changing my game and losing HELP PLEASE

baxterdog21

baxterdog21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So a few weeks ago I check this site Pokeredge that collects hand stats, put in my name and apparently i am a BOMB loose super aggressive "other players may fear me at the table". Strength-- aggressive nature causes fear and win a lot of pots this way. Weakness--often enter pots behind and aggression gets me trapped. All this according to Pokeredge and I do see it in my game. So all this to say, I tighten up and suddenly develope a fear of getting trapped so my aggression faulters. Three weeks of losing,losing, losing. bankroll gone! Now i'm getting donkey screwed im freerolls AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGG! Me pulling out my hair. Now I don't claim to be great at this game, but I do read a lot of poker books, watch the game on TV, watch the pros online, read a lot in the forumns, try to calculate odds and all that. I'm just frustrated because as I try to tighten up my game and work on weakness but now I am doing worse than before. RANTING, RANTING RANTING!:banghead: Any advice from you guys or gals who have been there and done that. Pleassssssssse

M

mattsat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes this happened to me and i went on a bad streak but moved to omaha and im happy

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go back to what you were doing before, when you were winning.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go back to what you were doing before, when you were winning.

This.

I've gone through periods of time where I changed up my play drastically and had losing streaks as well. Each time I went back to my usual style and actually won more then. It seems to me that these are fairly typical growing pains that anyone trying to improve their game goes through. You start out bad, playing too many hands. Then you learn the starting hands and improve, and find out that tight is right! Then you realize that amping up the aggression helps your win rate, so you go overboard and lose for a while until you find the right balance.. Then you discover pot odds, and position, and the gap concept, what your 'M' means, etc etc etc.

I always end up going back to what works, but then I have yet another weapon or piece of information that makes my game stronger.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't pay attention to that poker edge free thingie. It just masses everything together from all game types and isn't very accurate at all. So if you play HU for example you'll be a maniac pretty much regardless of your playstyle.

Don't change your style to fit into some "desired" groove...just do what works.

TWiTCHaH

TWiTCHaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just checked out that site and it said the same exact thing, word for word on my SN. I wouldn't worry about it too much, probably just random text.

R

Ray

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is what it says bout me

Pre-Flop Tendency: TIGHT - The Poker-Edge software automatically color codes tight players in RED for easy identification.

Player Type : Congratulations, you are a Shark (Tight-Aggressive/Aggressive). Your Tight-Aggressive PreFlop play and Aggressive PostFlop play will earn you great profits at the Poker Table. The Poker-Edge software clearly shows you the Sharks by placing an icon next to their name at the table so you can aviod confrontations.

Strengths: You are selective with your starting hands, giving you an edge over looser players. It's hard to tell when you are bluffing because you are always aggressive. You are on the winning side of a majority of your showdowns.

Weaknesses: As a shark, you have few weaknesses. You may get bored from winning all the time.

Best Advice: Get an elbow brace so you don't develop arthritis from dragging in all those pots.

I wish:confused: i am at best a break even player

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a bomb at 3 sites, PS, FT, and bodog.

I am loose, semi-loose and tight.

LOL

WTF does that tell anyone? Nothing. The stats they collect may go back to your very first days playing, when you were still unsure whether a straight beats a flush.......;)

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the lesson here is to tweak your game, as opposed to overhauling it. If you're winning, and you think you could be winning more, change your game gradually. If you want to tighten up, select a couple hands (low suited connectors, for example) to play tighter than normal. Once that's working, move on to another hand.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That doesn't mean it couldn't do with a lick of paint.

E

etrong

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my pop said it best if it aint broke dont try to fix it

B

bustme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am rated a rock... But pokeredge is illegal on pokerstars since it gives an unfair advantage.

baxterdog21

baxterdog21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
YEAH I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED ITS ILLEGAL BECAUSE IT COLLECTS DATA FROM PLAYERS IN HANDS THAT YOU ACTUALLY DIDN'T PLAY IN WITH THEM. I DON'T USE IT IN PLAY, JUST FOUND IT WHILE SEARCHING FOR TRACKING PROGRAMS I CAN USE.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE--I WILL BE MOVING BACK TO MY OLD STYLE OF PLAY. I'LL TWIK IT LATER ON WHEN I GET SOME CONFIDENCE BACK.

Last edited:
Hookt4eva

Hookt4eva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ohhhhhhhhhh

my advice is 2have more patience an "do you" play what you feel an weather you win or loose you confident that you made the call
just slow own abit you sound like ur rushing in ur words maybe 2u ur not but with the knowledge an game you got you do gd.\\\\

patience is the key verything else is a formula gl on ur game :cool:

Last edited:
diceme

diceme

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience is HUGE when ever I start losing I usually quit playing for a bit then when I start up again I usually feel fresh and start off by taking my time and playing the game. Usually u have to get past all the donks first but then the game usually gets much better

Top 10 Games