Accounting for Rake in Pot Odds?

B

bigrog70

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

Does anyone subtract the rake when calculating pot odds or do you just not bother?

Thanks

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Generally, no. If the difference between rake and no-rake changes the decision, it was probably close enough to be a coin-flip either way. You don't know your opponent's hand or range with enough certainty that it would matter. There are times when it might matter, or makes certain types of hands less attractive, but not too many.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definitely no, never

what the point? if you are worried about rake, then you are still not good enough to be in profits and such extra calculations will make it even harded to reach

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
definitely no, never

what the point? if you are worried about rake, then you are still not good enough to be in profits and such extra calculations will make it even harded to reach
Good players worry about rake and know how much it is costing them. The calculations aren't even extra. They come naturally with the others. The rake can turn some marginally profitable hands into unplayable ones. But, the question is asking about pot odds. And you are normally at a point where there is enough uncertainty that if rake makes a difference, you aren't making a huge error either way.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like vinnie said, the spots where rake matters are very marginal anyway. However there's still an edge in factoring in rake into your decisionmaking.

Following the logic of: most people are able to play correctly in very obvious spots --> your edge comes from marginal spots it makes sense to use rake in your calculations. For most people this is limit to playing different ranges preflop (play a few big pots vs many small pots). I don't know if anyone goes as far as using rake in on the fly calculations since the edge is very small for these situations, where optimal play is ambiguous at best, and very sentistive to assumptions at worst.

DanyDiablo

DanyDiablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The truth is that I do not, I think about the cost benefit of the hand, and the characteristics of the opponents ....... after that we only have to pray! lololol Good hands.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not worried about this issue I'm only concerned about making a success at the table taking notes on each player and trying to beat them that's in my opinion the most important thing

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator