Am I overvaluing my monster hands?

S

smilence

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Got couple of tough spots in a $1/$2/$3 NL game. many mediocre players who call with a wide range of hands or overvalue their top pair.

1) UTG+1 and MP limped, I as MP limped behind with 69o (well maybe i should just fold), BB check.

Flop: Jd6d9d. BB bets $15, UTG+1 fold, MP called. I put both of them on a J or a flush draw, I raised to $60, BB called, and then MP shoved with $300. It's very hard for me to put him on a flush since he just flat called.

wouldn't he want to raise and charge flush draw right now if he got the nut flush since it's unlikely for others to hit the flush on later streets? ( or if he got the small flush he should also be raising to charge the nut flush draw I suppose?)

So I called, surprisingly BB called as well. MP showed 5d7d, BB had JJ.

2) 3 limpers to MP, and he raised to $20, I had 35s and I was thinking between 3-bet or call. I called, 3 limpers called as well. 5 way to the flop.

Flop came A35 rainbow. We have two pair.

UTG bets $30, MP raised to $100. At that point I feel MP could have a strong Ace, since UTG as limper cannot have AJ/AQ/AK. I want to get money in right now.

I shoved with $300+. UTG snap call. MP struggled and folded.

UTG showed A5o, top two pair. MP told his friend he had AK.

3) MP limped, I raised with KQo in cutoff, a tight guy called on the button. flop came Q75 rainbow. MP check, I bet, button called, MP called. Turn is another Q, I check called. river is a J, I check called button's shove (about 2/3 pot size) I certainly dont like my hand at that point.

He showed AQo.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think you need to evaluate what you consider "monster hands" as none of these are stack-off hands. They aren't even "great hands." I would rank them good at bet, but that's being optimistic.

Mini1380

Mini1380

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of done something similar

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would certainly think that my hand is monstrous although it is possible that I lose with a lower hand

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hands 1 and 2 look like they should be folded preflop to me.

When you flop bottom two pair you don't have a monster in a multi-way pot... that being said you can play aggressively to protect your hand if you think you are ahead.

Since the first two hands are multi-way and both times more than one player is interested after the flop, you should realize that even if your hand is currently good you are not very far ahead and you could be very far behind.

I think you need to find a fold on Hand #1 as played, I don't particularly like your raise on the flop, just call and try to fill up. Top pair with a diamond is almost favored against your hand... After you raise, you then face a shove with a player behind you - you are now definitely behind and have an easy fold.

Hand #2 once you call the raise and get that flop you might be ahead sometimes but I'd greatly prefer your line had you flatted with pocket 3's and flopped a set. In a five-handed raised pot 53s is pretty trashy unless you flop perfectly. Here you're a slight favorite against AK and with two players' action saying they hit the flop you are just hoping you're not way behind.

Hand #3 looks like you played well but got coolered here. At least you raised preflop and bet this above average flop for your hand. I would have probably just barreled turn and depending on stacks value bet or shoved river.

Good luck to you! :D

M

microse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doug hit the nail on the head.

To make your post-flop play easier, I recommend not being present for as many flops. Hands 1 and 2 should be folded pre-flop, in which case you no longer have tough decisions to make.

I would not call ANY of these hands monsters, not in the slightest.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first hand alone should be a fold preflop. That is just wasting money getting in their with 69o from mid position. One of the reasons is because someone in the later position (For example: the button) can repop the pot and take advantage of your weak range.

If you are going play hands like 69o from mid position you are going to have a strong post flop game. Be able to get away from a low two pair when facing heavy aggression from multiple players.

Sergio_uy

Sergio_uy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
position is first second yours cards and flop

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you should ask yourself if it's worth getting in with these hands that you're playing ....

C

clayvision

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Got couple of tough spots in a $1/$2/$3 NL game. many mediocre players who call with a wide range of hands or overvalue their top pair.

1) UTG+1 and MP limped, I as MP limped behind with 69o (well maybe i should just fold), BB check.

Flop: Jd6d9d. BB bets $15, UTG+1 fold, MP called. I put both of them on a J or a flush draw, I raised to $60, BB called, and then MP shoved with $300. It's very hard for me to put him on a flush since he just flat called.

wouldn't he want to raise and charge flush draw right now if he got the nut flush since it's unlikely for others to hit the flush on later streets? ( or if he got the small flush he should also be raising to charge the nut flush draw I suppose?)

So I called, surprisingly BB called as well. MP showed 5d7d, BB had JJ.

2) 3 limpers to MP, and he raised to $20, I had 35s and I was thinking between 3-bet or call. I called, 3 limpers called as well. 5 way to the flop.

Flop came A35 rainbow. We have two pair.

UTG bets $30, MP raised to $100. At that point I feel MP could have a strong Ace, since UTG as limper cannot have AJ/AQ/AK. I want to get money in right now.

I shoved with $300+. UTG snap call. MP struggled and folded.

UTG showed A5o, top two pair. MP told his friend he had AK.

3) MP limped, I raised with KQo in cutoff, a tight guy called on the button. flop came Q75 rainbow. MP check, I bet, button called, MP called. Turn is another Q, I check called. river is a J, I check called button's shove (about 2/3 pot size) I certainly dont like my hand at that point.

He showed AQo.

These hands are instructive on why you need to narrow your preflop range, youre considering 3betting hands like 35s and youre considering limping behind hands like 69o without asking yourself the question of "how am i going to make money if i do this" if you narrow your preflop range you are put in fewer tough spots and will have a better card edge over your opponents who are likely playing far more loose

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands