Anyone here find they play better when they DON'T multitable?

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I much prefer to play 2 to 3 tables. Usually a couple SNG's and a ring game. It keeps the boredom away and I'm not tempted to over think hands and make ill advised plays. If I don't do this I end up turning on the TV and thats much worse.

One thing I did learn was to stagger the SNG's. One time I was in 3 SNG's at once, and ended up heads up in 2 of them and down to 3 people in the third one. It was very very difficult to keep up.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i dont want to get too bored i get a game of solitaire going or some online computer game

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I find I do much better with just one table open. To combat boredom and to try not to become a calling station I either post here,read news online or read blogs. I know I should pay more attention to the table for betting patterns but usally at the low limits I play you can tell from the first 5 hands lol.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One table at a time 4 me.....unless I'm playing in a tourney and its getting really frustrating due to boredom. I then start a low stakes cash game aswell. Have to be carefull though cos I tend to focus on one only

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I SUCK when i multi-table, ill usually have a MTT SnG up if i'm in a tourney but nothing more

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One table for me to stay focused. I'll do two once in a while, but usually only freerolls. Playing two or more just allows too much info to pass unnoticed. Even when I fold a hand, what others do is important to my game in other hands.

One thing I try never to do is multi-table different games. THAT gets really confusing - for me at least.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to multi table when I play. If I don't my mind wanders and I will actually play worse sometimes.

However and this is important. I have to stagger my tables when I'm doing SnGs. 3 tables aren't bad if you start them all at the same time but if you start getting into the bubble or the money on all 3 it becomes far too hectic. Often times I'll start a table, when the blinds increase I'll start a second, and sometimes a third after another blind increase.

str3tch nuts

str3tch nuts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure this has been said already, but I believe I miss alot of information about the table by playing more than one at a time.

♠jczapper♠

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i fulltilt sng and 1 stars

S

snoozer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no question I miss information when I play more than one table at a time. And definitely take better advantaged of that information. But I get sooooo bored with one table it's very hard to play TAG, especially in cash games. I know I have to overcome this to improve upon my patience. But I do make more when playing two games at once.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe some day when I get as good as (aliengenius) I can play more than one and profit.

Dream on dude!:smile:

No Ones Gonna Touch AG :cool:

Maybe some day when I get as good as (aliengenius) is now I can play more than one and profit, but he will still pwn my sorry *** every time.

there, fixed it a little. maybe now i can agree. of course, in the current time-space continuum, all that is just wishful thinking on my part.

Hey, thanks guys!

I usually only play one table at a time. Especially for tournaments I think it's really helpful to have your focus all in one place, as there is a lot more to pay attention to and be aware of regarding chips stack sizes, bubble considerations, pending blind increases, etc.

Another argument for single tabling tournaments is that you will get shorthanded eventfully (hopefully :)), and your decisions will be more frequent. If you are playing more than one table at a time, you will have to start making your decisions faster at the most critical time of the tournament(s). So if you are going to multi-table tournaments I recommend staggering the starts, so you are not playing all the bubbles, monies, and heads-ups all at once.

For ring games, I have found three tables to be about the right number to keep me making decisions at a nice but reasonable pace. In the static environment of a cash game you don't need to keep track of the tournament factors, so multi-tabling is a lot easier, especially if you are using a HUD which allows you to skip making notes like "plays every hand".

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've tried multi-tabling many times but since I am so ridiculously LAG and make so many plays I find that I get trapped a lot more often as I'm not paying attention to the play before me so it's very hard to pick up reads on someone trapping.

S

slick7545

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember playing in 9 different tourneys on 3 different sites, full tilt poker, pokerstars, and big juicy odds...... at first I was just playing two and was actually doing very well and all i had to do was just take my time and wait for a few more people to die out and I'd be in the money but after I popped up 4 more tourneys I started to not have enough time to think on my hand and see what the raise was.... and that was just stupid of me lol.... yeah... lets just say I ended up losing the tourneys except for one which I only won like 3.10 or something like that....

U

unlucky79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never multi because I lose focus on the players. I dont believe it helps your profit margin unless you get a rush of good cards to play. Even then a fish can get lucky and take down your boys or bullets. To frantic for me as Im better off concentrating and setting traps on 1 table only. Best of luck!!!

D

DEPREM

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
einer reicht

Ich finde um deine gegner besser beobachten zu können, musst du dich auf einen Tisch konzentrieren.

Boeggs

Boeggs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my personal feeling is you should be able to handle 2 at one time. Any more than 2 it becomes difficult to give the needed attention to each table. That said, I still like to play just one table. Each person is different. I know a person that plays eight at a time and does it quite successfully. I think you need to have a little bit of ADHD in order to do this. That crazy guy that played in wsop this year and kept jumping out of his seat and acting like a retard (I forget his name, I believe he made it to the final table) has played as many as 40 tables at one time (I read that in bluff magazine) but its beyond me how someone could do that. The bottom line is you have to do what is comfortable for you to be successful.

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play good at one table.If I get bored I just try to watch for betting patterns of others and try guessing what they have before the showdown.When I pick up some obvious tells I'll take notes.

One other thing I do to keep from being bored is play at 6max tables.A lot of action at those,and I play a lot more hands than at a full ring.

I find I am a lot more profitable playing one $25max table than trying to play two $10max tables.This allows me to pay more attention and play games that are slightly out of what I should play for my bankroll(as long as I'm willing to drop down a level when necessary).

E

ellisman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the moment, I only play one table and I feel my play suffers really badly when I play two or more.

But then I learned live, and just getting used to having to make a decision in 15 seconds online was a shock at first :D

exactly. it just doesnt allow you to get the full amount of info on your opponents betting patterns and everything you need to know to beat them. lol, i rarely play live and cant keep track of how much is in the pot live either.

i have a name

i have a name

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
whenever i register myself into too many tournaments..i find myself losing all of them
when i just play one at a time..i am more focused and i dont get confused

scruffy mojo

scruffy mojo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me three is to hectic, i play at bodog and they always have lags and one table seems to auto fold on me (when i have a great hand) and sometimes it gets stuck on it and i have to reboot bodog. also like what was written in an earlier post, when it gets close to the bubble its hard to manage both tables even if they are staggered, i have also called the wrong table and hit the button twice due to the lag and called all in on the wrong table and was auto folded on the table i wanted to call, i don't recommend playing more than two tables at bodog, all my experiences have not been good and it isn't my computer but bodogs glitches. sometimes i do good on one or the other sometimes both, but i have gone my furtherest in mtt playing one.

pkrplr4116

pkrplr4116

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two tables at a time are how I'm comfortable playing. It stops me from wanting to play marginal hands. I keep the 2 table on my left and another window open on the right for mindless things. Just to lessen the tension.
I have playing 3 and 4 tourneys at the same time and I can't do it well. Two is my limit.

M

MississippiMud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have tried up to 4 just to see if I could do it. Came out ahead on 3 of the 4 after an hour of play. Thing is it was to much like work and it wasn't fun. Last thing I want is for poker to be a job.

I don't multi table. I play one at a time and take as much time as I am aloted before I make my play. There is way to much fun to be had to hurry through a poker game. Even when its online.