Is check-raise with set a good play?

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm playing 6 max 2NL zoom. When I call a raise out of position and flop a set I try to check-raise but I rarely get paid.

Example: I call a raise in the small blind and flop a set. I check, the opponent checks, I check, they check, I jam the river, they fold.

Example: I call a raise in the small blind and flop a set. I check, the opponent bets, I raise 2/3 pot, they fold.

Example: I call a raise in the small blind and flop a set. I check, the opponent checks, I jam the turn, they fold.

Is it okay to bet instead of check-raise?

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depends on the structure of the flop and the possible hands of your opponent, not always opponents get their cards on the flop. You play too aggressively, and you can only get a call from strong hands, which the opponent does not often have.:)

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
6Max

6 Max has few players and a calmer game players will not pay their check-raiser:joyman:

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
bec they really don't have anything to call you down, the hardest part in poker is making a huge hand and getting paid

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm not the aggressor preflop then I wouldn't check-raise sets. My opponent will often c-bet bluff and I think I can get more chips out of him if I call his c-bet first. Because maybe he continues to bet on the turn even though he's just bluffing. If you confront him directly with a reraise, he will fold his bluff. If you just call him, you're giving him a chance to keep bluffing.

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends very much on the board texture. If it is a very dynamic board with many draws, you will get more calls.

And in general, if you want to get called on the river by an opponent who hasn't shown any aggression postflop, I wouldn't jam but adjust the bet size accordingly.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I think my opponent hit a pair on the flop, then I make a small bet first...

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm playing 6 max 2NL zoom. When I call a raise out of position and flop a set I try to check-raise but I rarely get paid.

Example: I call a raise in the small blind and flop a set. I check, the opponent checks, I check, they check, I jam the river, they fold.

Example: I call a raise in the small blind and flop a set. I check, the opponent bets, I raise 2/3 pot, they fold.

Example: I call a raise in the small blind and flop a set. I check, the opponent checks, I jam the turn, they fold.

As many posters said there are a lot of things to consider.

Sometimes though the play is to just check and call on the flop, give your opponent a change to improve or to think you have a marginal hand.

Then they may continue bettin on the turn (with bluffs to knock you out, or with strong hands they don't plan on folding). You can then spring your check raise ON THE TURN, when the pot is bigger and your opponent feels more committed to the pot.

It tends to work pretty well, and if yor opponent doesn't have much and they just check the turn behind, well, they probably would've have called your check raise on the flop anyway!

A good question to ask is "How can i get the most value from the weaker hands in my opponent's range" because usually when they have a strong hand the hand will play itself.

And remember that making a strong hand is only the first part of getting paid, the harder part is your opponent having a strong enough hand to give you action (it takes two to tango).

So don't necesarily be disappointed when your opponent's fold to your raises, a lot of time they'd be folding no matter what you do because they just don't have much of a hand!

Hope that helps, and if you'd like more strategy check out my best of playlist http://gripsed.com/win and feel free to subscribe to my youtube channel as well, It's Free!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In this situation, I almost always just call!!! At the NL2 limit, players play so badly and aggressively that very often you don’t have to show aggression, opponents will do everything themselves)))

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If I'm not the aggressor preflop then I wouldn't check-raise sets. My opponent will often c-bet bluff and I think I can get more chips out of him if I call his c-bet first. Because maybe he continues to bet on the turn even though he's just bluffing. If you confront him directly with a reraise, he will fold his bluff. If you just call him, you're giving him a chance to keep bluffing.

I like the line of thinking.
If villain is the aggressor, I like to check and call the CBet on the flop. If the CBet doesn't come though, get straight in there with a bet on the turn.

Generally, I am of the school of BET YOUR SETS. This doen't mean shove.
The best thing about a set is that it is hidden. You want to be building the pot, but being aware of the straight and flush draws. If the board pairs and your set turns into a boat, you can check on the turn and then over-bet the pot on the river.

The other alternativ is to find a different game/format. You should be finding the games where you have the edge. Sounds to me like you are playing in games where maybe you don't.

One thing to consider is -- despite all the advice saying "Do X" or "Do Y"... please keep in mind that this doesn't mean ALWAYS DO X or ALWAYS DO Y. You should avoid ALWAYS doing the same thing. Without variety in your game, you will become predictable and people will always be able to avoid you when you hit and abuse you when you don't.

Cheers,
JT

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its never a yes or no answer but almost always it depends. I would always check raise a flop with a set it its really good chance they will call me. Let say they raised and I called with 55 and the flop is AQ5 2 hearts. Here they have a good chance of having the ace or queen and possible flush or straight draws. Same situation but the flop is 752 rainbow. Unless they have a big pair whats going to call us? No draws and not likely they have a set so really what value is there to play fast and hard.

lostboy2020

lostboy2020

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

When playing online a lot of players are uber aggressive, so I like to check top set while eyeballing flush and straight draws. invariably a bet will appear and at that time i show them who's large and in charge sure still gotta dodge a few outs but would rather bet a made hand than a hope for hand. oh and often times my set upgrades giving me the nuts

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Check raise when you have many strong hands ans bluffs in your range. If you raise will pocket 66 on AK6 board after calling from BB, your opponent can put you on a likely set of 66 and fold most of his range.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If there are draws that your opponent will be bluffing, then check raise and charge their draws.

Sometimes it's good to check raise when you put your opponent on overpairs

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can start threebetting preflop if opponents are just stealing with random cards. Play the small PP like a big hand.

Out of position it's hard to control pot size. I would donk bet the flop and see how he reacts. I sometimes check back on the turn if they call the flop bet.

N

n0n4m3

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not all shy, not my option. On the amateur.

F

Frankyy97

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If you think they have a good hand too - Yes!
If you think they try to bluff you - No! Let them bluff!

zamana80

zamana80

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It depends of your opponent's style and your goals.
When i need to get more chips - i would probably slowplay.
But sometimes i feel bored and want to play aggressive so raise and wait someone to push on me :)

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
In general check-raising a set on the flop is a good play, because there are a lot of scenarios where a scary card could slow down the action on the Turn, if Villain has an over pair for example on a flat board like 862, if you don't build up the pot, an A, K, a card that complete the straight may make villain think twice before calling. Also if there is a flush draw and you do check-raise Villain can put you on that draw and if the draw doesn't complete on the river and you move in there is a big chance that he calls.