Difficult live spot AK vs A7

E

edgie212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live game, blinds $3/$5.

$550 effective, villain has me covered. I'm trying to figure out if I have a way to get off this hand.

I see AdKd in MP, raise to $20 (standard raise at this table). LP and BB call. $63 in pot going forward.

Flop is Ac7d2s. Both check, I bet $50 and get only one caller, BB. Pot around 150.

Turn is a 6h. BB checks and I put out a $100 bet, he shoves stack and I call.

He tables A7 and the river doesnt help. I know this is just a classic cooler, but I'm trying to figure out lines where I don't stack off everything here. OR am I just playing badly by playing top pair too aggressively?

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OR am I just playing badly by playing top pair too aggressively?

Yes exactly. There are many sets of type 77 + 7, which you will pay just as...

Perhaps the solution will be to study your villain's statistics, in order to clarify his range and ability to bluff. :fight:

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played correctly. It's just not always possible to calculate an opponent. Even if you play with him for a long time and you know him.

escurimX

escurimX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
brother ... I usually do not bet on this hand, A7 is a weak hand! being appears A on the flop ... you will be tied up in it and you will surely have damage !!!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes exactly. There are many sets of type 77 + 7, which you will pay just as...:

That's for sure! Happened to me the other day. Similar flop - I had 777; villain had AAA.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We bet flop (we did).

We bet turn (we did).

When we keep betting, we have to know that most villains will tell us if they have us beat. He is trying to tell you on the turn he has you beat.

We are betting to extract value from inferior A-X hands, and loose peels that live players like to do. Villains peel with 2nd and bottom pair all the time. So, we can bet flop and turn.

So we bet/bet, and generally speaking, fold if we get raised. So we have to call off another $380 with TPTK on the turn. That's a pretty big bet man. Unless we have actually seen proof this villain is capable of bluff/semi bluff, or proof the guy is out of line/value owns himself with TPGK, we must find a fold here on the turn.

The board is pretty dry. What bluffs does he have really? If you try to put the puzzle pieces together, the action screams 2p/set here.

It would also help if you didn't tell us what the guy had. My advice would be the same though.

Hand is played fine. Gotta gotta gotta find a fold on this turn.

So yes,

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we keep betting, we have to know that most villains will tell us if they have us beat. He is trying to tell you on the turn he has you beat.

I like the way you use the word "tell" here. Bets are a form of communication.

Hero told villain three times - pre-flop, flop, and turn - that he had a good hand.

Villain "heard" all of that, and then told hero he was confident that had a better hand. Hero should have believed him, unless hero had a very good reason to think villain was bluffing.

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live game, blinds $3/$5.

$550 effective, villain has me covered. I'm trying to figure out if I have a way to get off this hand.

I see AdKd in MP, raise to $20 (standard raise at this table). LP and BB call. $63 in pot going forward.

Flop is Ac7d2s. Both check, I bet $50 and get only one caller, BB. Pot around 150.

Turn is a 6h. BB checks and I put out a $100 bet, he shoves stack and I call.

He tables A7 and the river doesnt help. I know this is just a classic cooler, but I'm trying to figure out lines where I don't stack off everything here. OR am I just playing badly by playing top pair too aggressively?
playing top pair too aggresively is a major mistake a lot of ppl make. i can understand why as ure getting bad hands then suddenly once u get a solid pocket pair, one feels this us their chance to win a solid pot

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well calling is not an aggressive move.

L

LIONINSIDE

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Your average live player isn't capable of check/shoving a hand weaker than AK in that situation imo. And you don't have enough outs/odds to call it off.

I like the way you played the hand, but I would have folded to the turn checkraise.

Organize a Home Poker Game