Common Online Poker Mistakes by Rory Monahan

R

respira

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with everything but #2 also, sometimes I purposely will delay when I have the nuts. It has payed off many times. It is truely amazing how many people will take you all in when the smell weakness unwittingly falling into your trap.

B

beatrix

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokRok said:
Rule 2 on the auto play functions is true, but if there is a generally accepted set of tells to them, then they are open to exploitation, example:

You've got the nuts on the flop, but the pot isn't that big and a bet would scare everyone off, so you click auto check to feign weakness, everyone is more comfortable that no one has anything, and if someone else bets, you take your time to call.

just a though :questionm
I agree, no rule should be followed religiously in poker
the object is to win, and keeping the other players guessing never hurts

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for the tips, hadn't given the auto-post buttons much thought.

G

G M O N E Y

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
NewSetup

In your post you say that a delayed check is a weakness. Later you go on to say
"However, if you take a moment, people must ask themselves "Are they slow playing it? Will I be check-raised? How has he played in the past?"

My question: is the delayed check actually seen as a strength?

Last edited:
S

Smilin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to follow these "rules" a little better. I definately get distracted alot. I try to change how much time I either check or bet with, so there's no pattern. One of my biggest problems is that I have the tendency of playing too many hands, most often in the early part of the game when the blinds are low.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good tips. The only one that I would consider to be a bit suspect is the "speed of action" theory. I may notice how quickly or slowly someone acts, but I've learned through personal experience that dramatic pauses or rapid actions are often caused by online communication between the player and the site as opposed to deliberate methods. I don't put a lot of stock in it. I can't count the times that I've clicked a command that took several seconds for the poker room to post on-screen, making it seem to the other players as if I was in deep thought.

K

Kanufi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's fantastic information. Thanks a lot for sharing your inside here.
One question remains for me, though and that is the point you made about bluffing. If you get caught bluffing, even through showing your hand, can you not use this to your advantage later? As in playing similar or the same way you did on the bluff but at a time when you hold a very strong hand.
This might only work if that happens shortly after the bluff. I can still see the point when people remember your bluff hours later, but by that time you might have shown them differrent ways to bluff and used the same betting strategy when holding strong hands. This way it seems to me that I would be less predictabe.

J

jcav18

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
stakes

i find that the higher the stakes the better the game. i prefer to play against more advanced players beause they usually dont make horrible cards and suck you out of alot of money

MsStyque

MsStyque

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found this post most interesting. Now I have a question regarding Mistake No. 6.
Where can I download one of those odds calculators?

Many online poker players have downloaded
"odds calculators" that give precise readouts
of the probability of any certain combination
of cards.

B

Bke20

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tips!!! Hope my play gets better.

C

coendp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"The "Commonly Accepted Formula" is this:

A delayed check = Weakness

Instantaneous call = Strength

Instantaneous check = Weakness

Quick bet/raise on turn or river = Strength"

I think this is a bunch of crap. For example, I always act fast, not out of some strange notion of what people are going to think, but due to the fact I have 4-5 tables going at once and want to get down to business...

B

Buster Gonad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
jdecost1 said:
One additional thing i have learned from playing, is playing while you have friends in the room not only is distracting they like to be back seat poker players which makes it tough. So that would be the only thing I would add.
:beer: jdecost1
I agree, often when I am on a marginal call/fold scenario, and I am thinking, my mate will shout over the top "Call" or "all-in" etc, and I find myself doing what he has just said, almost without questioning it!!! It is crazy, but afterwards I think why did/didn't I call/raise/fold that - as it wouldn't be the normal move that I would make without interference.

Buster Gonad
"RAISE RAISE RAISE!!!"

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amen, sister. With all due respect to Rory and everyone else who's ever written a poker manual, there's only one poker "Bible" and it's Super System.

I

IanG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
very helpfull again. thanks for the insight

I

Inger05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Great advice, especially the talking too much section.

N

newmania20000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting thread with a couple nuggets of wisdom in it. I like it a lot.

lightning36

lightning36

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest problem this past week was getting distracted by my kids (running around the house yelling) during two tournaments. Lost my focus and made impulsive moves that cost me. Maybe a set of chains and some tape will help ... hehe

G

GiddyI

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my first post...WOO HOO...I have to disagree with the whole time frame betting thing. I'm a speed better no matter if it's online of offline...If I don't have the players read after a while, then I, personally, shouldn't be playing. I always know what I'm gonna do within a matter of seconds, whether it's bluff, raise, call, or fold...works best for me and has gotten me far.

Devilpoker78

Devilpoker78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rammer is the super system u mentioned by Doyle Brunson? Anyway that was a great guide, thumbs up. I think the most difficult skill to master on the simplest level is the ability to control your emotions and feelings while playing poker. The best example is getting on tilt. Alot of people say that they wont get on tilt, but it does happen, it is after all human nature and most of the time people lose out in these kinds of situations. Also another thing which is difficult to do is to fold a good hand, etc two top pairs, and trips.

Crippler450

Crippler450

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do both a delayed check AND instantaneous check show weakness? Or are you just saying that checking shows weakness? ;)

F

FrankieGreen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
very true

very true very true you couldnt have said it better :beerglass

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokRok said:
You've got the nuts on the flop, but the pot isn't that big and a bet would scare everyone off, so you click auto check to feign weakness, everyone is more comfortable that no one has anything, and if someone else bets, you take your time to call.
Yes, I've done this many times before. It works wonders when everyone is auto-checking because it will encourage someone to step up and attempt to bluff. That's when you punish them for their foolish arrogance! MUAHAHAHA! MUAHAHAHA! :evil: