Continuation bets

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't go so far as to say that I "suggest" it, but I'll definitely agree that it kills your opponents' implied odds. There are other considerations in NL than just avoiding offering the other players implied odds; like being able to get implied odds. While true that a shortstack doesn't give them, the shortstack doesn't get them either.

I don't know about Barry Greenstein, but Ed Miller has written extensively and many times about the upsides to playing shortstacked because of how profitable it can be if done correctly.

It also protects your bankroll if you play like a donk, like I've been doing lately.

I may have to resort to that strategy soon. :(

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding to a half-pot continuation bet in position with a flushdraw is borderline criminal in a cash game,

Then the problem arises of how to get paid off when the flush hits. How do you convince people their two pair/trey/even TPTK might still be good? And if you hit it on the turn, how much do you worry about a boat on the river?

I admit to having folded flush draws at cash games to 1/2 to 2/3 pot bets on the flop, partly because I don't have any plans about how to get paid off if it hits.

Maybe this is getting too far off topic. :confused:

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks joose; I'll keep that in mind.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not such a bad idea to enter the table with a shortstack Ninelions, if things haven't been going too good lately. As already said here, it has some advantages. It miight help you get some confidence back, then you can return to usual. Don't get discouraged.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks joe, I'm giving it a try as I type.

Sorry for taking the thread all over the place, Chuck.