AKo in BB vs UTG open + BTN call

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In 5/5 live game, not a very aggressive game but people open very light, 1 person open and many callers behind, not many people bluff

UTG 1 ($500) open for $20
UTG 2 fold
MP 1 fold
MP 2 fold
MP 3 fold
CO fold
BTN ($1000) call $20
SB fold
Hero BB ($600) 3bet to $80

UTG 1 open $20, BTN call, I raise to $80; UTG 1 call, BTN call...

Flop ($245) Jd 10d 3h
I bet out $120, UTG 1 think a while then call, BTN call quickly

Turn ($600) 6h
I bet all in $300, UTG 1 think again for a minute then call, BTN call quickly again

River 5c
UTG won with A10o...he is new to our table and I have never played with him before; what a call in my mind because he has the A which block my only bluff hand which is AK; or it could be a call because I look young.

I think playing AKo this way is a mistake. How would you play this hand?

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In 5/5 live game, not a very aggressive game but people open very light, 1 person open and many callers behind, not many people bluff

UTG 1 ($500) open for $20
UTG 2 fold
MP 1 fold
MP 2 fold
MP 3 fold
CO fold
BTN ($1000) call $20
SB fold
Hero BB ($600) 3bet to $80

UTG 1 open $20, BTN call, I raise to $80; UTG 1 call, BTN call...

Flop ($245) Jd 10d 3h
I bet out $120, UTG 1 think a while then call, BTN call quickly

Turn ($600) 6h
I bet all in $300, UTG 1 think again for a minute then call, BTN call quickly again

River 5c
UTG won with A10o...he is new to our table and I have never played with him before; what a call in my mind because he has the A which block my only bluff hand which is AK; or it could be a call because I look young.

I think playing AKo this way is a mistake. How would you play this hand?

An AKo isn't going to win pots by itself. It seems you were bluffing a Q, and just because you are bluffing doesn't mean the other players recognised you were trying to say you had a straight. You have to know the players will recognise a straight develping before you can sell that story. Barrelling with an AKo that didn't connect with anything in the flop is not wise. I would check the flop here to seee if others lead the betting. This lets you know the hit something. Also barrelling doesn't work when better players reaad the flop and know you missed your draw. JT by itself doesn't make the straight you were selling them on. The villain's call of AT is a bit strange, but its hard to say he called because you looked young or blocking a bluff, he could also be a newer player who saw he had a pair and A kicker. Middle pair, true, but that doesn't deter a lot of newer players. His call suggests he might be stubborn to fold middle pairs. in the future you could use that against him. You might also not try to bluff this bunch, Especially since they like to call. Just call or check and force them to bet to reveal their hands. Give yourself a place to fold in the betting strategy. you needed a fold here soemewhere. Remember whine drawing for Q (gutshot straight), you will only hit your strainght 16% of the time. Make sure your pot odds are around 16% or you will lose money drawing for a Q this way. If you connect an A or a K in the flop and then puch for a Straight, your winning chance is much better.

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it is a mistake $600 down the drain!! I think i Should have check/call and look for better spot...

K

kbolding7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just think that I would have either three bet a little bigger being out of position, something around that 100-120 range might have been better but they probably would have still called. Kind of a tough board for you especially three handed.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably check/fold turn, before that I probably made the same. Only do something different if I have any read about them.

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You thought well after the flop and you had to stop at the turn with betting ;)
:angel: