Bizzarre But it Worked

K

kardmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in freeroll today and got knocked out all-in with the best preflop cards once again. OK if you play this is going to happen often. Today i got knocked out by 8-3 unsuited and this is unusual.

I stuck around and watched the player who knocked me out pad his chips like a machine. Going all-in hand after hand. Showing his cards when the table folded and showed crap a good share of the time.

When other people called him I was shocked by the power of 23, 56, J2, and of course he had to play 83 again. People were compelled to play him and to fold to the crazy man. I would be lying if I told you that I took an exact count of the number of hands this happened and win percentage; however, I would conservatively estimate that this happened at least 25 hands in a row and I do know that he lost only 3 hands.

His chip stack escalated from 1500 to 27,500.

Then for no apparent reason he started to play normal, sane poker and within forty minutes he was gone.

Granted he was lucky on many of these bets, it was as if he knew exactly what would be flopped. The interesting element of this strategy is the power of being viewed as insane. This guy made Gus Hansen look tight.

Food for thought?

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy will never wina tourney, he just ruins it for the half decent players. I hate these players and avoid them at all costs.

Just play tight and wait till you move to another table

I am not surprised he went out....its been said but luck only gets you so far

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was playing on the cash tables at Fulltilt the other night and was having a run of the coldest cards I ever saw. Actually got 9-2o 4 times in a row. Everybody was playing tight so I started playing some of this junk as it only cost a dime. Won a lot of pots and it was kind of fun. The cards started to come better and I went back to playing "normal" again - got knocked out within about 10 hands. I guess the adage "rather be lucky than good" has some merit...

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i end up winning 2 or three hands in a row that were called down, then Id change my game considerbaly for a while at least. Played in a 45 player last night at pokerstars, played nice and tight until i got to the final table, got AA, AK, QQ three hands in a row and won them all. Suddenly my respect at the table rocketed, and any pet i placed was folded to for at least 20 mins, so I decided to bet on EVERY hand until i got raised, I did that and won the tourney :five:

MicheleW

MicheleW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi - I think I was playing on a table with you. I didn't see this person, but I pulled the same thing. I was trying out a new method using low cards. I had 7/4 suited and someone called all in - so I tried it. Out came 4/J/X/4/J and I won with a full house. I was stunned. Its hard for me to play this way but I must admit I had a nice stack of chips in about 5 minutes of beginning play. The hard part is keeping those chips. I also got a lot of straights with those lose cards and busted a few people. Its not my game but I wanted to give it a try.

I'd love to know how some of these people do this and stay on top of the leader board with 70,000 chips. Do they play loose and fast or wait for sure wins? or is it LUCK?

S

Smilin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think what you might not realize with this strategy. Sure, when it works, it amazes/baffles/infuriates people. But when it doesn't, the ones using it just fade away quickly. I'd say it's probably like 10:1 odds. For every one time it works, there's 10 times it doesn't.

Maybe I'm wrong though...Heck, just last night I was in a mini tourney. It was down to the last three, we all were in the money. I was dealt AQ, doubled the BB and was given an all in by the BB, so I went all in. She flopped over a 45 offsuit. She got a straight out of it and won that hand. I had more chips, so I was still in. 2 hands later same thing happened. I had JQ suited, doubled the BB and was raised with an all-in by the same player. She turned up a Q6 offsuit. Only 3 cards to beat me right? A 6 on the flop and a 6 on the river. I ended up in 3rd on that hand.

HoldemChamp

HoldemChamp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Colin,

Sadlly, this player will win a tourney. Thankfully it will be a rare occasion when it happens. Sadly, again, there seems to be one of these players in almost every Freeroll that I play.

I have come to the realization that Tournies are short run situations. Yes folks, the long run will beat these idiots. It always will. But, they will win tournies because tournies are short run deals for the most part.

K

kardmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps One of the Key Elements has been Missed

The so called insane play did not cause the player to be eliminated.

The player encountered his problems when he switched style to conventional tight play.