Continuation bets, when to do them and when not to

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having a hard time figuring out when not to c-bet.

I know ideally i should be doing it the majority of the time.

However, the times I think of not doing it are flopping a monster (but then often i don't get a lot of value and I always wonder if this looks suspicious) or when the flop seems to smash the calling range.

The other times a struggle is if I have tried to steal blinds and get called then there is a wet board, I figure I need to C-bet because I am representing these stong but maybe I have it backwards?

Any help would be appreciated.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It all depends on the player you are up against like most things in poker.

If you know it's a calling station there is nothing wrong with just betting then you have a hand or a very good draw.

If it is a fit or fold type you can bet almost every flop and show a profit.

But a very general rule for every betting situation in poker is to bet your strongest hands (top of your range), check weak top pairs, second pairs, some draws (middle range) and consider bluffing and bet some draws (weakest range without showdown value). If you need to balance your betting against thinking opponents.

Some players also like to bluff you by floating and bet the turn if you check the flop: Against them play "backwards" and overbluff the turn and check the flop and turn with a hand.

Even if CB is on the flop you must consider how your opponent react on the turn and river also. Some are stubborn and call with any pair on the flop but fold to pressure on the turn or river. In that case firing a second or a third barrel can be good.

Board texture if of course important but most players know that dry boards are easy to miss and most represent an ace for example after they have raised pf. It can easily be a leveling war against good players.

Position is also important both for what you represent and how often you can/will bet.

Here is a link for reading:

https://upswingpoker.com/continuation-bet-c-bet-strategy-position/

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never cbet without pair or draw unless Ace or King flop with no straight draws on board. No one folds to cbet anymore. If I think I have advantage I cbet. If I am cbetting hoping to get them to fold that has rarely worked for me. It has been a losing play.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can put your opponent on a certain range it can be easier to decide when to C bet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously the strategy depend on, what kind of hand, we have. If we have a hand, that is likely to be best, we should ask the following questions:

• Can I get called by worse hands?
  • How many streets of value can I get?
  • Does my hand need protection?
  • Will checking induce bluff?

If we have a hand, that is probably not best, or its kind of fifty-fifty, we should ask the following questions:

• Can I get better hands to fold?
  • Do I have equity when called?
  • Are there good runouts for me to continue betting on?

In general we should look to C-bet the most, when we are in position against a single opponent, and the board favour our range. We should look to C-bet the least, when all the opposite is true.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having a hard time figuring out when not to c-bet.

I know ideally i should be doing it the majority of the time.

However, the times I think of not doing it are flopping a monster (but then often i don't get a lot of value and I always wonder if this looks suspicious) or when the flop seems to smash the calling range.

The other times a struggle is if I have tried to steal blinds and get called then there is a wet board, I figure I need to C-bet because I am representing these stong but maybe I have it backwards?

Any help would be appreciated.
My strategy may not be standard
I divide by position.
OOP I check / fold all complete misses. Check / raise ( or delay cbet) 2P or better, and monster draws. Check / call good hands on dry boards, and cbet fragile hands like TP or 2nd pair on boards where I can get out drawn easily. I'll also fast play SMALL SETS on high boards because it adds some nut strength to an otherwise capped range.

IP I cbet all but the worst boards and the rare monster that needs to let opponent " catch up".

Obviously I'll Taylor my flop plan to exploit villians when possible. Examples: only betting for value vs a calling station, or check raising a Maniac wider than normal.

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The continuation bet is a topic very common in any strategic site, you should have about 60%-70% to be right.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet Bet Shove. Enough to move most reg fish off their hands lol.

Jokes aside, my Cbet is in the 75% range, I only play 2 and 5nl. At zoom I cbet more than in regular. The trick is to double barrel more.

Someone mentioned that no one folds to cbets, so if they're folding turns, they're actually giving you more money than they would have by folding the flop.

Most of the time if someone flatted a raise pre flop they're very unlikely to connect with the board often. We can use this to apply maximum pressure. Even medium pocket pairs like 6-9s are folding to double barrels if there are 2 overcards.

It's all about putting an opponent on a range, and then working out the likelihood you can get them to fold.

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The continuation bet is a topic very common in any strategic site, you should have about 60%-70% to be right.