BountyHunt Strategies???

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fascinated with BountyHunter tournaments. The whole idea of coming out ahead even if with a bad beat late in the tournament sounds great. I was wondering if anybody had any successfully strategies for them though. I love them but seem to get crushed every time. I looked through the majority of the site and didn't see any articles on it.

My personal strategy is to try to play Tight but aggressive early on and try to get a decent stack so I'm not the target later. The only problem with that is it doesn't seem to work. I would love any help that anyone might have.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most bounty hunter tourney's have bounties on specific players prior to the start, so you wouldn't have to worry about having a target on you (besides the obvious target of being in someone else's way of winning).

Bounty tournys need to be played just like regular tourneys. Yeah, there is some extra money out there if you knock out the right person, but don't look for that to be your income. Cash in the tourney, win it, whatever.

But the biggest mistake that people make in bounty tournament is start playing really stupid when there is a bounty at your table. If you get the chance to see it, you'll see what i mean. The person with the bounty has a target on them and people will call most anything for a random shot to knock that person out. That's also why, unless the bounty player is total donk, you will often see them with a lot of chips making it tougher to knock them out.

In a nutshell, play your normal tourney strategy. if given the opportunity to play your strategy against a bounty target, then by all means knock his ass out and collect the extra cash on the way.

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most bounty hunter tourney's have bounties on specific players prior to the start, so you wouldn't have to worry about having a target on you (besides the obvious target of being in someone else's way of winning).

I was just saying if your stack is lower than the others then everyone will have a chance to knock me out.

I've tried to play my normal game but people target small stacks early on leaving it almost impossible to get a bigger stack late in the tourney. I know if I play real tight eary on I should be a contender but its hard to do. That doller symbol under their name is a real distraction :D

shortstacked

shortstacked

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most bounty hunter tourney's have bounties on specific players prior to the start, so you wouldn't have to worry about having a target on you

on jets set EVERYONE has a bounty on them, but the higher your rank the bigger the bounty in a $5 buy in my bounty is about $3 and on Nuggits its about $14 hes ranked #2

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on jets set EVERYONE has a bounty on them, but the higher your rank the bigger the bounty in a $5 buy in my bounty is about $3 and on Nuggits its about $14 hes ranked #2
Good point you make (and important since Jimbo plays on JetSet.) So, for the record, everyone write this down, I stand corrected. I should have stipulated in my first response that I was specifically writing about the norm, not the exceptions that are bound to exist. Thanks for helping me see the error of my ways. :D

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
either way its best to play normally when theres a bounty involved with the hand? Because that doesnt seem to get me anywhere :(

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
either way its best to play normally when theres a bounty involved with the hand?
Yes, bounties are great and all, but you need to play your normal solid game and think of the bounties as extras (which they are). If you get all gung ho about the bounties and play bad just to try to knock someone out for the bounty, you're going to pay for it in the long run.