YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Poker buds,

I've learned a little about table selection and for now I've been only playing at pokerstars. I know there's best hour, best day and also other factors like Players on flop and Avg VPIP. But, seems that the good tables are always full or have someone in line. Is there any other way or anything else I should know about table selection? Maybe using another platform? Anything?

Much obliged.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it will be useful for you to know that there are tournaments like freerolls. And thanks to these tournaments you can improve your skills and even build a bankroll without risking your own money. :D

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most sites try to protect their recreational player base by limiting info before sitting down. Either not sharing table VPIP in client, or censoring names before you post the bb. Pokerstars is one of the remaining few that still shares most info before sitting down.

Entering the waiting list on some of the juicer tables is what I would do when I still played regular 6-max cash. You run the risk that the table dries up once you're able to sit down, but you run that risk on any table you sit down at. You don't actually lose playtime because you can play on other tables while waiting.

J

JonasUMP

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sigh. i remember when we were allowed to choose the table and even the seat on ps.eu. Now there is only the limit to choose from, everything else is chosen for you randomly. at least thats how it is in some places like germany. makes it a lot simpler though. :) I heard table selection is one of the most important things to do to have a successful session. One important thing less to worry about XD

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it will be useful for you to know that there are tournaments like freerolls. And thanks to these tournaments you can improve your skills and even build a bankroll without risking your own money. :D

Definitely man, I've been on these freerolls daily. One of the reasons I've overcame the resistance to write threads is to be able to enroll into CC daily freerolls. And you know what? The threads are actually being useful beyond the opportunity to play freerolls. I really appreciate your reply bud. Wish you the biggest pots.

Best regards.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Foshooo

Definitely man, I've been on these freerolls daily. One of the reasons I've overcame the resistance to write threads is to be able to enroll into CC daily freerolls. And you know what? The threads are actually being useful beyond the opportunity to play freerolls. I really appreciate your reply bud. Wish you the biggest pots.

Best regards.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Need a DeLorean time machine

sigh. i remember when we were allowed to choose the table and even the seat on ps.eu. Now there is only the limit to choose from, everything else is chosen for you randomly. at least thats how it is in some places like germany. makes it a lot simpler though. :) I heard table selection is one of the most important things to do to have a successful session. One important thing less to worry about XD

I heard poker used to have less of many things. Like, 3bets are kind of a "new thing". You have GTO which is a "new thing" also. Poker is evolving for sure. And its getting harder and harder. True? Wouldn't it be nice to go back in time to take advantage of the "easy poker"? I'm actually kinda unsure about it thinking of it. The more challenging something is the gratifying it can be right?
Wish you the nuts on the felt.

Best regards.

Yuri Sabino Lopes.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most sites try to protect their recreational player base by limiting info before sitting down. Either not sharing table VPIP in client, or censoring names before you post the bb. Pokerstars is one of the remaining few that still shares most info before sitting down.

Entering the waiting list on some of the juicer tables is what I would do when I still played regular 6-max cash. You run the risk that the table dries up once you're able to sit down, but you run that risk on any table you sit down at. You don't actually lose playtime because you can play on other tables while waiting.

I haven't adapted well to the other platforms. Kinda got used to PS layout. But hey, I know that for you to enter a waiting list you need to be at another table. So how do you do it? Do you enter any short handed table just so you can get to a waiting list or what?
Wish all the broadways.

Best regards.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't adapted well to the other platforms. Kinda got used to PS layout. But hey, I know that for you to enter a waiting list you need to be at another table. So how do you do it? Do you enter any short handed table just so you can get to a waiting list or what?
Wish all the broadways.

Best regards.
Yuri Sabino Lopes.

Just click the table you want to play at and join the waiting list. It doesn't count towards your maximum table count, and if your seat becomes available while you're at your maximum table count you can just leave your worst seat and sit down the new table.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just click the table you want to play at and join the waiting list. It doesn't count towards your maximum table count, and if your seat becomes available while you're at your maximum table count you can just leave your worst seat and sit down the new table.

But like, if I'm not at any table I can't join a waiting list. Understand? Example: I just logged into PS and want to enter a 6 MAX 02 NLHE waiting list with the most plrs/flop I can't. I have to already be at another 6 MAX 02 NLHE table.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

See?

Waiting list

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ah okay sorry they changed that then. Shouldn't be a problem though right?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Table selection in cash games is definitely not easy these days, since all the major poker sites have taken steps to prevent or limit it. But in general the best option is a simple “trial and error”. Play a few orbits, and if its not a good table, then sit out on next big blind and try another one. If possible try to get onto starting tables or even start your own.

As you already discovered, going on waiting lists is often not a good solution, because when a seat finally becomes available, its often because, the whale has left. Or its the seat directly to the right of the whale, which some reg has left, because he dont want to play most hands out of position. And since you dont want that either, its not a great situation to always end up in that exact seat.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Table selection in cash games is definitely not easy these days, since all the major poker sites have taken steps to prevent or limit it. But in general the best option is a simple “trial and error”. Play a few orbits, and if its not a good table, then sit out on next big blind and try another one. If possible try to get onto starting tables or even start your own.

As you already discovered, going on waiting lists is often not a good solution, because when a seat finally becomes available, its often because, the whale has left. Or its the seat directly to the right of the whale, which some reg has left, because he dont want to play most hands out of position. And since you dont want that either, its not a great situation to always end up in that exact seat.

Man, my game evolved a lot since I started posting here.

I'm also doing all the free courses out there and practicing a lot on the freerolls and play money. Doing Pokestars School right now. Funny cause at first I was confused with some of the information. Next step will be CC lessons. And there's lots of learning from CC users like you bud. Table selection is huge part of profitable poker and you enlightened me.

Thank you so much.

C

CerealKiller78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Table selection is mandatory if you want a good winrate.