Chasing the flush

B

brewdawg69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you guys thoughts on doing this? I always go for it if the bets ahead of me are reasonable, the board doesn't pair, I have a high flush draw, etc. Does this make me a donkey lol? I think if the price is right, go for it.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We've been having a discussion of chasing in general at

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/when-ok-chase-122602/
Most of it should apply to flush draws.

The key is pot odds & implied odds. Large pots means you should call more, large bets means you should fold more.

In hold'em any 2-card flush usually wins; just beware with less than a jack high. Full houses are rare but you can tell a lot of the time when somebody makes one.

J

jokerjay311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are four flushed and the board isnt paired then id say raising with it is a solid option. ur oppenent wont put u on it and if u hit it could pay off nicely.

S

Syfted

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only chase a draw if you can win a HUGE pot.

Under most circumstances, I would not chase a draw.

If severely outmatched, it might be worth it too. Use luck to your advantage when necessary.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If hit a pair and have an A or K flush draw I have been pushing all in especially late in tournements. Let's Say I have A9d and the board hits two more d's and a 9. I am almost gonna push.

S

Syfted

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If hit a pair and have an A or K flush draw I have been pushing all in especially late in tournements. Let's Say I have A9d and the board hits two more d's and a 9. I am almost gonna push.

I'm not sure a push is entirely necessary. I feel like in most situations, you can accomplish the same thing while putting fewer chips at risk.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have the nut flush draw it will depnd on my stack but yes I do agree with you. If I have only the drawo there is no way I am going all in. If I also hit a pair I might.

I'm not sure a push is entirely necessary. I feel like in most situations, you can accomplish the same thing while putting fewer chips at risk.

stevencool1

stevencool1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess you would say I am the flush king. If I have a ace or king with a same siut card and there are two on the flop I'm going hunting the flush. A large majority I hit the flush. In a game I played today, I got to the money by the flush two times. And a couple a times when four of a siut is on the felt and I have the top kicker. I love the flush. It beats straits and sets.
in my oppinion, only donks call winners that. I've seen pro's win with 2" and 3" . and when low cards win over top pair. are they donks?
If you have the best cards, play them. don't worry about chatroom banter.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you would say I am the flush king. If I have a ace or king with a same siut card and there are two on the flop I'm going hunting the flush. A large majority I hit the flush. In a game I played today, I got to the money by the flush two times. And a couple a times when four of a siut is on the felt and I have the top kicker. I love the flush. It beats straits and sets.
in my oppinion, only donks call winners that. I've seen pro's win with 2" and 3" . and when low cards win over top pair. are they donks?
If you have the best cards, play them. don't worry about chatroom banter.

If you really hit the flush the "large majority" of the time, get me a call so I can put in your buyin to the wsop. The chance of hitting the flush is only 40%.

Now getting back to the original discussion, this is relatively good odds. It means you only need to have 1.5:1 pot odds to call correctly.

If you also have a pair, I would recommend betting 4xBB. Don't push because if you push you have created the worst pot odds possible for yourself, and if someone calls you they will have your pair beat (unless they are donks themselves).

On the other hand, if you bet 4xBB, you often will keep the low flush draws in because they will think they have pot odds. You may also see bottom pair or middle pair calling because they think you only have a flush draw. Put simply, you have nothing to gain from pushing with your flush draw & pair.

K

KingTurd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually chase after them when in good position or outchip the other players in the hand. often times i use a reraise to better disguise what i am up to.

K

khicks26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if your chasing a flush you only win 33% of the time after the flop. and if your still chasing on the river you win like 15% of the time. so if you can see the turn and river cheap i tkink its ok. plus most of the time your hand is face up, and only a donky is going to pay you off, so you need a good read on the player to. in the long run 33% and 15% is not profitable poker.
that said what you want is a good combo draw with suited connectors. 56s, 67s type hands, that will make a str8 as well as a flush. and you have a 51% chance after the flop if it hits right for you. people over value flush cards way to much. thats why they are losing players.

P

PyroPokerPlayer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've learned from experience that flush draws rarely hit...no matter what others say, it is simply the truth. Dont chase with one because it is nothing. If you hit, congrats but now everyone knows what u hav and u have officially sucked out. And if not, You have a high card. Its a lose lose situation.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've learned from experience that flush draws rarely hit...no matter what others say, it is simply the truth. Dont chase with one because it is nothing. If you hit, congrats but now everyone knows what u hav and u have officially sucked out. And if not, You have a high card. Its a lose lose situation.

That's crap. It's not sucking out at all if you have proper pot odds. It's all about expected value. And you WILL hit a flush around 35% of the time if you chase it on the flop, 20% on the turn. And everyone may know what you have, but if you had pot odds who cares because you made a +EV play that you should have made.

It is by no means a lose lose situation.

K

khicks26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with pot odds yes. but like i said, alot of players over value suited cards to the point of calling bets preflop with crap like Q2, J6 and the like. which is not plus EV. then they suckout and think they made a good play. i see this in tournys more than cash games. i think because players are there to gamble more than play poker. which is fine with me if they are chasing preflop with a .88 chance to make a flush on the flop.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have flushy days, and then might go a week without a flush in sight.

It is usually a situation where the odds tell you what should be done. today I limped the sb into a family pot with 10-5 sooted. I never play play 10-5 but the flush flopped after I limped getting 15-1 odds to do so. I wasn't about to let anybody chase a forth suit, so I bet out, first to act, and took that pot down.

Unless you are a cardrack, you have to play connectors, and chase hands to some degree.

K

khicks26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with no raise in front of you. hell yeah you can complete 10-5s in the small blind. i see nothing wrong with this. but just play the hand for what it is, 10-5s. always great to take a pot down with a hand like that.

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing a freeroll earlier today and got chewed out by a guy for chasing a flush. I had 2 suited cards and 2 more came on the flop. I also had the ace. On the flop, there was only king high. He ended up having a pair of kings with a weak kicker and thought I was a donk for chasing the flush. With outs that included a flush and an ace I don't think it was a donk call at all consider he only min raised it as well...what is there to scare me?

H

hockeyaddict

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When chasing a flush either go after one if u got a gut feeling your going to hit it. Or if it cost less then 10% of ur roll late. Or use it as all in bluff to try to knock every1 else off the hand and jack the pot.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When chasing a flush either go after one if u got a gut feeling your going to hit it. Or if it cost less then 10% of ur roll late. Or use it as all in bluff to try to knock every1 else off the hand and jack the pot.

Thanks, I'll remember to use this next time I have a gut feeling, especially if my pot odds are horrible to call.

M

mitchellz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a sucker for chasing the flush. I have won some big pots. I have also loss my ass. I usully do it when I am short stacked and the pot is big. I thought the odds were bigger than 35%. Maybe I should rethink my options.

S

sliver101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ill chase a big fl draw if its cheap but i reckon it has cost me more than its won me over time

K

KDS63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the other hand, if you bet 4xBB, you often will keep the low flush draws in because they will think they have pot odds. You may also see bottom pair or middle pair calling because they think you only have a flush draw. Put simply, you have nothing to gain from pushing with your flush draw & pair.

A caveat here... this implies that the others have a clue about pot odds rather than figuring the flush will always hit. Playing higher buy-ins this might work. Playing freerolls and micro-buy-ins, it's very possible that anybody with 4 to the flush (even if they have 2-3 in the hole) will push against your raise -- and then the question is, do you fold or call? You're ahead of the clueless crowd, but have to be cautious if your top card is 10 or lower.

chipeverett

chipeverett

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A rule that I have adopted that has saved me some heartache is to not chase beyond the turn, unless a) it's free or small, or b) the payout is gonna be huge, which in that spot you're probably already committed.

z28_RoadRage

z28_RoadRage

Road Warrior
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest leak is chasing the flush.
I limped with K4 sooted on the button once and when I hit the nut flush on the flop, UTG freaked cause he had slowed played his Aces and didn't improve to a boat.
I have learnt to finally drop them after the turn if the odds aren't there.

H

hastetheday

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't resist a two suit flop when you got two in your hand, i know its about a 50/50 but i always end up drawing for it

Full Flush Poker