AA Pre-flop

M

mkd33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have been playing cash micro games for a year, fluctuating my bankroll up and down and not really earning or losing over that year.

However, one hand that continues to stump me is the AA pre-flop play.

When I land this hand I am always in two minds, raise low and try to get re-raised and then shove or just shove straight off.

It feels like everytime I see a flop with AA I lose the hand, thus I feel I should be raising higher than min bet pre-flop to minimise chances of being called but I feel when I do this I lose potential value.

Any comments advice is greatly appreciated!

MK

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, first of all I'm pleased to be the first to welcome you. I hope you can take advantage of all the good advice and post about poker and other things that you will find in this great community.

with respect to the AA Pre-Flop there is a thread which I recommend you read https://www.cardschat.com/forum/lea...nd-strongest-cards-before-407179/#post4825969
(It is not my post but here you will find varied opinions about the subject), in the case that you raise, I think you should check your raise since you are in micro - games this makes the players call many hands regularly without taking into account the raise that you can do, this makes many bad beats happen, however I recommend you read the Thread, greetings and welcome

M

mkd33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the welcome and the link.

I will be reading through the opinions this afternoon.

MK

N

Newstyle_1704

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having AA preflop, you need to make 3-4 bets and wait for the flop, if the flop develops successfully, then you can go all in

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise 3x if you are to open the hand + 1 BB per person limped. Depends on your table but rest assured AA is BEST played all-in pre-flop and major weakness is its "pull" post flop which will bring your entire stack down post flop...especially if you make it known you have a "big" pair and you intent to "go" with it theyll call to set mine instant draw then pull you down.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having AA preflop, you need to make 3-4 bets and wait for the flop, if the flop develops successfully, then you can go all in

Make it 3x ....4x gives away your hand usually without accomplishing much more. Also if you wait for a flop and do what you say they'll be making an aggression mistake 85% of time where only two pair or better is calling and all in on flop 85% of time. Their all in potential is gone unless they got out flopped. Yes 15% of time people will call with TPOK or TPTK AA means time to get it all in PRE. Don't re-re-raise just all-in less intimidating and get the job done right even if you are super deep....unless you are in a highly skilled super roller.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The amount I raise would probably depend on who else is in the pot. If 1-2 players have limped I would at least 2x and hope they come along to build the pot. If I'm first to act I'd 3x and hope someone calls. If it's blind vs blind I might lead the other blind lead just so I don't get walked.

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call/Check - If there are aggressive players at the table and they likely do the raising themself pre-flop. Once they do you can re-raise or go all in.
2x,3x,4x - Depends on what kind of hand you wish to represent. 2x a middle range pair or something like J10. But weak hands might call this so if you want them to fold go with 3x or 4x both represent very strong hands.
All In - When you are low on BBs.

Of course it's also a question of when you get the AA. It's a lot more powerful hand late in the tournament than it would be earlier.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was playing with a bunch of nits and passive aggressive players tonite and normally I would raise but limped in and that was a mistake 6 player family pot and got cracked Thankfully it was against one with much smaller stack size.
I like to have only 2-3 players. 4 at the most on the flop.
Cards that I like to reduce from family pots are AA. KK. AK AQ (the last two I want iso 1). If I am in late position. I will add any low suites connector from J-10 and J-9 down to iso and steal on later streets

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I welcome you to the club))
There are a lot of tips on this topic on our forum...
putting a little work - you will find many answers here))) good luck in the game)
:top:

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Greetings to you in our community.
With such a strong hand I always play aggressively. But it is important to take into account your position at the table. Understanding how to play in certain situations will come with gaining experience.
Good luck.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raise 3x if you are to open the hand + 1 BB per person limped. Depends on your table but rest assured AA is BEST played all-in pre-flop and major weakness is its "pull" post flop which will bring your entire stack down post flop...especially if you make it known you have a "big" pair and you intent to "go" with it theyll call to set mine instant draw then pull you down.

This a solid advice, 3x + 1 BB per limper. Also try to use this bet sizing pre-flop with most of your range, so you can disguise your holdings.
Yes, AA is best played all in pre, but not often will you see opponents with KK or QQ so you can shove it all pre.

Basically keep in mind what the board texture is, from what position are opponents playing etc. Try too remember or note opponents based on hands that got to showdown so u can narrow their range and make correct calls or folds with AA.
Also, always keep in mind, that AA post flop is almost always like any other overpair. If you don't have this problem with KK, try to figure out why, and see if it can be implemented when you hold AA.

O

omer10068

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends very much on how many hands you have at the table, if it's with a table of 9 players so you better bet a little hard to isolate yourself with someone, that's my opinion and usually I do not lose with that hand

J

jofieloviedo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA the best hand

AA is the best hand you can recieve in poker. I think you want to go all in pre-flop most of the time and you will surely win. Of course there are moments when you lose with AA but nevertheless you will win most of the time. I also think you have to think if you wanna go all in pre-flop or if you wanna play it till the flop. If you go all in pre-flop and other player made a call that could means that he or she has a good hand like KK so maybe you could lose. Think about it when you have AA

fadisn

fadisn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing is guaranteed online, I have lost many AA hands against cards like 27 !
No one can advice you with the correct strategy, all I can say is GOOD LUCK :D

Vachina

Vachina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should ignore most of the people mumbling in this thread.

You must find a consistent bet sizing. If you raise 4x with AA and 2x with everything else - other people will pick that up eventually and you will get much less action.

3x + 1bb per limper is what I typically raise. You can add 0,5bb if you happen to be oop

You have no obligation to go to showdown when you have a big pair. If you feel that AA might be beat, proceed with caution, control the pot size on wet boards etc.

Regards

odo333

odo333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
AA these are by far the best Hold'em starter cards. You should be practically always played, even in early or middle positions and when the opponent raises. I think aggressive game is recommended, so if you have a AA or KK, you should definitely raise. In addition, it minimizes the risk of losing the hand, for example with 67, J10 and ect.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should ignore most of the people mumbling in this thread.

You must find a consistent bet sizing. If you raise 4x with AA and 2x with everything else - other people will pick that up eventually and you will get much less action.

3x + 1bb per limper is what I typically raise. You can add 0,5bb if you happen to be oop

You have no obligation to go to showdown when you have a big pair. If you feel that AA might be beat, proceed with caution, control the pot size on wet boards etc.

Regards
very good advice "You must find a consistent bet sizing."
Dont tip the strength or weakness of your hand by changing your bet sizes. Now having said that you need to isolate to a heads up match with AA, the more players against AA the lower your odds of wining are. So you need to be able to know how your table is going to react to your standard bet. If you normally raise 3x and get 5 callers this is where I would change my bet size but i would have been doing that for every hand im in. I would never suggest limping in. Even in the situation where it is just you the SB and BB I still would raise. You need to make sure you get value out of your hand. After the flop if i dont flop an Ace I like to take it down there.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the more risk you take, the bigger the gains. it is true that playing aggressive AA preflop does not report much of the time plupard but it is the most sure way to not be forced to face several players. If I have the position and I see that it is 1 to 3 at most I will tend to take more risk.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are the most heartbroken cards in poker hahaha is a hand of everything and based on my personal opinion always leaves me with nothing hahaha:cool:

V

voooky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
50/50% overbet preflop, AA sometines lose, it happens