Do you calculate your chances?

M

m4roon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you calculate your chances directly during the game or use the numbers you got when you reviewed your hands? Because it seems to me that the time for counting, especially in the online game, is very short and I do not have time to compare outs, the pot odds and the probability that my opponent has a pair of fives, and not suted connectors
:hmmmm2:

2tuzai

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It takes time when u become more experienced u will know approx your equity vs ranges in certain spots play with programs like Equilab to get more experience.
i found this on the web maybe will help :
A Simple Rule of Thumb for Hold'em and Omaha

Every out gives you an approximate 4% chance of hitting on the turn and river combined.
For example, five outs give you about a 20% chance of improving. Six outs = about 24%, etc.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It takes time when u become more experienced u will know approx your equity vs ranges in certain spots play with programs like Equilab to get more experience.
i found this on the web maybe will help :
A Simple Rule of Thumb for Hold'em and Omaha

Every out gives you an approximate 4% chance of hitting on the turn and river combined.
For example, five outs give you about a 20% chance of improving. Six outs = about 24%, etc.

I think everything is practice, the more you evaluate your odds and calculating EVs after playing, the best you will be to recognize the odds while playing.

Walttinho

Walttinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is strategy too, so don't just cling to a range but your hands will have opportunities where you with a lower half will have to keep up your stack

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The work you do off the table with equity calculations and ranges will enable you to guesstimate reasonably accurately after a while.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do odds calculations in my head all the time. Most of the time it seems like a waste since the hand invariably goes the wrong way. But I do it anyway.

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the chances are there you always need to use cunning

beldin2010

beldin2010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always calculate my chances and of course sometimes I call for a 'miracle' :0.
But Yes I agree with people here that practice make perfection and in time it will became easier to calculate what you need.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically, you do not have time to calculate the chances and therefore play on the basis of experience. Very often, the bank’s troretic chances do not justify themselves, and this is in online poker. An example of the alignment is in the combination of a flash draw and a straight draw, your line will never close the river, and the RNG determines the victory of the player from the flop.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always calculate odds, pot odds, and outs. This is called poker math, without these collations it’s hard to make a living from poker. At first it was hard for me to calculate, I didn’t always have time to do it, but now I do everything automatically, and it helps me a lot in many situations. There is a table of ods and outs, the main thing is to remember it and quickly count outs, and everything else is not difficult.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
It is always important to know the chance that a hand has to win ... there are techniques to perform these calculations quickly ... however as the saying goes ... "The practice makes the teacher ..." so after Being playing poker for a while you get to calculate your aouts very quickly and your pot odds too ...!

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question.

I have found it very difficult to do a lot of "critical thinking" during online play, due to the time clock. With a lot of experience, I am able to do OK with interpreting spots and taking appropriate action. But trying to do much more than interpreting simple outs and pot odds calculations is difficult. In my own experience, I feel that I must keep my online play as simple as possible, only because I make bad decisions when I allow it to get too complex and don't give myself time to work through my decisions properly.

My real problem is that I feel I have created some bad habits from online play, and that I then play too instinctively when I play live. I do not slow down and do the critical analysis that I want to do in a live spot. Yes, 90%+ of the game can be played instinctively because many of our situations are very common and we have seen them all multiple times. But it is the remaining 10% that can ruin a session or a tournament.

So in order to adapt to the speed of online play, I have tried to simplify the myriad of information available to us. I created these two charts for myself so that I could quickly assess equity when I need to. There is still insufficient time to refer to these charts while playing, but I find that once these are in your head, you can quickly approximate them without actually seeing them.

Not sure how helpful these might be without a bunch of explanation, but good luck either way.

Attachments

• WinningHands.jpg
    WinningHands.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 25
  • Pie.jpg
    Pie.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 26
kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play poker when you don't know your chances of winning? Randomly pushing some buttons here and there ?

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
the calculation of possibilities is important but in reality it is the revision of notes against the players with whom you play the secret to increase the chances of winning a hand representing the strength of your hand. on the calculation of the possibilities you see them instantly, but as I told you they are not effective especially in the online game

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Don't play hyperturbo or turbo. Practice on normal speed games until you get the hang of it. Don't run before you can walk, they say!

Oh and yes, the former. I have to study with things like shapshove and my own study materials because I don't have a computer right now.

A

aisek

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to calculate my chances, because it is important. You need to understand all the risks and know your budget. In poker, it is more complicated because you also need to have your strategy and combine your strategy with your budget. Playing online slots is easier and you need just to know your limits. Also, it is important to know some tricks for this very slot and you can find these tricks on forums or read articles about this slot. Poker or roulette is more complicated and personally, I do not like to play such games. Nevertheless, it is important to know your limits, check your budget and your game :)

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to me outs is less the 2% per card. But if the algorythm is hitting more straights on the day you go for it. Same with flushes. You need to try and determine what the software is doing on that day. On other day you wont hit jackshit.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I love poker math and I am trying to develop to calculate my odds more accurately ever. Believe, counting outs is the easier count you have to do playing poker.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think everything is practice, the more you evaluate your odds and calculating EVs after playing, the best you will be to recognize the odds while playing.
Exactly ^
The work you do off the table with equity calculations and ranges will enable you to guesstimate reasonably accurately after a while.
100%
I do odds calculations in my head all the time. Most of the time it seems like a waste since the hand invariably goes the wrong way. But I do it anyway.
It can never be a waste of time if you're using that info. to base your decisions on
Basically, you do not have time to calculate the chances and therefore play on the basis of experience. Very often, the bank’s troretic chances do not justify themselves, and this is in online poker. An example of the alignment is in the combination of a flash draw and a straight draw, your line will never close the river, and the RNG determines the victory of the player from the flop.
This ^ is incorrect.
You DO have time to calculate odds, equity vs. ranges, pot odds, implied odds, etc. while playing. If we didn't... what kind of game would that be?? the Guessing game... umm.. I call.. hmm.. I feel it.. I fold.. No.. I mean Call!
Many things determine the victory of a player besides how the cards are going to fall.

Trust me,... there's MUCH MORE to learn in this game than it sounds like you're thinking here. Personally I have studied a lot in the past... not enough presently but enough to know I need to work off the tables MUCH MORE than I have been.... because I'm still a donkey after all these years. If you're not doin' the math in your head during the game, you're at a huge disadvantage

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Practice off the table will teach you what a lot of the calculations are so you just know it off the top of your head. Thats why lots of coaches want their students on flopzilla everyday. Studying makes it easier with less stress during a game.
Then in quick spots like hyper turbos I still do the "rule of 2 and 4" calculating my chances of hitting draws. Its one I use everyday ever game.

neontuning

neontuning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did heard to speak about App for outs, but I don't know calculate, a friend this topic say if have 20% chances when five outs, 24% six outs, etc... I'll searching how my friends of poker do it and post here.

Bye bro's

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I don t calculate any chances, but consider that such play is a great mistake.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
I usually use a calculator to know my odd, it's fast and easy to use, you need to download one

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to be able to work out your odds immediately in any position on the table and stage in the hand then you need to get your bet sizing right to take your opponents odds away from them by working out their range.
With practice it gets easier its not fool proof and variance does not follow correct maths at the crucial times in a game.
Better to understand than winging it though.