AKo against 4-bet shove at 10nl

J

Jordansimo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

Reviewing a not so hypothetical situation from earlier. You sit down readless at a zoom table. BU opens for 3x, you 3-bet 4x from the BB and BU shoves for the rest of your 100bb stack, is this an autofold or a fairly unpleasant call?

Villain had KK and trying to be non biased I think it was a bit silly of me to call

Cheers

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this hand comes down a lot to population tendencies. If you're 3-bet/folding a hand as strong as AK in a big blind vs button spot, that's pretty exploitable but could be correct if stack-off ranges tend to be really tight.

I'm calling here though most of the time for the additional reason that Villain's range is capped here. If he has AA, he's unlikely to overbet shove since he'll want more value. We also block KK+.

So I like the call here but would be curious to know what others more familiar with the current 10nl Zoom games think about the button's range in this spot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is obviously a fairly non-standard line by BTN, so even though I have played a lot of 10NL in the past few years, I dont know what to make of it other than the fact, I dont think, we are dealing with a good regular here. Its more like fish being very exited, he has the nuts, or going crazy with whatever.

In a lot of spots at 10NL I dont mind folding AK to 4-bets or 5-bets, especially in full ring games, where a lot of regulars are very straight forward with a low bluffing frequenzy. But in 6-max, in late position and against someone, who seem like a fish, I would also make the call. I expect to see enough random nonsense here to compensate for the times, I am behind to KK+.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I 3bet this AK to shove both BB and BTN.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a fairly standard call off. BTN is opening wide, you are 3betting wide and thus he will be jamming wide. It's unfortunate you ran into KK here leaving you with very few outs. I don't play a lot of zoom tho.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Overall calling is most likely profitable in the long term. You're not often running into KK+, so normally you're at just below 50% through to having about 75% when you crush villians Ax+, Kx+ range.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be clear about it, if Villain is only going crazy with pocket pairs like TT+, another AK and maybe AQs, then we are not getting the right odds, and this is unfortunately a fold. So its all about, do we think, he will show up with AQo or random nonsense like KTo or 98s often enough? Some will, some wont, so its really nice to have some reads here, which unfortunately we often dont have at Zoom.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the opponent, but it seems to me that in his range there will be no hands weaker than only AD. In any case, the coin is not in your favor

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold for me. micro shoving against 3bets ranges readless are 90% AA-KK from my experience

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually fold is what we do with AKo vs 4bets. 4bets means QQ or better, which has you beat in this situation.

P

Plaza

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this hand comes down a lot to population tendencies. If you're 3-bet/folding a hand as strong as AK in a big blind vs button spot, that's pretty exploitable but could be correct if stack-off ranges tend to be really tight.

I'm calling here though most of the time for the additional reason that Villain's range is capped here. If he has AA, he's unlikely to overbet shove since he'll want more value. We also block KK+.

So I like the call here but would be curious to know what others more familiar with the current 10nl Zoom games think about the button's range in this spot.

It would depend for me. If it was suited I call all day everyday, but off suit, I have called previously and I’ve folded previously. If it’s an unknown I tend to fold more until such time I know a bit more about the player. Any fish tendencies I make the call. A reg would seldom do this but I’ve also done this myself when I have just sat down to make me appear fishy, but I also do this with AA KK QQ again if I’ve just sat down.
I would say it’s about 70/30 on calling v an unknown.

Plaza