Deep Stack NLHE 5: should we call preflop?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
UTG: (116 BB) VPIP 22 PFR 19
MP (89 BB) VPIP 29 PFR 15
CO (101 BB) VPIP 31 PFR 17
BTN (578 BB) VPIP 11 PFR 6
SB (115 BB) VPIP 19 PFR 16
BB (603 BB) VPIP 16 PFR 13

Hero is dealt AA in the Big Blind:

UTG folds, MP calls 1 BB, CO calls 1 BB, BTN raises 578 BB, SB folds, BB ???

Should we call or fold AA here? And why?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
UTG: (116 BB) VPIP 22 PFR 19
MP (89 BB) VPIP 29 PFR 15
CO (101 BB) VPIP 31 PFR 17
BTN (578 BB) VPIP 11 PFR 6
SB (115 BB) VPIP 19 PFR 16
BB (603 BB) VPIP 16 PFR 13

Hero is dealt AA in the Big Blind:

UTG folds, MP calls 1 BB, CO calls 1 BB, BTN raises 578 BB, SB folds, BB ???

Should we call or fold AA here? And why?
Of course call. Why would you ever fold when you have the best possible hand that will always be a favourite (or flipping if villain also has AA)

B

bananovsky1999

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't usually play cash games, don't know what the main strategy is, but i don't see a reason why you should fold aces against 1 shove.

Even if you consider the 2 limpers calling, AA is still favorite

Would love to hear your thoughts about considering folding

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course call. Why would you ever fold when you have the best possible hand that will always be a favourite (or flipping if villain also has AA)

Would love to hear your thoughts about considering folding
Thanks for your attention. The question here is that we are not fighting for a 200 blinds pot, but a pot of nearly 1200 blinds. This is what makes me consider folding AA preflop. For most preposterous as it seems. I would love to read more thoughts about it.

B

bananovsky1999

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thanks for your attention. The question here is that we are not fighting for a 200 blinds pot, but a pot of nearly 1200 blinds. This is what makes me consider folding AA preflop. For most preposterous as it seems. I would love to read more thoughts about it.
I see that as another reason to call. I'm assuming that you have a nice bankroll management, so losing that pot isn't going to hurt you so much.

And if you win the pot (which in the worst scenario you're about 76% favorite) you get basically a 100% ROI in one hand

Seeing that you're from brazil like me (vamooo) you probably know Yuri "theNERDguy" Dzivielevski, he has a quote that basically says "you have to try to make the right decision all the time, even if this decision is the one with the most variance"

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Even though its uncomfortable, probably 80% of the time you will have a 1200bb stack afterwards and 20% of the time 0. So it is clearly the right play to call as on average you make 300+ bb!

I understand that it might be uncomfortable after a good session where you have built a huge stack up, but you still have to be prepared to make the right play. If you are properly bankrolled for the game you should be able to handle the variance.

If you are playing on pokerstars you can always 'cash out' too and take your equity (less a small fee), which I would rarely do but potentially would for such a huge pot.

What else should we call the bet with? certainly KK and I expect even some other hands could be profitable depending on villain. Did you call, what did he have? Often this type of shove is with a good but vulnerable hand, e.g. AK or JJ

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Generally it is not so wise to go all in preflop because you have aces. In some situations where for example there is a big bankroll and you are in a course with wins and profits you can try this all in.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Did you call, what did he have?
I’ll wait a little more posts to put the result, thanks for your feedback and interest.
Generally it is not so wise to go all in preflop because you have aces. In some situations where for example there is a big bankroll and you are in a course with wins and profits you can try this all in.
That’s what I thought. But it’s a real hard spot to fold. We should’ve called immediately but then came this thought of deep stack into my hand and I had to think a lot before making a decision. It seems easy to call but it’s not.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a cash game player, but playing the best starting hand in a situation like this for a huge stack is a dream opportunity.
He might win against you with a lower pair or he might show AA and you'll push the stack back, but I still think it's a great way to win, so call.