Call or fold here?

Dsteele02

Dsteele02

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is Dsteele02(on most us freindly sites) and I have a situation to run by your keen minds.
Before we start I should tell you I pegged villian as very tight preflop and very aggressive post flop. I've made this assumption based on the various times I see his holdings in showdowns over a few hour period. He has position.

Blinds: 150/300 no ante
My Holdings: Kd Qd
Villains action preflop(from the button): Raise to 750
SB Folds
My action from the BB: Call 750 (current pot 1650)
Flop brings: Qs 5d 3d
My Action: Raise 825
Villians Action: Call 825(Current pot 3300)
Turn Brings: Js
My Action: Raise 3300
Villians Action: Call 3300(Current pot 9900)
River Brings: 10s
My Action: Check (I'll tell you in a bit)
Villians Action: Raise All In (He has me covered)
Final Board: Qs 5d 3d Js 10s

My Thoughts: I put my opponent on A K preflop. He has a nasty habit of adjusting the raise to suit his holdings, and I had seen him raise precisely two and a half the blinds and show A K 3 times. I have a sneaky suspicion that the only way my opponent has a flush here is with AKs. The smooth call on the flop and the turn more than aroused my suspicion, and seemed to me at the time either a flush draw(once we get to the turn), or a set. I understand that by checking the river I also set him up to try and steal the pot, but I told myself I wanted to see anything but a spade or a 10 there, and I managed to get both(My luck precisely). Obviouslt a thousand other possibilities occur to me.
I.E. He had a busted dia draw, he had AQ among others.
Tell me what you do in this situation and after some feedback I'll let everyone know what action I took and the results.

smokin-aces

smokin-aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if he is super tight preflop i would respect his raise and most likely let KQ go, its not that great a hand (even if it is all dressed up), the only way i would have called that was if i had a larger stack

Dsteele02

Dsteele02

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if he is super tight preflop i would respect his raise and most likely let KQ go, its not that great a hand (even if it is all dressed up), the only way i would have called that was if i had a larger stack

My thoughts exactly. That and the only hand I could really beat was a busted Dia draw and it made no sense for him to have a dia draw. As I said he is very tight preflop and I had the K and Q of dia's. As it turned out he did, and I kid you not, show AKs. Thats the first time i've ever been at a table and seen one come up. He won the hand but I won the battle.
I semi jokingly typed while I was contemplating my decision: Royal? And everyone at the table lol'd. I responded he either has a royal or a straight to the ace. I folded and he showed. I sat at that table for another 3 hours and most were very weary when in hands with me after the flop.
I take no credit for this. It was not so much a skill of mine as it was a VERY large leak in his game. So for those of you that dont do it already, remember what ppl raise with preflop when you get the chance to see them showdown. I dont have a ton of talent but attentiveness has served me well. Information is my lifeblood.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just think how much your attentiveness should have saved you here. If you think he has AK preflop based on his raise, throw away your totally dominated hand and save yourself 4875.

Dsteele02

Dsteele02

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just think how much your attentiveness should have saved you here. If you think he has AK preflop based on his raise, throw away your totally dominated hand and save yourself 4875.

I think you are mistaken. I had the best hand until the river. I had top pair with a fairly huge draw(I consider 12 outs or more huge), just one of those hands I suppose. I dont see that I could of gotten away from it any earlier. Even with his straight and flush draw I was still the favorite after the turn showed. As I said it was no doubt a costly hand, but the odds were in my favor all the way to the river. Although I am always open to advice so if anyone can see how I could have gotten away from the hand before the river feel free to mention it.

chikiloka

chikiloka

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold in the river... dominated for several hands, im would a big raise in the flop...

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are mistaken. I had the best hand until the river. I had top pair with a fairly huge draw(I consider 12 outs or more huge), just one of those hands I suppose. I dont see that I could of gotten away from it any earlier. Even with his straight and flush draw I was still the favorite after the turn showed. As I said it was no doubt a costly hand, but the odds were in my favor all the way to the river. Although I am always open to advice so if anyone can see how I could have gotten away from the hand before the river feel free to mention it.

If your read is AK, fold KQ preflop. You're less than 30% to win preflop. You did however have the best hand AFTER the flop, but there is no rule that says you have to see the flop when you're clearly dominated.

Dsteele02

Dsteele02

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your read is AK, fold KQ preflop. You're less than 30% to win preflop. You did however have the best hand AFTER the flop, but there is no rule that says you have to see the flop when you're clearly dominated.

Ahh I got what your sayin now. Yea I probably shoulda gotten away preflop, was a bit of a loose call by me. Thanks for the response!

pokertime911

pokertime911

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He has 3 possibilitys he either has a busted flush draw a set or two. he definetly doesent have AQ because thats not a hand to risk all in with. I would call in your situation.

white_lytning

white_lytning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you give us a little more info. What kinda game was it? How many people left (if a tourny)? How much was the all-in that covered you, how many chips did you have before the hand started, or when he made the all in bet.

X

xCashin_inx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have nothing beat here, I doubt hes going all in on a bluff. Fold

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I put my opponent on A K preflop."

Then why did you call with a hand that you thought was completely dominated preflop? I actually see this a lot from some posters. They'll have put their opponent on the exact hand that now beats them preflop (and often they have no business in the hand if they actually thought their opponent had that hand preflop). I'd really like to be taught this awesome power of knowing my opponents hole cards precisely when all he's done is made 1 bet preflop. I promise to use it to fold when I devine that I'm dominated and only use this power for good (the good of my BR).

So please tell me why you called preflop if you put your opponent on AK (making you a 3 to 1 dog)?

Folding in Poker