Do you table select?

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How important is table selection to you, and your bottom line? Do you select when online? When live?

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It’s bad to be the tenth in the poker world when the first nine are at your table.

D

dedkndy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I sit wherever I see just old folks and drunks, gambling their money away with Q3o limp from UTG and that kind of hands haha

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When I play cash games I select tables that are are least half filled. When I am in a mtt the only selection is to change position that the software selected, to be more comfortable.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online always if I am playing cash games and have that option and I have notes and color codes in the lobby .. live not so much, except on like a Saturday night there will only be 2 tables even running and they won't be full so ... a lot of the time it is all the same players and you know everyone, or almost, an exception is if one has an unbalanced number of players splashin round and then of course ....

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Naturally, the choice of online poker tables is very important, this directly affects the profit at the end of my session.
When you play live, it is usually easier to play there, because I know many players. In an unfamiliar place, I carefully play the first few hours and study the players.

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree a lot with Zveda kz. Choosing the right online table is extremely important. I try and sit in and watch a few rounds if possible. I also do this live (starting at lower limits) while keeping an eye on the table where I wish to go. This is especially true if my name is on the board for the switch to the higher limits. Understanding your opponents is half the battle (in my opinion) and being able to see the regulars from the non live is extremely proactive.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
table selection is my biggest leak :p I select too much and I have too many calling stations at the tables:p that means I play too many multiway pots and equity of my hands is drastically lower.

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to avoid players with aggro blind defence. They target me because Im a big softy, and a pre-flop folding machine.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Table selection (game/position selection) is probably the most important thing you can do if you want to earn money from poker.

As other have stated is all about relative skill.

It not how good you are (if you are above average at least) it is more about finding really bad players that do a lot of mistakes.

Even a bad nit can be hard to win a lot of money from. You want loose players that are willing to put a lot of money in the pot with a bad range.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The 6th person or the 9th person

It's chosen so that one of the number of people of the table may become full last.

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I choose the table only on cash games there is very important correctly choose the table

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I go to play in a tournament where tickets are awarded, I don’t sit down to draw just one ticket. The probability of taking first place and taking this single ticket is very small. I also try to sit down where there are few players, but there are a lot of tickets.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In cash games yes. And I also try to seat select. Ideally I want to have fish and LAGs on my right and nits on my left, because it allow me to play most pots in position. On smaller sites, which is basically everything other than pokerstars, you do however sometimes need to take, what is available, if you even want to play. At least when you get above 2-5NL. But in that case I will sometimes just not play cash games, if I can not get on a good table.

In the micros the rake is typically around 10BB/100 for 6-max and a bit less for full ring. And the reality is, you are just not going to beat that, if you only play against solid regulars. Every sensible player know that, which is also why, regular cash tables tend to break down, if the fish leave. Especially at 6-max, where there is rarely more than one fish per table.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i started playing cash games on pokerstars and i do table check. i see mostly pot size and i choose according to my mood

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say really proper table selection can double or triple your win rate. especially at lower stakes, getting a whale to your right is immensely profitable.

I’m addition, also just leave if you have aggresive person taken advantage of you to your left.

If you playing to win as much as possible, table selection makes the difference. If you play to learn and improve playing against regs, then do that!

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games it s very important table selection.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now there is a lot of game in fast poker - choosing a regular table is not so important for me. If, of course, there is a large selection for players, then the selection is important

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In any case, when you are going to play, you choose from an existing offer. I play only online.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course I do, select the table by name, buy-in, number of people and most other important factors ....:D