expected value

R

rehanov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am playing multi table and rly finding hard to use expected value calculation so i am following my sense
i am pretty sure i am making lots of wrong decision in terms of expected value
so what is the easiest way u calculate expected value roughly

i am plannig to play 10 sessions 4 tables
where decisions are solely based on expected value and see if it profitable or not

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My recommendation would be to play 1 table until you can do the calculations properly, then add another table etc.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say doing expected value calculations is something that people just don't do on the table and there is no point because you only want to know if you make profit or not. 'Oh I fold because I only make 1bb profit' - just sounds funny

For that you use pot odds and card odds.
http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy/mathematics/pot-odds/

Last edited:
Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of players at low limits do not know anything about the "expected value". Accordingly, their game will be different from your expectations. This means that you have to adapt to their style and play more effectively.

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it is actually possible to calculate this while playing. It is hard enough to put villain on the range. Additionally you would need to make calculations on what equity do you have vs villain range, what is fold equity in bluff spots and only then you could try to calculate EV. I think it is good habit to mark some hands that weren't standard and then to come back to them after the session using some software to calculate EV, but I just can't see, how you could possibly do all of those calculations while playing 4 tables or even 2 in addition to hand / players analysis.

R

rehanov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of players at low limits do not know anything about the "expected value". Accordingly, their game will be different from your expectations. This means that you have to adapt to their style and play more effectively.

i know that
what i am doing is a test to see if i play using ev only aganist these micro stakes

and after i finish this test i will try another idea, normally the regular blind is 3x , i will try to make it 5 x but be more selective and tighter with hands preflop

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest you learn first what EV is.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Next step is learn to calculate it offline.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i know that
what i am doing is a test to see if i play using ev only aganist these micro stakes

and after i finish this test i will try another idea, normally the regular blind is 3x , i will try to make it 5 x but be more selective and tighter with hands preflop

Then I ask you to keep us informed of this experiment. Do you have programs to collect statistics (HM2 / PT4)?

R

rehanov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont but hopefully gonna make some money in the powerfest on partypoker and buy one of them
i will start the strategy right after the powerfest and will post the results

cheapseats76

cheapseats76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would figure out a bunch of scenarios with pot and out odds and then write them down so you don't have to keep calculating what they may be. You could realistically get the most common out situations then figure pot odds is all you will need to do. For example a flush draw on the flop is 5-1 and so on. Good luck on your experiment can't wait to see the results.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
you can download either PT4 or HM2 as both have a 30 day trial period for free.