Do ANY of u agree with Allsopp here??? I don`t!!!

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love Allsops post that's hilarious. people that raise six times the big blind are begging for a call. It's a raise you could only make with Kings or Aces. When I see this raise I sit around for a little bit before I fold. I can just picture them sitting at their computer begging call call call call. Hilarious this is the absolute worst play in poker. You get aces or kings about one in every 110 hands they are just throwing that opportunity away. As for Allsop I can't wait to pick up a huge hand if I see you at the table. I love seeing that play made, it's beautiful. Fricking hilarious. You should absolutely never ever ever call this bet though you are sure to be an 85 to 15 dog or at best a 70/30 never call this bet it almost always means Kings or Aces. I repeat NEVER call this bet. Just have some fun with them and pretend you really have a decision and then sink their heart with the inevitable fold.
Completely wrong! You WANT your opponent to have AA or KK, because they'll give you the implied odds you're after. Plenty of times I've called big raises with a small pocket pair, hit a set and busted them out. Particularly if you can see in Poker Tracker that they only raise 1% of the time - you know exactly where you stand.

P

PIGGEBANK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
everything in the original post by Allsopp is extremely accurate except
" Poker isnt so much about odds, its about people and how they act. Then playing accordingly to beat that style."

Which couldnt be further from the truth.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play like that in a 9 or 10 person NL ring cash game. Not limit and I rarely play short tables for a variety of reasons. And to Brutilizer, you want to be up against aces or kings with this strategy. You would much rather have 8 6 suited against aces then ace king or even pocket queens. Why? Because if you don't hit you get out without putting any more money in the pot. If you do hit, unless you are up against a very ver good player you will get most of his chips most of the time. This play only has to work once in awhile for it to show a profit in the long run. It's not about an individual hand it's about the long term.

chipslap u

chipslap u

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that there's usually nothing wrong with a little gamble here and there.
If someone brings in a solid raise 5 or more bbs then attacking that hand with your connectors (even though your read is they are tight and have put them on a high pair) will leave you at a disadvantage more than just standard odds.

I have been thumbing through "Kill Phil" as I try and understand what motivates people to play gapped and suited hands like they are gold. I see some valid points in taking shots, but really only if you have position and can camoflage the strength of your hand and understanding odds.

To rely completely on odds as a determining factor can bring down a player. If the odds always worked how many wsop main events would Ferguson have? If you can set up a play with a 67 suited to take down Ks by all means do so. That's is where you would really accumulate large amounts of chips to your stack.

I gamble from time to time, but I also do my best to set up a situation where it will be payed off with minimal risk to me. There are a lot of interesting points that have been made on this thread. Some good food for thought.

A

Allsopp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. I play No Limit 10 handed. I only ever make an exception when I find Mike Matusow on a 6 handed table [usually 50/100] on full tilt. The guy is a clown. He is like an ATM machine, he just keeps spitting out money and is permanently on tilt. Its not unusual for him to drop 10k off on a table in 20-30 minutes. In this situation I keep it real tight but play most hands from position and just wait for an opportunity to bust him [I've cracked him twice!].

The reason I dont normally play 6 handed games is because the blinds come around too fast and I love to pick my spots and play position. The important of position is reduced significantly in 6 handed games and therefore its not cost effective for me to play. Also, there tends to be less tight players in 6 handed games which is a problem as its alot harder to bully, I hate people that defend!

As for limit, my style is completely different. I wont go exactly into how I play because this thread will probably run 20 pages long! But for limit I play extremely tight, hence I stepup levels. Not tight in the sense that, I am a snob for starting hands, because I still take situations alot more seriously than starting hands. But I will be extremely fold happy unless I am almost absolutely certain I have the best hand. That hand may be 7 2 offsuit, but it will still be worthy of winning the pot.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I heard that Mike Matusow recently threw his computer away after losing half a million dollars on internet poker in a couple of months... so unlikely you'll see much more of him!

A

Allsopp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its true, the guy is a joke - total fish. I have NEVER seen him having a winning session in holdem whether its limit or no limit. He will play until he goes bust in both. He still plays all the time on Full Tilt though with borrowed money. I saw him in an interview the other day and he said he was around $1 million in debt down to poker. Its a sad story but I have no sympathy for people that have earnt millions in tournament poker and then waste it all because they are gambling addicts!

If any of you guys ever get a chance, you should watch him on Full Tilt. He plays well but then gets a head rush after a beat and starts to fire 3 bullets at every pot and offload him chips. I guess thats a symptom of playing with scared money though.

Its true in poker that the rich get rich and the poorer get poorer. Its alot easier to make money in the higher stakes than in the micro stakes. I'd get eaten alive in micro stakes!

A

Allsopp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In fact he is playing Omaha Hi Lo Limit $100/$200 right now. So I'm just gonna camp the table and wait until he switches to some form of Holdem!

Log on and you might catch me playing. Alias - AllsoppWizard.