"Drawing Hand" v. "Made Hand"

D

drawingneardead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
classic interweb debating strategy called bait and switch

Your words describe this thread perfectly.

I came to this thread wondering why online players are such a joke. You have shown me why. You have convinced yourself that poker, a game of psychology, is a game of mathematics.

It seems that statistical analysis is all you are capable of digesting. The psychological aspect of poker seems made up to you, because you have no experience of it.

I guess you will begin to understand when you actually play in a game with a good player. I imagine you will coin new lame excuses. "I was getting good pot odds" will be the new "hey they were suited", or "how can I fold when I havent even seen the flop".

You guys need to read more of the work of professional players and compare thier advice to what you are giving on this site. This PO is GOD crap is lame. You are giving bad advice to weak players.

The idea that online poker games are tough because the players are better in just retarded, and the prevailing wisdom from this forum is laughable.

I can't even get a reasonable strategy discussion, because you guys have learned, practiced, and mastered half of a poker strat...

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Professional players like Dan Harrington? David Sklansky? Ed Miller? All of whom have written books which are widely considered to be the authorities on poker strategy, and all of which explain how math (pot odds specifically) are the fundamentals upon which every good strategy is built?

We're not saying math is the only part of poker, but it is essential. Well, not essential, but putting it one way, if you don't use pot odds/EV/etc, you're missing out on a LOT of edge. Sure, psychology is part of poker as well, but with respect to micro-low stakes online, it has little to no use. No one goes into third level thinking at 50nl. Most of us play around those stakes, and that's why most of our discussions are hinged around pokertracker statistics, probabilities and expected value. Because those are the factors that are most important in our games.

Live, psychology, physical tells (etc etc) play a much larger role in the game. Obviously online they don't.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[x] drawingneardead has watched rounders too many times

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[x] drawingdead is a passive-aggressive troll

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I came to this thread wondering why online players are such a joke. You have shown me why. You have convinced yourself that poker, a game of psychology, is a game of mathematics.
umm, poker is math. I realize there's more than math, but most of the game can all be analyzed using math. Pot odds and outs are only a SMALL percentage of the math involved in the game. The pure nature of the cards having a certain probability distribution can be used and much of the math can be used in the context of psychology (fold equity for example, isn't based in 100% math, it relies on the psychology and the read on how often you think an opponent will fold a certain hand). Poker is by and large a mathematical game. Sure as you get higher and higher and start playing pros it becomes a lot more psychological as you have really deep levels of thinking (like "he's betting here because I'm supposed to think it's a bluff but he knows I'm smart enough to know that so it's probably a legitimate hand but he probably thinks I'll think that, he's probably bluffing"). But poker by and large, especially against the average player, both online AND live, is a game of math and statistics.

It seems that statistical analysis is all you are capable of digesting. The psychological aspect of poker seems made up to you, because you have no experience of it.
And you have yet to mention a single psychological concept.

I guess you will begin to understand when you actually play in a game with a good player. I imagine you will coin new lame excuses. "I was getting good pot odds" will be the new "hey they were suited", or "how can I fold when I havent even seen the flop".
umm, the first phrase means the play is +ev (ie we make money off the play in the long run, the goal of poker, online or live) while the second two are just excuses with no basis in logic or math. Would you propose a player not call with good pot odds, because that's the equivalent of throwing money away, it means you have to put in less money than you'll get out.
You guys need to read more of the work of professional players and compare thier advice to what you are giving on this site. This PO is GOD crap is lame. You are giving bad advice to weak players.
name ONE person who has said this ("PO is GOD") on the forum. One. There's a search function above. Find one post where anyone is advocating that approach. I don't think you can. Oh and funny you should mention pro players. They write books, and as Chuck said, they use a lot of math. You read anything by Sklansky?

The idea that online poker games are tough because the players are better in just retarded, and the prevailing wisdom from this forum is laughable.

I can't even get a reasonable strategy discussion, because you guys have learned, practiced, and mastered half of a poker strat...

So now it's retarded, yet you said in reply to me that

drawingneardead said:
I am making no claim to knowing the ways of online poker. If I made claims in contrast to this, they were innacurate.

So you make no claim to know about online poker, yet now you know that the notion of online games having better players is retarded? It's kind of funny how you basically are insulting all internet players and then for example when I responded basically retracted everything you said, then came back to attack all internet players again.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel that my presence in this thread is no longer needed, but there's one point that I need to make, sort of a pet-peeve of mine:

To play "mathematically correct" does not imply that you cannot bluff or that you cannot take psychology into account. If you're using a mathematical model of poker that does not consider the appropriate variables, then you're using a poor model. Don't blame that on math.

It's not mathematics's fault if you can't play mathematically correct just because your mathematical model of the game sucks. It's, in essence, you who suck.

Oh, and game theory being math vs. economics, I actually couldn't say. I have a friend who's a mathematician and works mainly with game theory, so I've always thought of it as "math", but it's (as you noted) a semantical point. :)

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that my presence in this thread is no longer needed, but there's one point that I need to make, sort of a pet-peeve of mine:

To play "mathematically correct" does not imply that you cannot bluff or that you cannot take psychology into account. If you're using a mathematical model of poker that does not consider the appropriate variables, then you're using a poor model. Don't blame that on math.

It's not mathematics's fault if you can't play mathematically correct just because your mathematical model of the game sucks. It's, in essence, you who suck.

^^ this, EXACTLY!

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spot on FP. +EV poker is about taking account of all aspects of the game, maths, psychology, meta-game considerations and a dozen other things.

One thing it shouldn't consider is bankroll because to make the most cash and avoid busting you should be playing at a level where it's not a factor.

DND is playing underrolled and so to avoid a killer downswing is not playing the way that is most profitable. Somehow this makes him a better player and us retarded, likely to be felted, not solid or obsessed with Pot Odds as God or whatever insult is coming next.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I spent most of my day at Barnes and Nobles, sitting in a big comfy chair reading parts of books I had bought/were about to buy. For those that happen to own it, page 23 of Professional No-Limit Hold'em (by Miller et al) deals fairly conclusively with the situation of playing against the odds because your bankroll is too small.

I'd quote it, but it's not here (as in, in the room. It's in the house, but not right here in my lap) and I'm jetlagged and don't care enough. Anyway, if you happen to own it, look it up. Or even quote it for us, if you have the energy.

Now I go crawl into bed!

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's your quote FP

The authors are talking about folding with a nut flush draw and 1 card to come when we're getting positive expected value to call a huge river bet with several callers (the same scenario in the FD thread).
"Stepping back for a moment, we acknowledge that occasionally players can be correct to fold for that $1000. Specifically if you are underbankrolled or prone to serious tilt, it might be right. If you had just $1000 and no means to replace it, folding would be correct -- as would cashing out immediately and finding a smaller game."

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's your quote FP

The authors are talking about folding with a nut flush draw and 1 card to come when we're getting positive expected value to call a huge river bet with several callers (the same scenario in the FD thread).
"Stepping back for a moment, we acknowledge that occasionally players can be correct to fold for that $1000. Specifically if you are underbankrolled or prone to serious tilt, it might be right. If you had just $1000 and no means to replace it, folding would be correct -- as would cashing out immediately and finding a smaller game."

Yep, but I would agree with the last phrase. If you're to the point where losing what's on the table would impact you financially, you need to cash out and find a smaller game.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from PNL:

"Many novice players think about big bets in absolute terms when they should be thinking about relative price and pot odds. The classic example is a player who says something like, "No way would I call that much money on a draw."

For instance:

You have A♣ 4♣

in the big blind in a 9-handed $0.50-$1 game with loose passive opponents. You have the short stack of $11. Eight players limp and you check. The pot is $9. The flop is K♣ 6♥ 4♦. It is checked around. The turn is Q♣, giving you the nut flush draw. The small blind check. You decide to check. The next player bets $10 and seven players call. What do you do?

You call all-in. the pot is $89, and the bet is $10, yielding pot odds of 8.9-to-1. The odds of hitting the flush on the river are 4.2-to-1. You are getting great value to draw to the nut flush, so do it.

Now, what happens when we change the dollar amount of the call?

Same A♣ 4♣, except that everyone starts with $1,001. Nine see the K♣ 6♥ 4♦ flop, which is checked around. The turn is the Q♣. You check, the next player goes all in for $1,000 and 7 players call all-in. (Yes, we know this is far fetched.) What would you do?

Many players would fold, refusing to call a big bet on a draw. Those players are making a mistake of thinking in absolute dollars. Their thought process goes something like: "A thousand dollars is a lot of money. I am not going to risk it all on just a draw. After all, I'm going to lose it more than four times out of five."

It is a natural way to think. It is also wrong. If calling was a good value when it was $10, it' still a good value.

Don't think in terms of absolute dollar amounts. Instead, think in terms of value.

How much, on average, does folding cost? Assume, for simplicity, that your opponents' hole cards are random with regard to suits. Of the 47 unknown cards 9 give you a flush. If you call you expect to win 9 out of 47 times, or 19.1 percent of the time. The other 80.9 percent of the time you will lose $1,000.

After your call the pot becomes $9,009. Your equity in the pot after calling is $1,721.

$1,721 = (0.191)($9,009)

The call costs you $1,000, but you get $1,721 of value. That means that folding is a $721 mistake! In a game with $1,000 stacks, you simply cannot make many $721 mistakes and be a long-term winner. If you cannot or will not make that call (and others like it), you are likely to fold yourself into the poorhouse.

Stepping back for a moment, we acknowledge that occasionally players can be correct to fold for that $1,000. Specifically, if you are underbankrolled, or prone to serious tilt, it might be right. If you had just $1,000 and no means to replace it, folding would be correct-- as would cashing out immediately and finding a smaller game. If you were in a super loose game and expected to make a ton of money later in the night, but had no means of rebuying, folding would also be correct-- as would bringing more money with you next time. If calling and losing would cause you to go on tilt, and possibly bluff off $4,000 later in the night, folding would again be correct-- as would working on your tilt control.

But make no mistake, choosing to fold when you are getting good value costs money. If you do it too often, in the long run you wont win as much as you should, and you may not be able to win at all. "

(pgs 21-24)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

This is a pretty good summation and example of the recent "debates" regarding pot odds and value. Here we have a situation where, when we compare the event odds of hitting the flush (4.2:1 against) to the money odds (8.9:1) needed to call, we come to a correct decision regarding our equity and positive expected value (call).

I really don't see how this is debatable in any ways (other than those already pointed/refuted out by the authors), or how you can dismiss "math" here. This is essentially how you should make ALL your poker decisions.

I should add that in a footnote the authors do acknowledge that pairing the board might result in losing to a full house, or that hitting another ace or four might also win you the pot, but that for this example those factors don't change the main point that folding is bad.

Of course this is an unrealistic scenario designed to make a point. However, scenarios less extreme, but for all purposes the same as this, occur in poker all the time. The fact is, you simply cannot pass on +ev opportunities when they present themselves. It's hard enough to come across them, and the edges in poker are slim enough that missing profit when it's available because of something like having too little bankroll just isn't winning poker, and it certainly isn't professional poker either.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands