First attempt at a Strategy Article - HORSE

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rather odd but last night I heard an old confucius saying that is basically the same as what I posted.

"The measure of a true master is one who learns from his stundents" or something close to that....

Made me think of what I posted here and how seperate cultures come up with similar sayings.

Reminded me of the Police track 'Wrapped around your finger'
' Then you'll find your servant is your master'

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks switch , read it last week and just didn't post but followed your link in the other one to re -read it and say thank you . good job .

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no prob, im actually surprised that it has been recieved well, i thought it was a pile of trash while i was writing it

P

phisig6057

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice article, obviously well thought out. I want to learn some other games to become a more well rounded player and appreciate the guidance. Thanks for all of the help

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limit Holdem

1st Level -

At this level i fold everything except aces kings and queens. With those im raising pre flop but only from late position with no limpers infront. If you raise utg with one of these, you can end up with a 5-7 person pot not knowing where you stand and spewing chips away. The idea of this level is to get through and maintain a stack, not build it. Also as a side note, dont set mine in this stage since there will be lots of multi pots where sets wont be good enough to win, you need to at least hit a fh to win. Therefore i wouldnt bother

Very well put together piece switch. I play HORSE occasionally, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing, I just try to play a tight solid game. But this above statement seems far tighter than I or most anybody would play. Are you actually saying here that you FOLD AA-QQ UTG?
I know you're preparing a more comprehensive article on HORSE. Maybe you can elaborate on this a bit more in it. I can wait 'til then.

Keep up the good work. I enjoyed reading this and look forward to more.

-FD

Nexar

Nexar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice!!

just passing by 'updating my game' and hey not bad and quite instructional, hi to all its been a long time ;) but im back

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very well put together piece switch. I play HORSE occasionally, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing, I just try to play a tight solid game. But this above statement seems far tighter than I or most anybody would play. Are you actually saying here that you FOLD AA-QQ UTG?
I know you're preparing a more comprehensive article on HORSE. Maybe you can elaborate on this a bit more in it. I can wait 'til then.

Keep up the good work. I enjoyed reading this and look forward to more.

-FD

I explained it a bit poorly to be fair, ill cover it more extensively in the individual articles, but what i was trying to say was at the early levels, when you raise utg, you can find yourself in multiway pots. So i was saying that you need to be wary with your big pairs after your inital riase and to not get carried away with them when you have 5 people seeing a flop.

You kind of want to take a aggressive pre flop/passive post flop approach with them and may end up playing qq in particular just for set value in the multi pots.

Its a good point youve raised though, ill cover this more in the holdem article since i havnt really thought about it and there is a lot to write about. Should be interesting to see where this goes when i really try and think about the 1st level big pairs situation.

jimmy jax

jimmy jax

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the post. I have been looking at horse incorrectly. I do like razz but only when Ive made a 5, 6, or 7. I find many players avoiding the razz, I see why now. Myself I avoid the stud, I find that I lose a lot of chips because so many big hands are caught late. By utilizing your advice I think I might have a chance at the stud sections. Thanks again. jimmy jax.

N

NOYEBOY08

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
good article

thanks for the well thought out expose on horse. Played it many times and love the game. The single most important element to the game is "patience" Later- "NOYEBOY":)

hunterT1000

hunterT1000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I LOVE HORSE!!!!

Horse is probabbly my favourite game to play for profit, as in 8-9 player sng's I always seem to finish top3.

I would say its a true test of all-round poker skill. Some players you will see will double their stack during a holdem round, and then become the short stack during another game.

I think the only way to play horse is to learn all the games. You say in your review that Razz is all about luck, it can be like that depending on whos at your table but thats a good thing! aslong as you know what cards you really really dont want to see in their door on 4th street you can usually avoid a really bad beat.
The good side of this being that you're likely to be called on 5th street holding the nuts, by three or four people holding bs.

ps. the biggest mistakes people make playing razz is not knowing how big of a gap their is between lets say a 7542A low and a 7654A
Learning the difference between a GOOD 7 and a poor 7 can make all the difference in profitability.

Last edited:
H

harmon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
HORSE is great game...I was having trouble with the Razz part as well. Picked up a couple of books that are on amazon that helped me a lot...Sklansky on Poker and Play Razz Poker to Win.

I think one of the keys with Razz poker in a HORSE tournament is to avoid getting in trouble since you can lose a lot going all the way to 7th street chasing.

M

Manhattan Jack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice article. Thanks for sharing. I haven't played much HORSE, but this has given me th itch to go try it out.

rainsoaked

rainsoaked

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice over-view. Well done! I love horse (especially the razz rounds though that's usually when I get the stud hands). Good guidelines for giving yourself room to stay in the game. I tend to get too involved in the Omaha portions so you (and the other tidbits in the thread) have given me good advice!