Best strategies for losing streaks??

J

Joe03681

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, let me start by saying every time I withdrawl money I go on the nastiest losing streak possible. Dead cards, good hands constantly beaten, etc, etc. The last time I withdrew I went on a month and a half losing streak that would not end. I was winning big on sit n gos, withdrew and then couldnt place in another one to save my life.

That was when I switched back over to ring games and wala!! I easily made back all the money I lost and then some in about a month. At this point I withdrew most of my profits. Now three weeks later I am losing almost on a daily basis.

Now I'm well ahead for the year so I am far from a losing player, but these losing streaks I'm hitting seem a bit excessive from what I've seen. So what is recommended, switch games?? switch sites?? Take a Break?? Please help a brotha out.

Nitram_80

Nitram_80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel your pain man, and I am also going through the exact same thing going totally broke today . I had made like $2500 so I cashed out and left about $500 that quickly turned into almost 1500. I was like man I am doing great and I was playing limit hold'em at the 5/10 limits . Next thing you know my BR started getting smaller and the absolute opposite happened to when I was winning. I was at less then 100 when I decided to take it back to NLH and went broke today. I had been complaining in here for the past few weeks about my bad luck so I was asking the same thing you are asking now. Its almost like I have a bad curse and you might be feeling the same. I understand having bad days in poker but weeks its ridiculous. I said I would take some time of to regroup but the truth is that right now I dont have much of a life and I love the game. If you can take some time of from it then I think thats a good idea . I also dont know what type of game you have been playing (NL?) but I also think maybe trying another game or limit . I play at partypoker and the way its going I have thought about going somewhere else but I am afraid that wont solve the problem and I also hate adding stuff to my pc. The good thing is that we have won money and so that makes us keep playing . I just wish it was more consistent and not streaks all the time. I would also think about investing in a good poker book and try to get better .I hope our luck turns around.

JeeDub84

JeeDub84

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that the same thing happens sometimes after I withdraw funds. I usually like to stop playing at that site until my withdraw clears and play other sites for the mean time. I dont think the sites are rigged like that, but it is like a little superstition I have followed and it seems to work for me. I would like to ask though how long on a period of time have you been playing everyday. It may be time to take a break for a couple of weeks to regroup and focus or take your mind off the game to refresh the mind.

Nitram_80

Nitram_80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JeeDub84 said:
I find that the same thing happens sometimes after I withdraw funds. I usually like to stop playing at that site until my withdraw clears and play other sites for the mean time. I dont think the sites are rigged like that, but it is like a little superstition I have followed and it seems to work for me. I would like to ask though how long on a period of time have you been playing everyday. It may be time to take a break for a couple of weeks to regroup and focus or take your mind off the game to refresh the mind.

Hey you nailed it right there. Every time I withdraw I go on a loosing streak and I am not superstitious but I am starting to wonder. I may also think about playing somewhere else if that helps. I play about 4 hours a day, some in the morning , afternoon and around midnight. thanks

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Doyle says, it doesn't cost you anything to follow a silly superstition (as long as it's not directly gameplay related, like "I always push with 72o" or something!). :)

Anyway, re: the original post, as with a lot of decisions in poker, it depends. If you're still confident you're playing your 'A' game, then you have little to lose by playing through a bad run. After every session, review the hands you've played and look for any leaks. Yes, you may be having a bad run, but you may also be contributing to it through poor play in certain situations.

If you are playing poorly as a result of a bad run, take a break. If you can't let poker go completely in the interim, pick up a book or go and donk around at play money tables for a few days or something. I recommend just breaking off completely for a while though. Once you feel refreshed, go for it again.

poettic1

poettic1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i read internet poker for dummies the other day and this exact thing came up in the book. your game changes subconciously, bc in your mind its free money that you didn't have to do anything for. it's the lotto thing, most poeple who win the lotto spend all their winnings in 1 year. my sugestion is to purposely put yourself on tilt (low limmit obviously) couple of mike later you should realize that it is infact your hard earned money and you'll treat is as such

Nitram_80

Nitram_80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poettic1 said:
i read internet poker for dummies the other day and this exact thing came up in the book. your game changes subconciously, bc in your mind its free money that you didn't have to do anything for. it's the lotto thing, most poeple who win the lotto spend all their winnings in 1 year. my sugestion is to purposely put yourself on tilt (low limmit obviously) couple of mike later you should realize that it is infact your hard earned money and you'll treat is as such

Sorry but I disagree wth that . If I have some nice money won then I will play like its my money and not play stupid . But maybe some of that is right . In that case , I will stop playing when I am way ahead:D

poettic1

poettic1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol i agree with you i never 'THINK" my games changed but thats what the book said and the statistics of lotto says happens. ifound that when i'm loosing and i make the decision to play bad i can find the dcision to play well alot easier