J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2nlhe
villain unknown only 50 hands on him
did I play this correctly or would a fold on river been better or should I have done anything differently

UTG: $2.00 (100 bb)
MP: $1.47 (74 bb)
MP+1: $2.08 (104 bb)
CO: $4.12 (206 bb)
BU: $1.05 (53 bb)
SB: $2.03 (102 bb)
BB (Hero): $3.82 (191 bb)
Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with A♠ K♦
5 players fold, SB raises to $0.06, Hero 3-bets to $0.16, SB 4-bets to $0.44, Hero calls $0.28
Flop: ($0.88) 6♦ 9♠ K♠ (2 players)
SB bets $0.32, Hero calls $0.32
Turn: ($1.52) 5♣ (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks
River: ($1.52) 2♠ (2 players)
SB bets $1.27 (all-in), Hero calls $1.27

S

Spewster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2nlhe
villain unknown only 50 hands on him
did I play this correctly or would a fold on river been better or should I have done anything differently

UTG: $2.00 (100 bb)
MP: $1.47 (74 bb)
MP+1: $2.08 (104 bb)
CO: $4.12 (206 bb)
BU: $1.05 (53 bb)
SB: $2.03 (102 bb)
BB (Hero): $3.82 (191 bb)
Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with A♠ K♦
5 players fold, SB raises to $0.06, Hero 3-bets to $0.16, SB 4-bets to $0.44, Hero calls $0.28
Flop: ($0.88) 6♦ 9♠ K♠ (2 players)
SB bets $0.32, Hero calls $0.32
Turn: ($1.52) 5♣ (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks
River: ($1.52) 2♠ (2 players)
SB bets $1.27 (all-in), Hero calls $1.27

So we don't have a lot of information about the SB. Is he tight, is he a fish? a lot of it depends on the player in the SB.

After all, I don't really like the way you played it here. Just try to recall how many times to players in 2NL actually 4bet? As far as I can remeber, they do it only with KK and AA and hope someone shoves, so I think SB is pretty face up here.

The most important read, however is how many times has he played from the small blind?

IF (and this is a big IF) SB is kind of an aggro donk aka "don't you 3bet me you SOB" then I would just shove and not call. You are probably ahead pretty often.

Reads aside, your 3bet size is too low. he raises 6cts, meaning he's risking 5cts to get 3cts. If you 3bet him to 16cts, you give him 25cts for calling 9 cts, which is almost 3:1.

So you should 3bet him at least 18cts, better 20cts. Remember, this is not the same as 3betting from MP or the BTN. Both of you are fighting over the dead money and he is willing to play OOP against you so his hand is pretty strong unless he's an uberdonk.

So then he 4bets you for a good junk and at this point all alarm bells would go off in my head. This guy is not on ATs or JJ here. This guy reps AA,AK, KK or QQ in this spot.

You call his 4bet, which is correct IMO, but trouble starts at the flop.

He bets out 1/3pot on a K high board. What does he say? Is he holding QQ and is afraid of the K here? Or is he holding AA/KK and wants a call?

Why did you call his min cbet? That is in my opinion the biggest mistake you made here. You have TPTK and only two realistic combos can beat you here: Aces or Kings. Since it's 2NL you could factor in 66 or 99 or even AQs, but I don't think they would have 4bet with a size like this. I think AA/KK would have shoved pre so it's very unlikely that you run into those, which doesn't say that this guy did not try to somehow slowplay them.

Anyways: Raise. His. Fking. Minbet. Make it potsize or at least double it up to 60cts. The hand should be over at this exact spot. You have TPTK in a 3bet pot with 0 live outs so a call here is incredibly weak unless you wanted to slowplay it, which is even worse.

At least bet the turn after he checks. Good Lord! You gave him a free card to complete his draw IF he holds AKs/AQs.

Also, there is no way you'd ever fold this hand anyways, since 2NL and "I have AK".

TL;DR: Preflop was alright besides the sizing mistake, but flop/turn was incredibly messed up. AA/KK can be ruled out in this spot in 2NL and chances for 66/99 4betting are very slim, so it's very unlikely you run into a set of Kings here. Ergo, you hold the effective nuts on this board SO BET IT ffs! The way you played it, the River is a 100% fold. You only have TPTK and lose against sets, str8s and the flush.

Hands like AK and high PP's have frontloaded equity, meaning when they hit the board, they are the best hand but they get weaker with every street. So when you hit, you need to get your money in asap. You gave him so many chances to complete his miracle donk sets of 55 or 22 and his flush draw with AKs it hurts reading the hand history.

And in the unlikely case he tried to 4bet bluff you with 87o and you lost against a backdoor straight...well, that's the reason not to slowplay TPTK.

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So we don't have a lot of information about the SB. Is he tight, is he a fish? a lot of it depends on the player in the SB.

After all, I don't really like the way you played it here. Just try to recall how many times to players in 2NL actually 4bet? As far as I can remeber, they do it only with KK and AA and hope someone shoves, so I think SB is pretty face up here.

The most important read, however is how many times has he played from the small blind?

IF (and this is a big IF) SB is kind of an aggro donk aka "don't you 3bet me you SOB" then I would just shove and not call. You are probably ahead pretty often.

Reads aside, your 3bet size is too low. he raises 6cts, meaning he's risking 5cts to get 3cts. If you 3bet him to 16cts, you give him 25cts for calling 9 cts, which is almost 3:1.

So you should 3bet him at least 18cts, better 20cts. Remember, this is not the same as 3betting from MP or the BTN. Both of you are fighting over the dead money and he is willing to play OOP against you so his hand is pretty strong unless he's an uberdonk.

So then he 4bets you for a good junk and at this point all alarm bells would go off in my head. This guy is not on ATs or JJ here. This guy reps AA,AK, KK or QQ in this spot.

You call his 4bet, which is correct IMO, but trouble starts at the flop.

He bets out 1/3pot on a K high board. What does he say? Is he holding QQ and is afraid of the K here? Or is he holding AA/KK and wants a call?

Why did you call his min cbet? That is in my opinion the biggest mistake you made here. You have TPTK and only two realistic combos can beat you here: Aces or Kings. Since it's 2NL you could factor in 66 or 99 or even AQs, but I don't think they would have 4bet with a size like this. I think AA/KK would have shoved pre so it's very unlikely that you run into those, which doesn't say that this guy did not try to somehow slowplay them.

Anyways: Raise. His. Fking. Minbet. Make it potsize or at least double it up to 60cts. The hand should be over at this exact spot. You have TPTK in a 3bet pot with 0 live outs so a call here is incredibly weak unless you wanted to slowplay it, which is even worse.

At least bet the turn after he checks. Good Lord! You gave him a free card to complete his draw IF he holds AKs/AQs.

Also, there is no way you'd ever fold this hand anyways, since 2NL and "I have AK".

TL;DR: Preflop was alright besides the sizing mistake, but flop/turn was incredibly messed up. AA/KK can be ruled out in this spot in 2NL and chances for 66/99 4betting are very slim, so it's very unlikely you run into a set of Kings here. Ergo, you hold the effective nuts on this board SO BET IT ffs! The way you played it, the River is a 100% fold. You only have TPTK and lose against sets, str8s and the flush.

Hands like AK and high PP's have frontloaded equity, meaning when they hit the board, they are the best hand but they get weaker with every street. So when you hit, you need to get your money in asap. You gave him so many chances to complete his miracle donk sets of 55 or 22 and his flush draw with AKs it hurts reading the hand history.

And in the unlikely case he tried to 4bet bluff you with 87o and you lost against a backdoor straight...well, that's the reason not to slowplay TPTK.

Thank you for the input all very helpful Il adjust my 3 bet sizes from blinds and il start raising min raises, thank you

Anyway villain showed a7o

S

Spewster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well...some say, people don't bluff in 2NL XD

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a standard play, I usually 3bet in nl2 3x the villain bet, some times I will raise for 2,5x, in the last positions, against more players I will bet a little more.

In this positions the villain will rase with a large range, and but will do a 4bet with a more closed range.

I put the villains in any pocket pair above 77, ATo+, AXs, KJs+, maybe some suited conectors. When he cbet in this flop, it is a common sence, but you have a good hand here, It's more make a 3bet in the flop, probaply the villains will fold their suited cards without A high, and a unmade hands, and he will call with good hands, and 4bet with thre of a kind, of K with a good kicker.

The ckeck in the turn is your chance to win the hand without see the river, you can try to do a large bet and some draws will fold.

When the rivers appears the allin of the villain can be a lot of the things, like bluff, or value hands like TT+, flush or three of a kind, maybe straight can be in this range, but it's difficulty to put any villains in this hands after this agressive preflop action.

S

Spewster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a standard play, I usually 3bet in nl2 3x the villain bet, some times I will raise for 2,5x, in the last positions, against more players I will bet a little more.

In this positions the villain will rase with a large range, and but will do a 4bet with a more closed range.

I put the villains in any pocket pair above 77, ATo+, AXs, KJs+, maybe some suited conectors. When he cbet in this flop, it is a common sence, but you have a good hand here, It's more make a 3bet in the flop, probaply the villains will fold their suited cards without A high, and a unmade hands, and he will call with good hands, and 4bet with thre of a kind, of K with a good kicker.

The ckeck in the turn is your chance to win the hand without see the river, you can try to do a large bet and some draws will fold.

When the rivers appears the allin of the villain can be a lot of the things, like bluff, or value hands like TT+, flush or three of a kind, maybe straight can be in this range, but it's difficulty to put any villains in this hands after this agressive preflop action.

As said, the main mistake is dragging this hand out for too long. Your hand is only strong on the flop. As soon as the turn either completes the flush, str8 or pairs the board, you only have TPTK. So you need to put all the money into a spot where your hand is the strongest.

I think OP was lucky that he stacked an aggro donk who tried to make a move that did not make sense. But in general you are NOT supposed to get 3 streets of value with TPTK, but one or maximum two.
It would have made a huge difference tho, if OP had AsKs and the board was Kd6s9s, In this instance he has a combo draw to the nut flush + 7 outs (3K and 4A) which is so huge that it justifies a call. But in this instance, every 6, 9 or spade helps the villain.

End the hand early and realize equity.

J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for the reply’s I’ve started been more agessive vs min bets trying to end hands early with TPTK or at least getting a cheap showdown in position and so far it’s paid off also my knowledge is pretty crap when it comes to equity plus thoses spots explained are my leaks so I’m attempting to amend these situations thank you all massive help