A Nit's Apology (why tight is right for me)

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly wouldn't know what my stats would be like in FR. Tighter, obviously, since I'd have another 3 positions in which I'd be squeaky-tight. Maybe 15/12 or something like that? I definitely think it's OK to play this way in FR as well.

Like I said, I've found no evidence suggesting (at 200NL, at least) that LAG players even make more money than TAGs. If that's because the style isn't as profitable or because the players who play it can't do it properly, I couldn't say. So if you're struggling with turning a profit on certain hands, just fold them. If you later on get better at playing in certain situations, they might now show a profit so you can start playing them again.

Running filters and re-examining your preflop play (or your profitability for certain hands/positions) routinely is a little bit like having your car serviced. Not particularly fun, but useful and saves you a lot in the long run.

ok FP, its good to see that at even 200nl this approach or style of TAG works profitably as 200nl is a good level of poker and you can indeed make a living there. Do you think or see a reason why the same TAG style wouldnt work at FR?

What filters are you running to service your game as I havent ever really run filters and would be interested to see the outcomes of some.
Finally how many tables are you playing?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok FP, its good to see that at even 200nl this approach or style of TAG works profitably as 200nl is a good level of poker and you can indeed make a living there. Do you think or see a reason why the same TAG style wouldnt work at FR?

It works fine at FR. I've played between 14/11 and 15/12 very profitably at 200nl.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so there isnt any reason to loosen up if playing tight is working fine for you then.
Its kinda really good to hear that because I thought it was best to play looser up at 100NL+ but as previously stated there is more than one way to win at this game but just wanted proof ;)

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so there isnt any reason to loosen up if playing tight is working fine for you then.
Its kinda really good to hear that because I thought it was best to play looser up at 100NL+ but as previously stated there is more than one way to win at this game but just wanted proof ;)

it's not really how tight or how loose you play in the end. It's about adapting to your table and getting into hands where you will have an advantage postflop and open-folding the rest. It can mean playing pretty loose from the CO if BTN is a nit. It can mean iso-raising a good fish pretty loosely because the regs on your left don't resteal. But it means removing all the marginal hands/situations from your preflop selection, because you don't really need to be loose to establish an image and get action.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's not really how tight or how loose you play in the end. It's about adapting to your table and getting into hands where you will have an advantage postflop and open-folding the rest. It can mean playing pretty loose from the CO if BTN is a nit. It can mean iso-raising a good fish pretty loosely because the regs on your left don't resteal. But it means removing all the marginal hands/situations from your preflop selection, because you don't really need to be loose to establish an image and get action.

I thought exactly the opposite of this.

After reading phil gordons book I now realise alot more about how much you need to think about decisions at the table and adapt to the different table conditions which is probably the most important thing I have learnt recently

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought exactly the opposite of this.

well, you can't be a super nit, play 9/6 and expect action, but people won't really make a difference whether you play 15/12 or 20/15.

itlegacy

itlegacy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm. I'm a nit {smile} too. Thanks for putting a "name" to my play tactics. And, when family priorities here at home seriously interrupt my game, I "dump" the chips .... which leaves the other players with the wrong impression [grin]. Their are later shocked when I revert back to my original format. Nit ... interesting term.