Being a nit

K

killercon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people might call me a nit when it comes to higher blind cash games. ive found that being a nit at 2/5 and 5/10 cash games are way more profitable than gto or other game theory. just playing tight is right when your betting or calling 4 to 5x big blind. it starts to add up to see flops at $25 to 50. n then chasing hands when your on a draw n miss. id rather have top top and be the 1betting.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like shifting gears and finding players to exploit. A tight base range is a good idea though.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
opponents can exploit your game.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a lot of soft live cash games, I would definitely agree with this. If everyone is playing loose and crazy, it's a good strategy to play tight and just go after a lot of value with your stronger hands.

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was a bit begining poker but then started playing more hands, raising sometimes with 52o and just changing my strategy.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
people might call me a nit when it comes to higher blind cash games. ive found that being a nit at 2/5 and 5/10 cash games are way more profitable than gto or other game theory. just playing tight is right when your betting or calling 4 to 5x big blind. it starts to add up to see flops at $25 to 50. n then chasing hands when your on a draw n miss. id rather have top top and be the 1betting.

Absolutely nothing wrong with playing a tighter style. Once you get a feel for the table, you can mix in a bluff to see how they respect you at the table too.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank U 4 Posting.

NL is best played NIT style when villains are loose passive calling stations. If you are getting max value from most of your good hands then do not change your play.

The question is, are you getting max value or are you just getting value?

Are you getting stacks?
Are you being called for 3 streets when V has second pair?
Can you even get 3 streets of value at a decent % rate for your made hands?
Can you get pot + bets called?
Are you getting max value from flushes when V has 2 pair?
Are you mostly getting max value from coolers?

Just some thoughts

Hope this helps
:):)

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's probably not correct to say that it's more profitable to play a certain card range at any stake. I think it's more correct to say that it's EASIER to make a profit playing a very narrow and very strong range in live 1/2 - 5/10 games. The higher you go in stakes though, the more likely you are to run into very solid opponents who will pick up on your tendencies and attempt to exploit them. I don't mind playing at a table full of nits as I will win a lot of tiny pots and fold vs aggression a lot. Some may think it's slow and boring but I think it's safer and easier money. At a game full of LAGs you'll have much bigger pots and tougher decisions. Done well, nit and LAG ranges can both be profitable. The question is usually which style works best against your current line up and which style works best for you personally. In general you want to be doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing. So if the table is too tight you can adjust by loosening up and stealing a large number of small pots. If the table is too loose you can tighten up and win a small number of large pots.

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely nothing wrong with playing a tighter style. Once you get a feel for the table, you can mix in a bluff to see how they respect you at the table too.

I'm going to merge a few ideas with this post.

I agree. There's noting wrong with playing a tighter style. However when you're playing 15-20% of hands and the rest of the table is playing 30-50% of hands, it's noticeable. And I've lost out on value when players say "you've been quiet for a while" and fold top pair to my set. This is where one of the most controversial topics of whether to show or muck comes into play. When your image is too tight, showing a bluff becomes useful. 3-bet 76s, c-bet a flush draw, and show it...then watch someone pull his hair out because he folded a 8-high hand. That's fun but it also brings your image back
from the nit
to a balanced one .

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going to merge a few ideas with this post.

I agree. There's noting wrong with playing a tighter style. However when you're playing 15-20% of hands and the rest of the table is playing 30-50% of hands, it's noticeable. And I've lost out on value when players say "you've been quiet for a while" and fold top pair to my set. This is where one of the most controversial topics of whether to show or muck comes into play. When your image is too tight, showing a bluff becomes useful. 3-bet 76s, c-bet a flush draw, and show it...then watch someone pull his hair out because he folded a 8-high hand. That's fun but it also brings your image back
from the nit
to a balanced one .

Thank you for the recognition there! I did say once we get a feel for the table, to pick our spots to make a speculative play when the time calls for it. ABC is good to get started at the table and just to get reads on others.

Well said though and thank you for elaborating!

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I think you are right! For the low stakes, it is profitable to play tight.

You just confirmed one of my theories!

gl gl gl

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing tighter against large open raises as those often found in low stakes live games. In fact this is exactly, what game theory say, we should do. So the only reason to not play tight would be boredom or concerns about your table image. If your play correct ranges in a loose live game, it might get more difficult to get action, when you have a big hand.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is nothing wrong with playing a tight game, I've had my best games playing nit tight.:D

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I agree.

Playing preflop LAG ranges has been a leak for me because my postflop game is more suitable for a TAG style. So I basically burn money by playing borderline playable hands preflop.

This includes calling with stuff like K8o from the BB which is probably the hand that costs me the most.