Is this a fishy call and should a misclick be a consideration.....

R

Riley2bits

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a hand last night and a decision to call on the turn is bothering me...

The game is a €1/€2 cash game with 9 players with a little bit of action. The button is on seat 5 and I am BB at seat 7.

On seat 1 there is a guy who is very cold faced and having sat at the table now for 3 hours he has not said a single word to anyone. I have been watching him fairly closely for any tells or anything else but nothing I could detect except that he seems to be a solid TAG player and probably best described as moderately aggressive. I have not seen him go all-in and I have not seen any of his cards at show down where he did not win although he did not win every hand - it just happened on the loosing hand the sequence meant he mucked before having to show. He has a stack of 700-800 euro that has been growing steadily over a few hours. On seat 9 we have a player who I know and who is a bit of a LAG - i.e. he is moderately aggressive with a wide range especially pre-flop.

The guys at the table probably regard me as a TAG and sometimes behave like a bit of a LAG. My aggression level is moderate and not bully(ish) and I try to vary a bit. I usually show the occasional missed bluff or where I didn't fill a draw. I had done this earlier in this game.

On this particular hand I am dealt A-10 of spades and there is a button straddle. I just call the straddle on BB and seat 9 calls also. Seat 1 raises to 25 and everyone folds around to me and I call. Seat 9 follows with a call. The Pot is now €85.

The flop comes Ace of diamonds, 2 of hearts and 6 of Spades. The betting from me and seat 9 goes check, check and seat 1 bets 40 - a fairly standard C-bet in my opinion. With top pair I decide to call but I genuinely misclicked and instead of putting in a €25 and 3 x €5 chips, I accidentally put in a €25, 2 x €5 chips and a €100 chip which was inadvertently mixed in my €5 chip stack. Instinctively, I called a misclick and the dealer spontaneously called the floor manager. The ruling was that because I didn't verbalise "Call" or anything else, then the floor manager, as expected, said the raise to €135 stood. Seat 9 folded and after a short pause (plus the time for the misclick discussion) Seat 1 called and the Pot was now €355.

The turn came 8 of spades and at this stage Seat 1 pushed all in with close to €600 . I had about €420 left in my stack.

This was my thinking was as follows :

I had mixed views - At this stage I put him on one of three types of hand - he either has a small set (perhaps 2, 6s or more likely 8s), he has AK or he has a high(ish) middle pair like JJ or QQ. I feel given the board texture that if he had pocket Aces then he would have played for value - as I said this level of all-in aggression is not something I have seen from him but maybe my misclick changed that. If he has a set or AK I am clearly behind but if he had the JJ or QQ I was already ahead with the nut flush draw.

When I considered his bet on the turn I am a little unsure. On one hand if he was trying to push me off the pot then the time to do that was immediately after I misclicked and before the turn but perhaps he didn't think of that right away or perhaps he still only had a non-ace pocket pair. As I said I felt that if he had the nuts set, with AA in his pocket then this was not a value bet and not a play for value.... The Pot was now €775 and all-in from me should have meant putting a further 420 into the pot.

I was trying to evaluate what the impact of the misclick might have been - did he see my declaration as weakness or regardless should this have had nothing to do with anything about my call decision.

In the end I called and I rivered the 9 or spades and won the pot of approx €1200. Because I was first to show he mucked and I did not see what he had.

My question is this .....

Was this a fishing call by me on the turn that just got lucky and what should I have done in this position ?

Thanks....

Last edited by a moderator:
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think there are several ways to assess this. IMHO you're giving seat 1 too much credit for the quality of his hands. His bet on the flop is weak and not typical for a set or a strong Ax. I think the best he could have had was a pair of 8s and otherwise JJ+.

Once you "misclicked", I think his strategy was to put you in an awkward spot as he interpreted weakness from that and believed you would tend to fold to a jam due to wanting to preserve your remaining stack after the "misclick". So I think this is a decent call. You have a good chance at improving to a nut flush and the cards in play make it highly unlikely he has aces.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Postflop your hand equity was 43% and after the turn it was 52%. For you to call the all-in, you are at 51% pot odds, since your equity at the turn is greater than that, the call is appropriate.

R

Riley2bits

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Many thanks to all for your replies ....