Flopped set - comment.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The hand I posted yesterday didn't work out so great for me. But that is a cheap leak to plug. Not getting enough money out of your pots is a very expensive leak that needs to be plugged.

So let's have a look at one of the prettiest sights for a hold'em player: The flopped set in a multiway pot. Presume no reads, as yesterday, and see if you can find a way to draw more money out of this pot (or, if you think I'm behind, find a way to cut my losses).

Stage #216722694: Holdem Normal $0.50/$1 - 2005-11-01 14:35:03 (ET)
Table: CAMELOT DR. (real money) Seat #2 is the dealer
Seat 2 - ANNA999 ($47.75 in chips)
Seat 3 - CALLEPER ($60.08 in chips)
Seat 5 - IL_GANCIO ($28.72 in chips)
Seat 6 - FPAU ($17.13 in chips)
Seat 7 - LDRUMMEL ($4.94 in chips)
Seat 8 - MICHELMP ($23 in chips)
Seat 9 - MOLLYMCGUIRE ($23.12 in chips)
Seat 1 - SALTYDAWG05 ($10.07 in chips)
CALLEPER - Posts small blind $0.25
IL_GANCIO - Posts big blind $0.50
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to FPAU [3c] [3d]
FPAU - Calls $0.50
LDRUMMEL - Calls $0.50
MICHELMP - Folds
MOLLYMCGUIRE - Folds
SALTYDAWG05 - Folds
ANNA999 - Folds
CALLEPER - Raises $0.75 to $1
IL_GANCIO - Folds
FPAU - Calls $0.50
LDRUMMEL - Calls $0.50
*** FLOP *** [3h] [7s] [2d]
CALLEPER - Bets $0.50
FPAU - Calls $0.50
LDRUMMEL - Calls $0.50
*** TURN *** [3h] [7s] [2d] [Ad]
CALLEPER - Bets $1
FPAU - Raises $2 to $2
LDRUMMEL - Calls $2
CALLEPER - Calls $1
*** RIVER *** [3h] [7s] [2d] [Ad] [8h]
CALLEPER - Checks
FPAU - Bets $1
LDRUMMEL - Calls $1
CALLEPER - Folds

Final pot: 12.35 BB.

Furthermore, what do you suppose the others had?

Cheers,
FP

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably would have raised after the flop, maybe $1.50. Maybe after the river, raised it to $2. CALLEPER would have folded anyway and LDRUMMEL probably would have called. Overall, I think you played it well.
I think CALLEPER had 4, 6 suited and was looking for a 5. He called with this hand preflop because he was small blind. When the river wasn't a 5, he folded as soon as you bet. Since LDRUMMEL called you, did you win? I'm guessing LDRUMMEL had two pair Aces and 7 or 8.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ahhh I would have folded preflop early position generally not the best time to play small pairs. Since you are in it though. Very likely to be way ahead when the flop came out. Well probably couldn't get many more bets in the pot you waited till the turn to raise. Although just calling the turn somebody probably would have raised the ace and then you could have sprung a reraise. Obviously nobody hit a wheel or any other straights. Calepper likely had a mid pair Rummel likely a weak ace.

C

Code_Blue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Probebly a 4 5
making the straight

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see him having 45 and not raising the river though (or re-raising the turn, for that matter).

With only two other people in the pot, perhaps I should have raised the flop (instead of calling). In this particular hand, it worked out nicely for me, since I got to pick them both for double bets on the turn.

(I never found out what Calleper had, but DMan is right about the weak ace: and so I won the hand)