Phil2307

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

No limit. 1€/3€. Effective stack 500€
Single raise pot. Pot: 33€
My hand 88. 3 on the flop. I'm last to talk.

Flop: 6d8h3d.
Villain donk bet 15€. One call.
I raise 60€. Only villain calls.
Turn: 2s
Villain check. I bet 50€. Villain raise all-in
What do you do?
Obviously I was thinking of 54 but I could do that with 66, maybe 33 or even 22 but very unlikely.

After tanking, I made the call. He had 54...

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go all in in the flop

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard to say, you didn't mention who raised pre and positions. If villain was behind you and you only raised small, yeah, totally possible (obviously in retrospect) that they called with something crappy like a 5,4 hoping for 2 pair or what actually came out. If villain raised and you only called out of position, also hard to say, you both in that scenario let that third person play the pot. If you flat called last with 8's, you should have pushed back a lot harder on that flop. Also he could have been chasing a diamond flush, not only that straight. I would have figured he was chasing with that minimal lead out bet. That being said, always possible dude was a total fish and would have called any to chase his straight and you still end up losing, but if you bump him up to 120 instead of 60, it's more likely he at least thinks harder about whether it's worth it.

Also, phil laughs at the all in on the flop. I kinda agree with the laughing as it's totally overkill, but with those diamonds and that lead out bet where it's obvious he's trying to keep it low to see another card. So all in there isn't the worst play if you would rather take it down right there. Not too many idiots would call there with only the open ender

Last edited:
forrow10

forrow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to guess without tracking the villan.. but I would probably call anyway. Bad luck bro.

P

Phil2307

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to say, you didn't mention who raised pre and positions. If villain was behind you and you only raised small, yeah, totally possible (obviously in retrospect) that they called with something crappy like a 5,4 hoping for 2 pair or what actually came out. If villain raised and you only called out of position, also hard to say, you both in that scenario let that third person play the pot. If you flat called last with 8's, you should have pushed back a lot harder on that flop. Also he could have been chasing a diamond flush, not only that straight. I would have figured he was chasing with that minimal lead out bet. That being said, always possible dude was a total fish and would have called any to chase his straight and you still end up losing, but if you bump him up to 120 instead of 60, it's more likely he at least thinks harder about whether it's worth it.

Also, phil laughs at the all in on the flop. I kinda agree, but with those diamonds and that lead out bet where it's obvious he's trying to keep it low to see another card. So all in there isn't the worst play if you would rather take it down right there. Not too many idiots would call there with only the open ender
Thank for replying but read well my post. I did say it was a single raise pot and I was last to talk. It's true I should have mentioned the positions. He was utg+2 I think and I was high jack or cut off I dont remember.
About shoving all-in on the flop sorry but no, it doesn't make any sense to raise 500€ on a bet of 15€ or 20€ I don't remember. I could have raised more than 60€ though. I agree.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot depends on your image, their image, and the pre-flop action. Were you the initial raiser or did you call someone else's raise?

I'm still probably getting it in but not too happy about it lacking any other information. If they are some nuts-only OMC player I'm definitely folding, but yeah, there are hands other than the nuts they could be spazzing out with here that you beat.

That said, I'd probably check back turn instead of down betting to 50 on that turn card. Especially if you're willing to fold to a jam.

P

Phil2307

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot depends on your image, their image, and the pre-flop action. Were you the initial raiser or did you call someone else's raise?

I'm still probably getting it in but not too happy about it lacking any other information. If they are some nuts-only OMC player I'm definitely folding, but yeah, there are hands other than the nuts they could be spazzing out with here that you beat.

That said, I'd probably check back turn instead of down betting to 50 on that turn card. Especially if you're willing to fold to a jam.
Preflop, I said it was a single raise pot and I was last to talk. So raise to 10€, call, call
At that turn (2), of course I bet for value at that point. He could have an over pair, set of 33, set of 66. But when he check-raised jam then I still don't know. All the people I have talked to told me it's a call. My gut was telling me to fold. I think I should have listened to that.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in this situation, more hands weaker than ours will go into the all-in, than hands stronger than our hands, so I think the call is correct, every time you reset to such an all-in, you lose more.:)

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
54s is a low percentage hand as it is. It's a fold for most people in most positions. Maybe a SB raise in an unopened pot or a BB call. To accurately put someone on a range we need some more information though.

Considering you only lose to 54s (4 combinations) and win against 66 and 33 (6 combinations) you're going to have to call every time. Especially because you're still drawing to a boat against the made straight (that hits +- 20% of the time). The worst-case scenario, where he only shoves with exactly 54s, 66, and 33, still makes you the 67% equity favourite. If villain is taking this line at all with overpairs or draws the pendulum swings even more in your favour.

To be honest, I feel that this is all stuff you could/already figured out for yourself. So maybe the best advice I can give is to reduce focus on the bad beat. By all means analyse the hand, identify that your play was good, but then detach yourself and your feelings from the outcome.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No way I am folding top set on this board. If he has 54, its probably only 54s, there is only 4 combos of that, and we cant narrow him down to just one single hand. He could have a worse set or some kind of combo-draw, or he could even be doing something totally weird like slowplaying aces or kings preflop and thinking, he is "springing the trap" now. And even if he has a straight, you are still not drawing dead, since you have 10 outs to boat up. Annoying situation but it is, what it is.

F

Flo199992

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me its nearly impossible to fold here. i think some players bet like this when they got two pair or some good draws on turn, but you have outs too if he has 54 to get your full house, its very tricky... i would call, too

Organize a Home Poker Game