D

Dlee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

A situation:

8 players start of hand, eventually ending heads up with the river on the table. First player to act is thinking, other player bets. So basically out of turn, deliberately as a strategic move.
Any thoughts on rules/etiquette in this situation?
Thanks!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

A situation:

8 players start of hand, eventually ending heads up with the river on the table. First player to act is thinking, other player bets. So basically out of turn, deliberately as a strategic move.
Thanks!

Thank U 4 Posting.

You must immediately get a ruling from the floor person before acting. Not the dealer or other players the floor person. Then you will now what to do based on your hand strength.

If this is a tournament I would ask for a time penalty on the player if the tournament does that. If you do not know what that is, the villain has to sit out of play for a set time period. Do not take this kind of angle shooting lightly. Go for max punishment for someone who would cheat like this.

Hope this helps

:):)

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting.

You must immediately get a ruling from the floor person before acting. Not the dealer or other players the floor person. Then you will now what to do based on your hand strength.

If this is a tournament I would ask for a time penalty on the player if the tournament does that. If you do not know what that is, the villain has to sit out of play for a set time period. Do not take this kind of angle shooting lightly. Go for max punishment for someone who would cheat like this.

Hope this helps

This is important to not let the other player dictate and get a floor ruling for a penalty or something. Sometimes however, they say the bet stands if you check. So if you have something that is worth calling, I'd suggest just calling unless you have the nuts. If you do have the nuts, check raise big to make your hand look weak.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

A situation:

Thanks!

Thank U 4 Posting.

Sorry was not paying attention to the cash game tag in my earlier post.

Ok, Where is the game? Home game with friends for fun? Under ground game with gangsters? Regulated poker room?

This action is cheating. How you handle it depends on the situation you are in. As I said in a poker room get a ruling and get the player reprimanded. Unless the player is a whale and plays so badly you do not care when they cheat.

Vs friends for real money reprimand your friend and see if other players will agree to ban such plays. If it is a penny game then just let it go.

Vs gangsters do what does not get you harmed.:eek::evil:

Hope this helps

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's an incredible strategy if it gets you to check an otherwise strong hand that you would have value bet. As a poker player I'm sure you can even respect this move from a villain-- it is simply a risk-vs-reward, as it's not usually egregious enough of an "offense" to get you kicked out, but definitely levels the hero, as the hero now has to wonder whether the player did it on purpose or not.

Generally your bet does not stand in a cash game as far as I have seen, but I'm sure this varies from locale to locale.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even in a cash game the rule has been action out of turn is valid unless it is altered. In other words if everyone checks to the out of turn it then becomes a valid bet. If someone bets any amount before the out of turn action the action has changed then it is not a call or bet and the out of turn player has the option of calling folding or raising the bettor. I have seen that ruling in both cash and tournament games in all the places i have played in Florida. Also if this a repetitive violation then action should be taken on the out of turn player. If it is the first time it happens a warning should suffice.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

A situation:

Thanks!

In my live room they make you keep your bet out there unless the player who's turn it is changes the action.

A check-raise or fold are predictable actions.

Good luck !