Dumbest Move You've Seen?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have seen some questionable moves at micro stakes, but nothing irks me more than this. And this isn't the first time, merely the most recent. Most smart players in this situation just check.

I have AK in CO I raised. Everyone folds but BB calls.

AQT rainbow flop. He check calls my cbet. Turn's a K and he bets half pot. I shake my head and call.

River is a J.

So at this point the board is AQTKJ with no flush possibility. Everyone with a brain knows that it's a split with ATC. So he tanks, and I am just saying "don't do it don't do it." Sure enough, shove.

I just sigh and call.

(Dude had J7)

Given online magic I don't blame him for chasing a gutshot. But once it's clear that it's a chop no matter what, why put another cent in the middle. It's just more rake.

Why. Why. Why.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So at this point the board is AQTKJ with no flush possibility. Everyone with a brain knows that it's a split with ATC. So he tanks, and I am just saying "don't do it don't do it." Sure enough, shove.

I just sigh and call.

(Dude had J7)

Given online magic I don't blame him for chasing a gutshot. But once it's clear that it's a chop no matter what, why put another cent in the middle. It's just more rake.

Why. Why. Why.

That would imply that you are facing an observant and thinking opponent.

Wich you don't want to face, because while ranging him is easier, that doesn't necessarily mean he is easier to play against.

As for his thoughprocess: He hit a gutter, so he's never folding. Like flush gets there whatever you want. He is just not folding. That's the important part to understand here imo.
He than sees chop, assumes you are an idiot (cause even he understands that most players are not profitable) and rips it in. End of story for him :)

In the end this is like getting mad about bad weather, hope that saying translates somewhat to English haha.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But once it's clear that it's a chop no matter what, why put another cent in the middle. It's just more rake.

Why. Why. Why.

Probably because he hope, you will make a mistake by folding. Maybe you misread the board and think, its not good to call for a chopper, or maybe you lose your internet connection and time out. Not saying I would do this myself, because I dont think, a folding mistake will happen often enough to pay for the rake. But presumably this is the way, the opponent is thinking.

Which I agree is a little annoying, because he hurt you while also hurting himself. But as with other similar situations we just need to accept, that people can bet, whenever they want. For me personally its also annoying, when someone bets like 5% of the pot multiway, because you kind of have to call, and then someone else puts in a raise, and the guy end up folding wasting not only his own chips but also yours :)

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That was stupid. I think I might have done this when I first play the game.
Maybe just didn’t know. You could just say it’s a chop before he bets and just say it’s not necessary and explain to him that we don’t need to pay the rake.
Some times new players need to some explaining

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You'd be surprised, but people will fold to this. Don't assume everyone playing is playing at a super high level. For all you know v could have had a read on you that you were a weak enough player to possibly fold to that. While it's not the best play ever if you actually think about it, if you can get the other player to fold and win the pot out thats always gonna be better.

cathi1962

cathi1962

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find this kind of play to be annoying, and I make notes on that players name, so in the future if he/she shows up on any table I am at, I am aware of their stupidity!

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By doing that he loses 5% of what he bets if you call. But like others have said, some players are idiots and they will fold. So based on what is already in the pot he could be getting 10 or 20 to 1 on what he's risking.

And in a tournament there's nothing to lose.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Why. Why. Why.

More than likely an MTT player.

I have actually seen this strategy work twice that I can remember. One time I was in a four way pot where I had checked my Broadway straight on the turn with the intention of check/raising all-in. No one bet and the river card put Broadway on the board. Everyone checked, except the last player to act, who shoved. And to my surprise, one of the other players folded. The other time, there were only two players in the pot. One shoved the river and the other one folded, but instantly claimed it had been a misclick.

In twelve years, those are the only two times I have seen that tactic work. Both times were during MTTs and at least one, if not both of them were during freerolls where, let's face it, you might not be up against the most savvy players. I think this tactic may be more correct in an MTT where there is always a chance that your opponent may fold, and it costs nothing to find out than in a cash game where, if this tactic fails, all you have done is contribute more money to the rake. The chances of it working are so slim that most regular cash game players are savvy enough to realize that it's almost always going to be just throwing money away.

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation I write in the chat "please don't add rake".
Since I started doing that people have only checked it down.
It will show them you are not going to fold to a winning board, and it (should) make them realise they are just adding more rake to the pot! (Unless the rake cap has already been reached.)