Am i supposed to accept this as unavoidable?

W

witfighter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i have K10 and 3k10 flop i should call an all in right? Lost big hand to pocket 3s and dont know how to predict low pairs like that

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless you were insanely deep like 300+ BB and assuming, that no flush or straight was possible, when the money went in, its fine to get stacked, when you flop top two, and your opponent flopped a set.Really all, you need to ask yourself, is this question: Does he also lose his whole stack to you, when you have a set, and he have top two? If the answer is "yes", then this situation is just a cooler, and coolers dont matter, because they are a wash in the long run.

Last edited:
E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest we need to know more about stack size, pre-flop action and pot size to determine if this was a good stack off. Althought it will be uncommon KK and TT will still be in villains range too. If it's a small pot and a huge multiple shove on the flop, his range is pretty much Trips and AA

C

capt red

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
been there, done that. i'm not the only one that "set mines" so i try to look at stack size and previous play. also watch out for people playing suited connectors.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a solid pre-flop bet you would hope 3's fold (stack size matters). For a relatively low cost flop, a set of 3's is very possible with an all-in move. There are some pieces to give insight into what a person could have. From what you provided, it's unclear how the hand developed but in my estimation, most people playing online are snap calling with King 10, top two pairs.

D

dungnc284

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should allin in this case

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe..

In a tournament scenario gamble is everything you can ask yourself ok he has a set of 3's as your k-10 makes those other set's less probable. 10-10 is still ok you have out's the blinds are coming and you call. Maybe top 2 is good you can beat 33 with luck and 10-10 with more luck. KK is dead but your not out of the game and the chips are there and you invested a ton into the pot so you call. Small pot pre flop he shoves all those scenarios just fold,cash game game often call if it's just a small % of your stack.

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had hands where my oponnet calls 2 streets, and then donks the river with a small bet, and I just call and only lose half my stack, so i guess it's avoidable sometimes.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
When I have two pairs, I am very cautious when I proceed. If the guy is continually calling you, what does he have...well a set generally, especially if the bets come quick. This seems to be a big tell. You bet decent and he snap calls the flop and the turn....sloooow down. Unless you river the full house...beware.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To be honest we need to know more about stack size, pre-flop action and pot size to determine if this was a good stack off. Althought it will be uncommon KK and TT will still be in villains range too. If it's a small pot and a huge multiple shove on the flop, his range is pretty much Trips and AA

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, K10 is an alright starting hand in some situations & positions, but certainly a hand that can cost you over time if you aren't careful where & when you play it.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i have K10 and 3k10 flop i should call an all in right? Lost big hand to pocket 3s and dont know how to predict low pairs like that

Why would you call?
How much was in the pot before the shove?
I would be afraid to lose to AK, 33, TT, or even KK

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Previous bets and stack size would be nice to know, but based off the bet size it seems like he has pocket kk, 10’s or 3’s. I’ve been burned In that situation too many times fold.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know how you get away from that hand, unless you know your opponent to be extremely opportunistic.

M

megiverz1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those three of a kind are impossible to detect. I don't blame you to call. We play possibilities, it's always possible somebody hit a three of a kind with a pocket in hand. No way to know for sure. Accept it.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short answer is the usual "It depends". Longer answer depends on details. Was there a raise pre flop? If so how much? Who is in position? Was it three bet pre (I assume not). How did the flop action go? If V just open jams flop and you're left to act behind I can't see how you can fold top two. If you're first and bet and get raised then you 3 bet and he jams I think we can let it go. If V is first and he bets and we raise and he 3 bet jams we can probably only fold if there's no flush draw and V is not super aggressive. I could go through about 10 different "if" scenarios. Many times you'll just have to call it off here with top two. In a few scenarios you can find a fold though.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, generally speaking this is going to fit in the cooler category.

There are rare cases where it's not, but usually top 2 pair vs set is going to be a cooler.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play mostly tournaments 6-9 players and for me two pairs hand is too weak to go all-in.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there was enough raise pre-flop then probably 33 might have dropped out. But 33 entered the pot which suggest that raise was not good enough. You were holding K-10 which also is not a strong hand and it confirms that you were unable to make effective preflop move.
Under these circumstances you can't go all-in even with two pairs. You have to consider the possibility of a set.
Low pairs are difficult to predict. These are undetectable hands as most of the time we remain engaged with top pair and top kicker and never thought about a set. The only way it can be predicted is through your preflop action.

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Situational call

There are other variables you have to consider as well like others have mentioned. Ask the question if I have K and 10 as pairs so what is he likely to shove with.

KK and 10-10 is in his range but not likely. He could have AK or even K10 or K3 but you take away some of those outs since you have K10.

It’s not often people are shoving with say A3 since they have bottom pair, but a set makes it more of a possibility.

The next possibility could be he his shoving on a flush or straight draw hoping to hit big with AQ,AJ,QJ, or,J9. which means you are ahead but could strikeout later on.

I’m mean that’s how I’ll think to myself when deciding the play.

But you also have to look at a players previous moves( maybe I watched him do this to a player 10 hands earlier?). Is he tight or aggressive? And how many people before me are calling the shove?

There are times where I folded and it turned out to be a great play meaning they did have trips. Times I called and won or busted, and times where I shot myself in the foot cause I could’ve tripled or quadrupled up because everyone else was playing like idiots and I would’ve won regardless that there are 4 people calling an All-in-er.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you only way you get away, in that situation, is if your opponent in the hand is if you and your opponent in the hand are the two big chip stacks at the table because it would be unlikely for either one of you to want to go to war with each other without a having monster hand, like a set. But it's easy, in the situation you described, for your opponent to have AK or AA, though I'm assuming there was no big re-raise before flop. I'm assuming that you discounted the possibility of KK. I don't think that I could have gotten away from that hand.