beating razz

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have been playing low stakes razz for the last few months on all different sites and i have adopted a strategy to being a consisted winner in a razz cash game . rule 1 always raise your oponent when he is in the bring in. this only applies if it if heads up or your the last one to make a move and no one has called or raised before. if your oponent makes the call watch the board and assess the situation from there[eg if he brings in with a queen and u raise showing a 6 and his next card is a jack raise with a 10 and lower but if he hits a lower card and u hit a pair or a jack and higher check fourth street].rule 2 if it is a full table 6to8 players be very tight only raise with 3 strong low cards [ie 6or lower] do not get to aggressive odds are someone has a good hand and he will clean u out if u get cute with a mediocre hand[7-8-9 are not good cards] if it is heads up u can afford to be more aggressive and raise more often when ur sjowing a better hand . rule 3 always buy in for 40 times the upper limt. 40 times the upper limit gives you great leverage. rule 4 most of the time if ur showing a better hand than ur opponent he will fold if his whole cards are mediocre rule 5 only play at tables where you know your opponents tendecies. this makes it so much easier to win against them. rule 6 varing your pla agianst your opponts will allow you to take down more pos earlier on and to get more calls on 7th street. i hope these rules help you as they have helped me

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stakes were 2-4 to be precise sometimes 3-6

mczilla

mczilla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good info, Ilike RAZZ and this will surely help me game...I like HORSE too, good to be strong in all games there to be a winner

//zilla

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rule 2 if it is a full table 6to8 players be very tight only raise with 3 strong low cards [ie 6or lower] do not get to aggressive odds are someone has a good hand and he will clean u out if u get cute with a mediocre hand[7-8-9 are not good cards]

While I'll agree with the 8-9, missing opportunities with the 7 could be costing you money. I consider 6 or lower to be extremely tight. And you want to be aggressive in this game just as you do in HE. What happens when you are waiting all day for 652 and then get KK?

jokish123

jokish123

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never really liked Razz because i could never win... haha. ill try out your method and see how it works.......
thanks good luck

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
smd i understand where u are coming from but its the way i play it may not suit u but i thank you for the feedback and i happen to always be the tightest player at the table when i play so you can call it tight play

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
smd i understand where u are coming from but its the way i play it may not suit u but i thank you for the feedback and i happen to always be the tightest player at the table when i play so you can call it tight play

That's cool, the tips you gave were good and solid. I just play one notch more aggressive than you. And I though I was pretty tight. :D

USFDoh

USFDoh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the things I will do as well is watch a table for a while before joining in the action. Most of the time you can pick up free reads on the competition. Just sit at the table and "sit out next hand". That way if the table is full of those who complete with 10+ you don't lose your seat and have to join the waiting list.

To the OP, nice post, should help some of the folks who want to give RAZZ a try.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While I'll agree with the 8-9, missing opportunities with the 7 could be costing you money. I consider 6 or lower to be extremely tight. And you want to be aggressive in this game just as you do in HE. What happens when you are waiting all day for 652 and then get KK?

Playing only 6-low starting hands has been a bit too tight in my experience too: played a decent sized live tournament using this strategy a few months back, and found I wasn't able to accumulate enough chips to be competitive

I did have a monumentally bad run of cards to accompany this, but I don't think the 6-low starting strategy did me any favours either.

I'm keeping in mind this was tournament play though, with ever-increasing antes and bring-ins - it's entirely possible that the tighter strategy is more profitable in a cash game situation, where folding everything except 6-low hands will be cheaper in the long run.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You forgot Rule 7. Buy stock in Grecian-Formula, as RAZZ will cause early gray hair.

M

MartyJr2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good strategy for beginners to Razz. I see too many new to the game that keep calling when they are beat with what's showing on the board. I took 3rd in the last Razz tourney I was in AND it the was first one I was in.

Best of luck!

MartyJr2