Danger of checking hands down

D

dumpy620_84

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a hand that I played today that perplexed me and ended up costing me.

I am two off the button with K
icon_heart.png
Q
icon_heart.png
A good, aggressive player limps in to my right ($4). I raise to $13. Big blind completes and limper calls. Pot at $40 or so.

Flop comes Q
icon_spade.png
icon_spade.png
icon_club.png

Big blind checks, limper checks, and I bet $36, not wanting to give any cheap draws.

BB folds and limper calls. Pot at $110.

At this point, I am a little confused...He didnt reraise so he either has a drawing hand or is slowplaying trips or two overs. I put him on Ax
icon_spade.png
considering his play thus far.

Turn comes 7
icon_spade.png

I hate that card, cause in my opinion he just hit the nut flush. He checks, and I check behind him thinking he is hoping to check raise.

River is 3
icon_spade.png

Another terrible card, cause even if I was off on my read and he had any club, I lose. He checks again and I just check it down.

He turns over 6
icon_club.png
icon_club.png
and wins with a 7 high straight.

Im curious as to where you think I made my mistake. He played his hand on the flop like he was fishing for the nut flush, so thats why I put him on Axs. Then, when the turn hit, I figured he was hoping to check raise me, probably putting me on a pair of queens. Then, when the river put that 4th spade on the board, I figured I was drawing dead for sure and any bet I put out there would just sweeten the pot.

Thoughts?

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want help specifically on the hand, we would need Stack sizes, what are the blinds and reads on your opponents. Also this probably belongs in the Hand Analysis forum if you want more responses.

U

unchosen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes we need to know the stack sizes because if $36 was just a small bet and there is a possible flush draw on the flop that is where you made your mistake. I cant really say it is a mistake without knowing both of your stacks.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands