Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
😃Zdraveyte how much can be a winning strategy in cash games where you win a big pot with a strong hand and leave the table? I know that there is that kind of player and will be glad to hear what they think about it.

WDStipa

WDStipa

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
I had that strategy after I boosted my bankroll to 0.80 $ which is minimum to play cash games on pokerstars.

I've played in 0.01 $ / 0.02 $ room and wanted to increase my bankroll. So, I entered with 0.80 $ and when I came to 1.60 $ I left the table and entered the new one with 0.80 $ and kept the same tactic because I didn't feel comfortable to risk 1.60 $ even when I had 5 $ in bankroll .

I think that this strategy is good in that case, when you need to increase your bankroll from minimum to some normal amount after which you feel comfortable enough to play without pressure or fear to losing it all.

If you are a good player and feel comfortable enough on the table I would say it's better for you to stay on the table. That way you can increase your bankroll faster because you have more money in your stack and the negative side of living the table and entering the new one is getting used to new players.

Strategy where you set all hopes on strong hand like AA and go all in and leave the table afterwards is not good. It's too obvious and hardly works.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“Going south” or “taking money of the table” can be reasonable as part of a bankroll management strategy. A prudent rule of thumb is to not risk more than 5% of your bankroll on a cash game hand. So lets say you have 300$, bought into a 10NL game, dubbled up, and someone else has you covered. Then it is prudent to leave and buy into another 10NL game instead, so you protect yourself from losing, what would now be almost 7% of your bankroll in a single hand. This also protect you from making folding mistakes, because you get money scared.

The problem is, that if it is a really good table, then you are giving up on EV by leaving. So ideally you want to play with such a deep bankroll, that this never become a consideration. But in the real world most of us take “shots” at least sometimes, and then its legitimate to leave to avoid deep stacked play, which force us to play outside our bankroll and/or comfort zone.

At Zoom poker table selection is not possible, so then its more a consideration about, if you feel, deep stacked play benefit you or your opponents most. If you are deeply rolled, I personally love to play with a big stack. I feel, it creates fear and give me more fold equity, because people (incorrectly) associate a big stack with a good player. But if you are breaking the 5% rule, there is really no point in continuing on a Zoom table. Just sit out and open another one, and you are right back to playing with a 100BB stack.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
😃Zdraveyte how much can be a winning strategy in cash games where you win a big pot with a strong hand and leave the table? I know that there is that kind of player and will be glad to hear what they think about it.

I'd say it's an OK strategy for online play, but is not applicable to live games.
Online - you are forcing yourself to stop risking money but at the cost of limiting your winnings, so it's a standard risk vs reward thing.
Still, this is exactly why BRM kicks in, where we all say that you need like 100buy-ins to play a certain buy-in level to be comfortable even if you lose some money. That way, it's not a big deal to risk chips, even to risk chips that you just won in a big hand/pot, cause you have plenty left to compensate and eventually profit.
Live - It is pointless to sit at a table, buy in for an amount, win a big hand after 10 minutes and then leave. Basically you haven't played at all and that would take all the fun away from playing the game.

Another thing is that it's not ethical to win big and just leave all of a sudden in live games.

It happened to me that I was running super hot, and in an hour or so I made 5x my starting stack. Then I cashed out, and people were like: " NO, don't leave, you are taking all the chips from the table, what do we play for now, now money at the table, etc." Regardless of my winnings, I announced that I will not be playing for long, and everyone knew I was soon to sit out but it still felt unfair to them.