A high what you do?

N

NolwennC

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you call with A high on the river facing villain's half pot bet after you checked? More details: Villain just called your bet from pre-flop to turn.

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should post the entire hand history, so we see the board texture, the circumstances, all the history you've had with the villain etc. This question is too general for someone to give a good answer.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you call with A high on the river facing villain's half pot bet after you checked? More details: Villain just called your bet from pre-flop to turn.

With this information only, I wouldn't call. Did I understand it correctly that you raised on all streets that far? If so, they got you if you only have A high. They only need one pair, no matter how small, to beat you in that situation. Or even just a higher kicker unless yours was King. So that's my basic answer without any further information. For a better analysis we would need to know at least your kicker and the board texture. Preferably positions and playing styles as well. However, even with that information I would hardly never call with an A high if my opponent has been calling my raises from preflop to river.

EDIT: The only time I would consider continuing on river is if I would have a spot-on read that my opponent was drawing a flush and didn't got it on river. But even then I wouldn't just call but instead I would continue to bluff and reraise big. Still, quite risky.

Last edited:
W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More than likely they hit at least a pair if they called the entire time on decent pot raises. The hardest part is allowing yourself to cut your loss and not add that extra pot chunk at the end.