Calling Min-Raise When You're Likely Behind

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep getting in situations where I have a decent hand and raise for value, but then I get min-raised, indicating that villain has a better hand, but the odds almost always say to call. Is this correct strategy, that is, accepting the odds and continuing? Or is it better to fold and forget odds.

My opinion is that you have to call, but you won't like it. You will lose a lot of these hands for a lot of money, but occasionally your cards will come in statistically correct over the long run, so you should come out ahead, especially if there is a chance the min-raise is a bluff.

Other opinions?

NiceNisus

NiceNisus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey

i think i know what you're talking about. and sometimes i'd agree it's right to call. but sometimes these people are sneaky, and begin min-raising, but by the time showdown comes they have managed to get you to invest a decent amount of chips. know what i mean lol?

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody else has any opinions on dealing with min-raisers? By the way, what is a "donk bet?" It seems similar to a min-raise in that the odds usually suggest calling. I'm not sure, since I really don't know the definition of donk bet.

I'm talking post flop min-raisers, BTW. Like you raise on the turn with two pair after a check, and then you get min-raised for double your bet. What kinds of hands could do that? Sets, straights, better two pair, bluffs? But you usually have pot odds to see the river, even though they're really low, but you're probably not drawing dead. What should you do?

NiceNisus

NiceNisus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just call

If you are not sure whether to call or fold, and they are min-betting and you have a decent chip stack- just call them down and see what they are min-betting you with.
otherwise if you dont have much chips id suggest pushing or folding.
If you call them down once you should be able to gain some useful information. right? plus, assuming you're playing decent hands, calling a min-bet on a hand where you didn't completely miss the flop should be easy. its only when the min bet turns into a pot bet on the river that it becomes a hard decision, otehrwise id say you have odds to call

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Min. raise and min. betting is a great way for you to draw out. Especially if it is a multi-way pot. I would definately call. If someone is giving you tremedous pot and implied odds I would call.

If you see someone start min. betting on every street that's usually someone with 2nd or 3rd pair. Don't try to bluff them or push them out of the pot they WILL call with anything.

Another real fun one is someone who ALWAYS calls. Those are yummy. Value bet on every street and try to get it all in there by the river. You will get called !!!

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You answered your own question. The odds say to call. Therefore, call.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You answered your own question. The odds say to call. Therefore, call.

Good, I wanted someone to back me up, since I hate it when that happens but you have to call anyway. Another play, maybe better, would be to check when OOP and then react to what villain does. Your OOP bet probably won't get any more money into the pot anyway unless villain has something good.