Donk Betting, when is it a good idea?

M

MungBeans

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to think of times when donk betting is a good idea. Maybe when you've connected but the board is wet and you don't want to give you opponent a free card? Are there any other situations?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you have a value hand, and its likely to get check through, if you check. Or if you have a bluff, and your opponent is likely to fold to a donk bet. A typical example is, if the river card complete some obvious draw, which you either had or can represent. It typically makes no sense to donk bet on a blank turn or river card, or on a flop which favour the preflop raiser.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I am convinced this is not a good idea, because in that case, poker turns into bingo.
Good luck.

I

Index12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you guys differentiate between someone not wanting to donk bet and checks to you or that same person likely not having a piece of flop(or having a weak one) anyhow?

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on the player. If you feel like you can get away with it and get calls with monster hands, then do it. You have to get a feel for the players first to see if you can get it.

Darsno

Darsno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the player. If you feel like you can get away with it and get calls with monster hands, then do it.

Yes, exactly. I hands when trying to build pot, you cannot expect your opponent to bet for you.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only time I donk bet is on the river obv I’m first to act and do not want it being check through. I am only donk betting with a monster hand that I am trying to extract value. Very seldom, but on occasion I will donk bet the river with a bluff if it goes check check on the turn after they lead out on the flop.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing OOP against a fit-or-fold type of player and it doesn’t look like the pre-flop aggressor hit the flop, wouldn’t a donk value bet be a good idea?

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
If you are playing OOP against a fit-or-fold type of player and it doesn’t look like the pre-flop aggressor hit the flop, wouldn’t a donk value bet be a good idea?

Or wait and bet the turn as a bluff (or value) if he checks behind on the flop. If he truly is fit or fold he probably missed if he checks. You get more information and only one extra card that can improve him on the turn. If the turn card is an ace maybe refrain from bluffing (and only bet if the ace hits you or you beat top pair.

But in general you have to do the betting yourself if he only bet when he hits so in that sense you are correct that it also includes value hands.

Against good players it is often always best to check to the aggressor but no need to balance against fit or fold players that leaks information and never CB as a bluff.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars