can't have have the nut flush so it can be hard to defend even with a low flush.

Against passive players at lower stakes a bet is probably best and against aggressive players a check is often best.

You will often not get more than one street of value against most players on this board unless you are beaten anyway.