Advice on bankroll management.

Camperfox

Camperfox

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all!
I started a new thing just about a week ago and I want some advice on it.

Since I am 10 player SnG player mostly(too scared to go cash yet :p), I have a bankroll at 72$ atm and playing 2,5+0,25 buyin.
I make the money relatively often I have a spreadsheet of it but haven't made a graph or anything of it yet will do at the end of the month.

However I have decided that it is about time that I get some cash out every month, which makes me move out 33% of the winnings to the other account on unibet. This has made my bankroll increase move more slowly which I don't really mind, been stomping at 70~$ for abour a week now while the other account is up to about 40-50$. (I hope I make sense, I am a Swede so English doesn't come natural ;))

I intend to move up to 5$ tables at the 28th of april if my bankroll can take it, and the advice I am looking for is do you think I should lower the percentage of the outtake or continue with what I'm doing?

Hard question I know but advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope to see you guys at Unibet

/hugs from the Fox ;)

xI Boris Ix

xI Boris Ix

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as what you pull out I always have gone with the double up half method. Basically if you start with $50 and make it to $100 pull out $25 (taking out half of what you doubled) leaving you with $75. Then when you get to $150 pull out $37.50 leaving you with $112.5. When you hit $225 then pull out $56.25 etc... This will allow you to still take money out but also keep from diminishing you bankroll so much that you can never move up in levels.

Camperfox

Camperfox

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your hints guys, I greatly appreciate them, follow post alien liked to read it :D
The fox sends his fanx :)

C

channing73ny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gl

i have very bad bankroll management skills recently i was up 300 at cake and gave it all back with in 24hrs the i was up $3,500 at ap 3 days later i was broke i had fun seeing as though it was all money i was up i was playing very loose.well what i got from all this is my talent in ring games is suspect very hard too keep a bankroll up there for me.its hard tooo play in lowsteak games for me when i get my bankroll up high and i tend too cripple my bankroll.is there away too discipline your self from this happening all the time.

Camperfox

Camperfox

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I can't really speak for cash games, but really, set up a rules for your playing and follow them, than consider every table you sit down at whether it is low stakes or high stakes as the most important table you sit down at and do your best to go away with +chips. Works for me in SnG's but as I said can't speak for cash. I usually look at my SnG table as the wsop final table.. (lol)

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AG: In your opinion working off that table you've provided, would the Multi-SnGs on stars, the games that are 18-45 players, for a players BR would they fall under SnG or MTT BR requirements?

J

joeey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
higher the stakes, higher the rewards

bankroll management has always been one of my biggest obstacles since i started playing for real money, i can win money but have a hard time keeping it and i don't have a clue on the first thing on how to go about with drawing funds but i'll save that for another time but hey if you have a method and its working stick with it, but i would say if there was a limit to where i'd pull out it would be when i double up and only if it were over 100.00 dollars or euros etc. anything less seems like your wasting time with drawing small amounts so remember higher the stakes, higher the rewards:)

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm just a little bit curious about something. how come you don't think you're ready to try out ring games?
if you're able to be consistent in $2 sng's, i'm 100% sure you can beat 2NL, and at a faster pace than you'll be building your BR in sng's.
not saying you shouldn't play sng's, just letting you know if you're beating sng's regularily, 2nl will be fun times.

bulldog2782

bulldog2782

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are you transfering money out from the account you are playign on. that was my biggest mistake i made playing poker. i tryed to build a BR on both FT and stars but it just does not work out. build a BR on one site and then when the game selection is not enough on that one site transfer some money to a different site as well as keeping the one you already had.

Steve Ruddock

Steve Ruddock

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, it's very difficult to build a bankroll and cash out any considerable amount at the same time.

My advice to you would be to concentrate on one site until you have the bankroll you want, then you can start on another site, and use site 1 for cashouts. Don't try to build 2 bankrolls and earn money, you need to crawl before you walk.

The money will eventually come, don't get impatient.

Right now you have around $100 total which is roughly 36 buy-ins. I use a shot taking approach to bankroll building (you must have the ability to move down in stakes for this to work:

When you have 50 buy-ins for the $2.50+.25's (about $137) start playing the $5's, if you drop below $100 you go back to the $2.50's until you work your roll back to the $130 area, then take your shots at the $5 tourneys again. Repeat as necessary.

You could then do the same for $10 S&G's. So, once you build your bankroll up to about $250 playing the 5's you can take shots at the 10's, if you go below $200 you move back to the 5's. If you go on a bad streak and start getting killed at the 5's you can drop back to the 2.5's.

This is the fastest way to build your bankroll up I have found, and I have never gone broke from this method. The key is a willingness to move down if you have a bad streak.

Camperfox

Camperfox

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the advice m8, I will try that out I think. Nice avatar picture, have it on my computer as well heheh :p

Have fun! :D

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AG: In your opinion working off that table you've provided, would the Multi-SnGs on stars, the games that are 18-45 players, for a players BR would they fall under SnG or MTT BR requirements?

SNG = 9 or 10 handed, so you could simply adjust based on the number of players (more = want more BR). Maybe around a 10% increase in buyins for every 9 or so more players (so a 18 person sng br would be 93ish buyins for protected, a 45 person sng br would be 115?)

Remember, your RoR (Risk of Ruin) is partially a function of your edge vs. your opponets (your skill level vs. theirs), so the answer to this question (like lots of poker questions :)) really is "it depends", and will need to be adjusted for the individual: the better you are than your opponents, the less BR you need to avoid going broke.

T

ThaJayMan11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A method I like to use to manage a bankroll, is what I call the Squeeze... I call it that because this helps you squeeze everything you can out of a limited bankroll... I have never had a big bankroll to play poker with so I have always had to use the Squeeze.

HOW 2 Use The Squeeze

Basically its a way to manage your money so that you get the most out of every table that you sit down at, or lose a small amount instead of a large stack. So if there is a 1-2 no limit table which requires a minimum buy in of $60, then you should buy in with no more than $100. This way if lose, its only $100 and you can move to a table where u may see better cards. But if you win good,you can easily turn that into $500-$1000. The Most Important part of my method is to walk away when your luck changes. You can aways sit down at a new table or switch positions/seats at the table. Many times I have seen people go on a streak and win some big hands, but once their luck changes they go on tilt and fritter away all their chips chasing the next big hand. Therefore, once you win over double your money set a limit at which you will walk away from that table... For example, if your stack is 300 maybe you set a limit of 200, this way even if you hit some bad luck you will still walk away from that table a winner... SO, keep jumping from table to table setting limits, playing smart and tight to grow you bank roll easy...

But by all means, DO NOT walk away from a table that you are having great luck at, only walk away if your luck has turned on you... Setting a limit can not only help you grow a bankroll, but it can also keep you from going broke or building up debt...

C

chispa73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to establish what your goals are.
Goal: To move up in levels of play where I'm playing in $25-$50/$50-100.
DON'T TOUCH YOUR MONEY. Look up the Chris Ferguson BR tips and build up your 10K that way. Then you re-think what your new goal is. Is it to make another 10K or do you want to cash out $1000 a month or take your money and run?

Goal: To get money every week by playing good poker.

Keep up what you're doing but you'll never average more than $70 a week. If that's what you're doing then you might as well get another job. Probably less time invested than grinding it out for 20-30 hours a week playing poker online.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management