All in, call or raise?

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the things i see sometimes and dont really know how to play it is when im holding a monster like AA KK, QQ, AK, more the AA and KK. But someone pushs infront of you and weather or not you should call or raise and when someone pushs infront of you and then someone calls, i dont know weather to call or raise

Here a couple situations- Lets say all are $11 45 seaters with 26 left.

Blinds are 50/100. average stack is 4k.
You: 4.5k
Person 1: 2k
Person 2: 6k

You are holding on to one of the monters(AA, KK, QQ AK) and person 1 shoves and person 2 calls. do you call to or shove?

blinds 50/100 . Average stack is 4k
You- 4.5k
Person 1: 2k

Person 1 shoves from early position and you are in middle position. There are about 4 or 5 players behind you, do you call or raise all in?

Blinds 50/100. average 4k
You: 5k
Person 1: 4k
Person 2: 1.5k

Person 2 calls and person 1 raises. to 500. What do you now? call....raise.....raise how much?

There are a lot of other situations like this and the chip stacks and positions always vary but i need to know how to be able to handle most of them to maxamize my stack.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1: Push all-in
2: Shove - unless there is a really aggressive person behind you that might shove to squeeze you out. If so, trap him by cold calling both the first all in, and his all in.
3: Player 2 is going to have a tough time calling the rest of his stack, re-raise to 1500 and isolate player 1. If player 2 tags along, you are still likely in good shape.

whyareunvs

whyareunvs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even with a monster you're not a huge favorite in a multi-way pot. You want to get it heads up.

Situation 1. Shove. You don't want anyone thinking I'm in the blind, I don't have a monster but it's a huge pot with x-y suited or connected and drawing out on you.

Situation 2. I think player two is more apt to call if both you and player 1 play as he's looking at tripling his short stack. So then you're stuck in a multiway and much higher probability for a suck out.

L

Leaf_Pacos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I might be more likely to push all-in with the AA, KK and possibly the QQ. A player short stacked like that is often acting in desparation to build up their chips stacks. I have seen players in similar situations (3-way, 3rd most chips) go all in with J10 offsuit hoping to at least make a couple of pairs. The player with 6000 chips is likely also thinking this so he figures he will call the 2000 with a semi decent hand (maybe K10) thinking that he will have high card going into the flop. Pushing all-in here is a definite isolation play and is a good play at that. However, unless you're sure that you have an excellent chance of winning here, you should fold. You're mentioning big hands like AA, KK etc but anything less and you might as well save you're chips...

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldnt like pushing with either QQ or AK with people going all-in around me.

AK unless you hit flop your in trouble, QQ isnt that great if you have had people before you already go all in as either could have AA, KK, AK which could beat you.

Also it depends on the table & players - loose, aggressive, tight and of course position.

But put another spin on it - would you feel comfortable knowing you lost pushing in with QQ or AK when people had already pushed in or had yet to play?

IanT

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#1 - Push. Player 2 may well call with a wide range of hands due to him feeling priced into the pot. Ensure you get as much in as possible while you're (almost) certain you have the best hand.

#2 - Push to drive action away and get HU.

#3 - Reraise to 1.5k. You're slightly too deepstacked for a push to be optimal here. Push any flop if checked to, call if pushed into on 90% of flops.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
whyareunvs said:
Even with a monster you're not a huge favorite in a multi-way pot. You want to get it heads up.
This is not true. With a monster, especially AA, you're always a huge favorite - even when all 9 other players enter the pot with you. You won't win the majority of the time, but that's not the same as you not being a huge favorite.

With QQ, you may want to get kings and aces to fold, but with aces your job should really be to try to get as much money into the pot as possible preflop. Preferably enough to make the other guy committed to the pot.

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Question 1 - Push.
Question 2 - Call AA and KK, Push QQ, Fold30%/Push70% AK
Question 3 - Raise to 2100-2500 with KK and QQ(This shows larger stack that ALL of his chips will be in the middle if he continues with the hand,
and push50%/Call50% AK
Question 3
FOR A-A ONLY!
Raise to 1000!!!!!! NOT 1500!
You want to take on both players here.
The ideal situation would be that the small stack re-raises your re-raise thus reopening the betting allowing you to push in on the larger stack.
If you isolate the small stack, the larger stack can get away from the hand, if you just raise to 1000, the larger stack will probably just call, but the small stack will either fold or push, (he shouldn't call, and it would be a mistake to fold at this point) thus allowing you to reraise all-in on the larger stack.

whyareunvs

whyareunvs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
F Paulsson said:
This is not true. With a monster, especially AA, you're always a huge favorite - even when all 9 other players enter the pot with you. You won't win the majority of the time, but that's not the same as you not being a huge favorite.

With QQ, you may want to get kings and aces to fold, but with aces your job should really be to try to get as much money into the pot as possible preflop. Preferably enough to make the other guy committed to the pot.

With AA against 9 other hands you're a huge favorite against any one of the hands (roughly 5-1) but overall you're 2-1 to lose. I'm not saying that you don't want to get as much money in the pot as you can with aces, but your decisions become much more dicey post-flop when you're playing in a multi-way pot and a pair of ducks is a fav when the flop comes 2-7-J rainbow.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
whyareunvs said:
With AA against 9 other hands you're a huge favorite against any one of the hands (roughly 5-1) but overall you're 2-1 to lose.
Sure, but I'll win 9 times my investment one time in three, giving me an expected value of 2.3 stacks. Compare that to pushing all in with only one opponent, and an equity of ~85%, which produces an expected value of 1.55 stacks. Clearly, getting everyone in is a more profitable move. Being "2:1 to lose" is only really of interest if I'm playing a satellite.