PupsikCat

PupsikCat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
The shorter the table, the more we are forced to expand the range and does the bet sizing change depending on the table, your opinion

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The shorter the table, the more we are forced to expand the range and does the bet sizing change depending on the table, your opinion
You are right mate: at 6-MAX tables we are paying the blinds 1 out of 3 times which forces us to play more loose and aggressively.
This is a very common theme here in the forum, and the reason that we should play more hands/range is because we gotta defend and steal the blinds in a higher frequency than compared to Full-Ring tables.
I hope this thread below helps you out:

Best regards

A

a1232

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I find 6 max harder with the wider ranges, it's harder to gauge others hands although the same can be said about your own hand so some may be able to better use this to their advantage.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are right about extending the range of hands. Due to the complexity of playing at a 6-seat table, I try to play at tables with a minimum of 9 players.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I agree with you that the fewer players at the table the greater the range should be. But regarding the size of the rates, I do not think that they should also increase. As always, everything should depend on the stage of the tournament, on the size of your stack and on the size of your opponents' stack.

bardhylmemaj

bardhylmemaj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AL
Chips
With a table of 6 players, for those who are starting out as a poker player, with 9 players they have more time to play.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I agree with you that the fewer players at the table the greater the range should be. But regarding the size of the rates, I do not think that they should also increase. As always, everything should depend on the stage of the tournament, on the size of your stack and on the size of your opponents' stack.
Hey mate thanks for posting. Without being too much rude, I’m afraid we are talking about cash tables here, once this is cash games thread, right?
I know the same idea is worth for both styles, but the OP have said nothing about tournaments, so I would assume it’s talking about cash.
Forgive me for any blunders

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You're right. Thats why i prefer to play 9 players. Just less crazy stuffs.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Less players means faster game and this needs to be more aggressive and play more loose, trying to win faster.

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I agree with you, at tables with few players we have to be more aggressive, otherwise the blinds go into space quickly.

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think 9 is better, you have more hands to see and your position has more influence. If you know how to position yourself and when to play you will have an advantage.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you are just starting, you should play 6 max and play more aggressively. Learn the game at 6 max in various applications and then switch to max 9 and also study in applications after you will be easier to play and understand the game

zer0ne

zer0ne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I prefer to play 6 max than playing 9 max in my opinion .

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
if you are just starting, you should play 6 max and play more aggressively. Learn the game at 6 max in various applications and then switch to max 9 and also study in applications after you will be easier to play and understand the game
I think 9 max is easier for beginners as you can play a solid TAG strategy and not feel too obliged to fight for the blinds without a hand.

That said I think some people prefer 6max, some 9 max. So I suggest people try both and play their preferred game.

Ranges are actually not that different, e.g. if it folds to me on the button I play basically the same hands whether its 9 max or 6 max. If the first three players fold at a 9 handed table then it shouldn't be that different to 6 max in theory (though the 9 max player pool can be more nitty)

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play one or the other depending on the focus I can give. Because 6-max is faster than 9-max.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think so, playing 6 poppy we expand our range, plus the shorter the table the more active the game, otherwise we will be severely exploited

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you are absolutely right, it is, but I prefer to play 6 max, I don’t like to wait and the game is more dynamic

iveta777

iveta777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play only 9-max tables i hate 6-max format because there play any 2 cards

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've stuck with 6max so far online. I put my own losing play in the 9 tables down to my previous misunderstanding of ranges and calling too loose (and too often, 3bet all the way!), but maybe I'll dip back in for something a little more relaxed (comparitivley!)

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Playing mostly 9-max tables in MTT once I had to master 6-max tables in MTT with a late registration of 4 hours 20 minutes and discovered an amazing thing for myself, it seemed easier to play on 6-max tables.