Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good day.

The other day I was reading in a forum in Spanish that there were people who could lose 10 boxes (bankroll) or more, playing NL2. There were even other members who said they had lost more than 20.
Now I start to think, if this is so and to play NL2 I need around 40 dollars, losing 400 or 800 dollars would be "logical and reasonable"?, as they replied in that post to the member in question. Do I need 800 dollars to play NL2?

From now, thank you for your attention.

Greetings.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
No, you don't need 800 dollars to play 2NL.....

It's true that at these stakes, the bad days can cost you some buy-ins, but playing with 30-40 buy-ins bankroll, I think you can begin your journey at the micros.

lnm2308

lnm2308

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good day.

The other day I was reading in a forum in Spanish that there were people who could lose 10 boxes (bankroll) or more, playing NL2. There were even other members who said they had lost more than 20.
Now I start to think, if this is so and to play NL2 I need around 40 dollars, losing 400 or 800 dollars would be "logical and reasonable"?, as they replied in that post to the member in question. Do I need 800 dollars to play NL2?

Greetings.

Hello friend, in my opinion it is not necessary so much money to play nl2, since much of the material with which I have become familiar explains that having 100 buy-in level is enough to start playing it without experiencing great shocks. That's why I think that with a bank of $ 200 it would be more than enough to be able to play it comfortably, although with $ 100 (50buy in) you can start comfortable too. As well as before a session as you mentioned before where 20 boxes are being lost, I think it is best to cut it and return the next day, the tables will always be there for us, without the need to risk our bank in a bad session! (sorry for a thousand bad English) good luck at the tables!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, it is good to learn responsible money management right from the beginning of your poker career. But that being said it is kind of silly to talk about a bankroll for 2NL online cash games. If you lose 10 BIs, its still only 20$, and redepositing that kind of money should be possible for anyone, who have time to play poker. Otherwise its probably a better idea to spend your time doing something about your financial situation like writing job applications.

Moreover its not even possible to have a bankroll, that will protect you from having to redeposit, unless you are a winning player. And often people asking about bankroll for 2NL dont yet know, if they are winning players. So how much money to deposit in your poker account is really not the most important thing for a 2NL player to worry about.

But if you do want to practice bankroll management right from the beginning, and think you might be a winning player, then it is reasonable to start with something like a 100$ deposit. This will allow you to lose some bullets without having to dig out the credit card again and again. And it will also allow you to move to 5NL relatively quickly. The lowest limits are really only for practicing, not for making money, so you should not stick around there for longer, than you have to.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They recommend that to play NL2 you have to have a bankroll of 60$ I personally think that with 40$ is fine. but I repeat the recommendation in this case is to have a bankrolls of 60$

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. Thank you very much for your comments and advice.
Best regards from Buenos Aires.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The downswing in NL2 / NL5 are uncommon because most of the players are recreational, if you are a tight player with basic postflop knowledge you can calmly overcome these levels, therefore you do not have to worry about downswing at these levels, It is also more likely that you could lose money by entering “tilt”.

With respect to the Bankroll issue, at these levels there is no rule written in rock, the ideal is to play with the money you can afford and try to play to increase your bankroll, these are the best tips to start.

Rodolfo888

Rodolfo888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

my first deposit was 10 $ stay for a week as I was going to multiply that 10 $, I play well MTT the more I have to start at the micros the longer it takes, the more I analyzed the game well cash game and it is a profitable game faster than my bankroll grows, so in a week playing a cash game of 0.10 / 0.20 I multiplied my 10 $ to 120 $ a profit of 110 $ per week. Choose a type of game that you are most sedentified to increase your bankroll.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The downswing in NL2 / NL5 are uncommon because most of the players are recreational, if you are a tight player with basic postflop knowledge you can calmly overcome these levels, therefore you do not have to worry about downswing at these levels, It is also more likely that you could lose money by entering “tilt”.

That is not really true. Variance exist in poker, regardless how good or bad your opponents are. The only difference is, that if you have a high winrate, then that underlying trend will tend to pull you out of a downswing faster than, if you only have a low winrate. But even in very soft cash games 20BI downswings will happen to anyone, who play long enough. So if you play 5NL, you should either have at the bare minimum 100$ in your poker account, or be ready to top it up if needed. And more importantly you should not tilt or start questioning yourself, just because you lose 10 or 20BI´s.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is not really true. Variance exist in poker, regardless how good or bad your opponents are.

Greetings.

By reading carefully you will discover that at no moment I affirm that "the variance does not exist in NL2 / NL5", my intention is to explain that in these levels (If you play tight and have basic postflop knowledge) the downswing are uncommon because most players are recreational, for this reason it is not necessary to worry about losing 20 B.I. in these levels.

In theory, when we talk about "Win rate", for a player with a good win rate the downswing will be less frequent, for this reason, it is more likely that at these levels a tight player loses money by the "tilt", there are many "good" players who, when they go through a bad beat, throw their game in the trash.

PokerDentist

PokerDentist

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For 2NL I would say $20-$40. Get a good feel for the online game. As you move up to higher stakes, that's when I would recommend having a higher bankroll as far as buy-ins go. The opponents at those tables will be better, thus there will be more variance and swings than at 2NL

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good day.

Greetings.

Having 5 buyin swings will be common, 10 occasionally, 20 very rarely (but possible)

Even still, in your worst case there that is a $40 swing, not a $400 swing.

As long as you are having a bare minimum of 20 buyins ($40) and more comfortably 50 buyins ($100) bankroll you shuold be completely fine.

Also if you game select well, or play a tighter style, you don't need to be as cautious with your bankroll because your expected win rate will be higher and your swings lower.

For more on this you can play around with the fun calculator at http://pokerdope.com and put it all kinds of numbers to see what possible outcomes are. It's great! :tomato:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having 5 buyin swings will be common, 10 occasionally, 20 very rarely (but possible)

As long as you are having a bare minimum of 20 buyins ($40) and more comfortably 50 buyins ($100) bankroll you shuold be completely fine.

Also if you game select well, or play a tighter style, you don't need to be as cautious with your bankroll because your expected win rate will be higher and your swings lower.

For more on this you can play around with the fun calculator at http://pokerdope.com and put it all kinds of numbers to see what possible outcomes are. It's great! :tomato:

Its good to learn responsible money management from the beginning of your poker career. And its also good to learn, what magnitude of variance, you can expect. This will prevent you from going on tilt or questioning yourself, when the enevitable downswing hit. But there is also a trap in being overly conservative in the micros. Some people want to have at least 100BI, and as long as you are not playing professionally, that is kind of overkill. Bankroll management can easily become an excuse for not moving up and challenging yourself against slightly better opponents. If you have 400$, and you are still playing 2NL, that is kind of crazy in my opinion.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks a lot for your comments and advices.

Best regards from Buenos Aires.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 30 buyins should be fine for most people, $60.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Good advice here also :)

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also keep in mind that the lower your winrate the higher the chance that variance will burn through your bankroll. So while 30 is the general recommendation, if you want to really minimize the chance of busting I would opt for 50 buy ins.

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if a person loses 20 buy-ins at such a limit, then he should think, "But am I making mistakes in the game?" and spend more time learning

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a bankroll of $ 25 is enough to start playing nl2

Bleeis

Bleeis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend you cash to start building your bank, with 100 usd you have 50 buy ins, which is more than enough for nl2 if you have a solid and conservative game

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to understand which bankroll you need. It is necessary to answer the question of how you plan the game.
Often you will encounter difficult situations postflop. When you need to make a decision and you don’t understand where you are, either behind or in front. You will either have to go to all-in or fold. In order not to regret then you need to have 5 buyins to go to all-in in such situations.
Secondly, you may encounter a very aggressive strategy when you are 3 bet almost regularly preflop and raise to all-in. And you will have strong hands, but not the fact that you win the hand.
Practice shows that sometimes you can easily lose 10-12 buyins in a row, after which it is very difficult not to fall into tilt.
Bankroll is needed before for a comfortable game and should help to survive such strikes painlessly.
As my experience has shown, it is more convenient for me when I have 80 buyins. Then all losses are returned without any problems. And obviously not enough 20 buyins can be easily reset.

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even if its kind of silly to talk about a bankroll for 2NL i think 50BI is enough if you have to skill that if takes to beat 2NL's pool, and whoever lost 800$ in 2NL is a huge whale imo