Equity and bet sizes or calling

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets assume that I calculate my equity in a hand to be 30%, 50%, 70% etc.

What do I do with that infomation?

I assume that when faced with a raise, I convert that figure to odds, 30% is about 2.25:1 and call if pot / implied odds are better.

What about raising?

What kind of equity do I need to raise? and how big should thise raises be?

I have always thought in terms of how I have hit the flop or how likely my opponent has missed it, but im interested to see decision making from a pure equity perspective.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My beginers take.

Assuming you are correct becuase really it is a guessing game. But we will asssume we KNOW our equity is >50% you want to put as much money in the pot as you can.

If you equity is 51% then 51% of every dollar that is in the middle is yours. So the more you can build the pot the more $ that is yours. Of course this is missleading as we don't win 51% of the pot or lose 49% we either win or lose it all. but everytime you can put $ in ahead over the long run you win more money.

and yes when your equity is less than 50% you use that determine if a call is correct or not.

All the while we have to be also considering implied odds, reverse implied odds margin of error and bluffing percentages. Weeee :)

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks.

Just to clarify for others, I'm not taking about drawing odds here. I'm talking about the current value of my hand, i.e. I have an OP and it has 60% equity against an opponents range kind of thing. (made those values up so don't take them literally)

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is an example of an exact calculation using PokerStove:

Villian AsAC
Hero 67d

Board 8d9dKs

Hero's equity is 56.3%

We want to pot build even get all in now while are ahead equity wise if we can. While out equity is bigger than the villians.

Now here is an equity calculation based on a nits preflop range assume we are on the button, villian is UTG 200bb effective stats.

UTG's rangs [AA-QQ,AK-AQs]

The equity
UTG: 47%
Hero: 53%

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is what happens to our equity on a brick turn and why we can to get as much $ in while out equity is big.

All the same as before but the turn card is the Qs

Our equity is now ~31%, that is a huge drop.