seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to improve my 6 max cash game.
Is dan harrington good?
Should i order or should i read somerhing else?

C

ccres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to improve my 6 max cash game.
Is dan harrington good?
Should i order or should i read somerhing else?

Hi. Grinder's Manual is pretty well thought of for 6-max cash, in particular if you're mostly playing on-line.

B

babboonnexx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Negreanu has a master class now that looks really interesting. His youtube channel is pretty good as well. Thats what I have been using lately.

T

tiltmonster12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I 2nd grinders manual by carroter. Its only on amazon as an ebook though.

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just ordered Harrington's book. I will let you know.

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I am a third of the way through Harrington's book. I like it. I am finding it very helpful.

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think about taking advantage of position and also using small pairs in multiway spots, as well as playing connected cards.

what do you think?;)

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think it's better to watch new videos than to read old books.

ggf99

ggf99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ryan Fee 6 max nl strategy guide is great. I think this is not suitable for beginners

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's good but if you want to merge your knowledge the golden book of poker:eek:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ryan Fee 6 max nl strategy guide is great. I think this is not suitable for beginners

Yup. Good book.

I'm interested in the Carrot book. Has anyone here read it & could they give a review on it please.

uriell

uriell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books published later are less relevant. Poker does not stand still, it develops. You need to play and analyze your hand more often.

S

Spewster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Naaaa.....Harrington is ok as a "general" guideline, but dude, you're playing so long and seem to crush midstakes so don't even bother, it's just too outdated.

If you REALLY want to get a book, get the Grinders Manual. On the other hand, it's just a bunch of hand histories with explanations. Wasn't really that usefull for me.

What really boosted me was advancedpokertraining.com. You play vs. AI here plus there are several "challenges" from Mike Caro, Steve Blay, James Sweeney, Ed Miller et al where you play the same hands as they do and can watch their take on each situation afterwards. Really usefull. They have a 30d trial, check it out.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Naaaa.....Harrington is ok as a "general" guideline, but dude, you're playing so long and seem to crush midstakes so don't even bother, it's just too outdated.

If you REALLY want to get a book, get the Grinders Manual. On the other hand, it's just a bunch of hand histories with explanations. Wasn't really that usefull for me.

What really boosted me was advancedpokertraining.com. You play vs. AI here plus there are several "challenges" from Mike Caro, Steve Blay, James Sweeney, Ed Miller et al where you play the same hands as they do and can watch their take on each situation afterwards. Really usefull. They have a 30d trial, check it out.
how do you know i have been playing for long?
and what do you think about blackrains book?

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think about taking advantage of position and also using small pairs in multiway spots, as well as playing connected cards.

what do you think?;)

Do just that! Set-mine! Get in the pot as cheaply as possible and suck out that money when you hit, and get out of the pot quickly when you miss! Connected cards are a bit more tricky. You have to have reads on your opponents + position is crucial. Especially with speculative holdings.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do just that! Set-mine! Get in the pot as cheaply as possible and suck out that money when you hit, and get out of the pot quickly when you miss! Connected cards are a bit more tricky. You have to have reads on your opponents + position is crucial. Especially with speculative holdings.
what range do you mean by speculative holding?

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anything that isn't marginal. It's up to you to decide what is marginal to you.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes and very good but there are several videos on yutuber that will help you too

S

Spewster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you know i have been playing for long?
and what do you think about blackrains book?

"The thing that has been bugging me a little lately thag should i move up the stakes!
I deposited like 300$ 5 months ago on my site and after grinding a lot (a lot really!)
At 1/2$ plaging Nl holdem and omaha hi/lo and playing some 50 and 100$ tourney my bankroll is at 22000$.
Now i have 110(100bigs) buy in for 1/2 and i was thinking about moving to 2/4 for which i have 55 buy ins.
But i am really tentative about it.
Should i move up or should i keep playing 1/2 and focus more on high buy in tourneys?"
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Post from you in Moving Up Up and Above :)
[/FONT]
Just want to mention I bought about 200$ worth of poker books when I started again this year after 10year break.
[/FONT]
After I watched this:
I threw them all out of the window. Poker is moving so fast and it's so dynamic that you can forget about learning a specific range per position or standart tactics. The game is all about relative knowledge, so chances are that everyone you are playing against in 100NL has already read Harrington and the Grinders Manual and is fiddling with PIO solver or Pokersnowie. No edge to be had here.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Blackrain is Micro only, meaning he's playing exploitative for the most part. It won't help you much if you play 50NL+. Also - as I said - it did not help me much to read a book, memorize the general tips and tricks and try to apply them in game. You need to play around 1k hands just so you get 100 samples of your specific trouble spot and it takes ages to get better.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I decided for advancedpokertraining.com because it's easy to practise tough spots over and over again. 3betting AQo in the SB? If you like you can play this hand in this specific spot 500 times in a row untill you got it down. Also the AI is playing close to GTO at the highest level so you can play against extremely tough opponents while getting your leaks tracked.
[/FONT]
So when I have a specific spot I'm losing money in, like AKo OOP in a 3bet pot, connectors in MP or low PP from the BB, I just tailor the AI to this and practise it untill I understand the dynamics of the situation. The number of repetition is crazy high compared to other methods of training, so you get better extremely fast.
[/FONT]
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]I really recommend it.
[/FONT]